Author Topic: The Will Ferrell Appreciation Society  (Read 15518 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
The Will Ferrell Appreciation Society
« on: June 29, 2004, 12:23 PM »
Alright--anyone else looking forward to this one?

Ron Burgundy (Ferrell) is the top-rated anchorman in San Diego in the '70s. When feminism marches into the newsroom in the form of ambitious newswoman Veronica Corningstone (Applegate), Ron is willing to play along at first-as long as Veronica stays in her place, covering cat fashion shows, cooking, and other "female" interests. But when Veronica refuses to settle for being eye candy and steps behind the news desk, it's more than a battle between two perfectly coiffed anchor-persons... it's war.

IMDB page

Opens July 9.

Will Ferrell rules.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 03:32 PM by Jeff »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 12:25 PM »
Yes, yes I am.  Love his stuff, much better than most SNL Alums.  Sounds like a good premise, not sure if its a theater viewing or a rental down the road

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 12:26 PM »
And--holy crap--check out Ferrell's schedule:

Confederacy of Dunces, A (2004) (in production) .... Ignatius J. Reilly
Joan of Bark: The Dog that Saved France (2006) (announced)
Talladega Nights (2006) (announced)
Producers, The (2005) (announced) .... Franz Liebkind
Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny (2005) (announced) .... Music Shop Dude
Bewitched (2005) (pre-production) .... Jack Wyatt/Darrin Stephens
Kicking & Screaming (2005) (filming) .... Phil Weston
Curious George (2005) (filming) (voice) .... The Man in the Yellow Hat
Wendell Baker Story, The (2004) (post-production)
Melinda and Melinda (2004) (post-production)
Winter Passing (2004) (post-production) .... Corbit

I believe that--at this point--either he or Ben Stiller will be in every movie released from now until the end of 2005.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 12:36 PM »
I think it was the movie thread where I said that Dunces is in limbo, seems like financing has been pulled.  Not sure if he's totally right for the part anyway.

I love Curious George, ranks right up there in terms of my favorite book series as a kid.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381971/

Sounds like its animated as well...JediMAX will be 3 next year, might be his first real movie we go to.

Bewitched, huh...Nicole Kidman as Samantha...huh  Zany...I'll base my opinion on that one when the Siskel and Ebert of RS (Sanford and Depmode) give their reviews

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 12:47 PM »
I'll base my opinion on that one when the Siskel and Ebert of RS (Sanford and Depmode) give their reviews

Which reminds me--if they don't like Anchorman, I'd like to request that this thread be closed out of respect to them.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 12:48 PM »
Yeah, this looks like a good, funny movie. I'm hoping for it to be as good as Dodgeball.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 12:54 PM »

Will Ferrell rules.

That he does.  Just rewatched Old School recently and he is pure comedic gold.  Probably won't catch this in the theater, but will probably buy it on DVD.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 01:05 PM »
That he does.  Just rewatched Old School recently and he is pure comedic gold.  

I think his presence alone saves Old School from being a piece of crap.

YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 01:11 PM »
Spanish (Rick Gonzalez): "Come hit this right here! You need to hit this!"
Frank: "No, I appreciate it, but I told my wife I wouldn't drink tonight. Besides, I got a big day tomorrow, but but you guys have a great time."
Spanish: "Big day, doing what?"
Frank: "Well, um, actually a pretty nice little saturday, we're um, we're gonna go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed Bath And Beyond, I don't know. I Don't know if we'll have enough time."
Kids: "(Laughing)"
Frank: "Ok, you know what, you know what, gimmie that thing. I'll do one, I'll do one!"
Spanish: "He's gonna do one."
Frank: "I'll do one."
Spanish: "Now' that's a talented man right there. That's what I'm talking about!"
Frank: "Fill it up again!"
Kids: "(Cheering)"
Frank: "It's so good! Once it hit's your lips, It's so good!"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
We'll be catching this one as well if we can.  Big Will Ferrell fans, and all of his movies seem to have that sense of humor that we enjoy.  I kind of agree that he saved "Old School" as well, but I also enjoyed Vince Vaughn in that movie...."earmuffs".  I think I might have been expecting too much when I saw it though, but it was good.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
I went into Old School expecting nothing and came away laughing more at any movie since Kingpin which showcased the Over the Hill Bill Murray.  I think the scene where Ferrell take the Tranq Dart to the neck is one of the funniest scenes of the last 10 years

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Yeah, that scene is hilarious, you are right Scott.  Its a movie we haven't yet picked up on DVD, but the more I read the comments and think back about it, we may have to.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 03:38 PM »
This movie and Napolean are two comedies I've looked forward to seeing... :)

I'll base my opinion on that one when the Siskel and Ebert of RS (Sanford and Depmode) give their reviews

Which reminds me--if they don't like Anchorman, I'd like to request that this thread be closed out of respect to them.

Wouldn't you feel sort of akward if Cory liked a movie that you liked? I'd feel like I was in the wrong.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Will Ferell is great, I can't wait for this movie.

Christ, it sounds like he's going to be doing a lot of movies. More power to him.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 05:07 PM »

I think his presence alone saves Old School from being a piece of crap.

YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE!

Can't argue with that.  Everyone I've talked agrees that Will made the movie.  And most of them (including myself) seem to think it would have been so much better if Casey Kelso wasn't in it.
Common sense isn't so common