Author Topic: NFL Offseason 2004  (Read 50946 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: NFL Preseason '04
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2004, 06:34 PM »
NY Giants name Warner as the Starting QB.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2835314

Eli Manning is holding his breath in hopes it will change coach Coughlin's mind....

Coughlin when asked if the Tantrum would work before opening day had this to say:

"If he threw a pass like he throws a hissy fit, he'd have the starting job in a heartbeat."

Archie Manning has scheduled a conference with the Mayor of NYC, the GOP National Convention, The protesters outside, the International Olympic Committee and the NHLPA to see if they can do something about how poorly his son has been treated by the organization.... :'(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2004, 06:42 PM »
NY Giants name Warner as the Starting QB.....

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2835314

Eli Manning is holding his breath in hopes it will change coach Coughlin's mind....

Coughlin when asked if the Tantrum would work before opening day had this to say:

"If he threw a pass like he throws a hissy fit, he'd have the starting job in a heartbeat."

Archie Manning has scheduled a conference with the Mayor of NYC, the GOP National Convention, The protesters outside, the International Olympic Committee and the NHLPA to see if they can do something about how poorly his son has been treated by the organization.... :'(

What a load of crap!  Eli has proven himself to be a lot more professional than a lot of other rookies.  The decision was based on Friday's game, pure and simple.  Eli Manning has stated that he still has a lot to learn, and has been pretty humble through all of training camp.  I think people still have sour grapes because he didn't want to play for San Diego.  And BTW, look what happened there:  Philip Rivers held out until about a week ago because San Diego was trying to give him a deal that was so incentive loaded that he was going to get screwed.  The incentive package they offered wasn't feasible for any rookie QB to meet those standards.  So now tell me that  there's nothing wrong with a 1st rounder not wanting to go to San Diego?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2004, 10:48 AM »
Sounds like Brock lesnar is going to get cut, probably won't make the practice sqaud either.  He did get a tackle on Friday night though on the last play of the game.  People went nuts.  If I were owner of the Vikes I would make sure there was a spot on the Practice Sqaud for Mister Lesnar, his Jersey sales would pay for the spot itself

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2004, 06:17 PM »
Sounds like Brock lesnar is going to get cut, probably won't make the practice sqaud either.  He did get a tackle on Friday night though on the last play of the game.  People went nuts.  If I were owner of the Vikes I would make sure there was a spot on the Practice Sqaud for Mister Lesnar, his Jersey sales would pay for the spot itself

If he's really serious about this, he should pursue playing with the Arena league and/or NFL Europe.  I can't say that I'm surprised he'll be cut.  He hasn't played organized ball since High School.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #124 on: September 3, 2004, 10:13 AM »
so, how about some predictions for the coming year?

Alrighty then, barring any major injuries tonight, here goes

AFC East: New England Patriots
AFC North: Baltimore Ravens
AFC South: Indianapolis Colts
AFC West: Kansas City Chiefs
AFC Wild Card #1: New York Jets
AFC Wild Card #2: Cincinnati Bengals
AFC Championship: Indianapolis beats New England

Now, Tennessee and Denver I think also have legitimate shots at both the Wild Card and their Division Titles, its just the Jets and Bengals play in an easier division, plus the Jets get to play SF and ARI.  New England and the Colts should be the two best teams, and I think the Colts are going to find a way to get homefield.  Should be a great year in the much more competitive AFC

NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles
NFC North: Minnesota Vikings
NFC South: Atlanta Falcons
NFC West: Seattle Seahawks
NFC Wild Card #1: Washington Redskins
NFC Wild Card #2: Green Bay Packers
NFC Championship: Philly over Minnesota

Two most overrated teams in football are the Saint Louis Rams and the Green Bay Packers this year.  I've seen them both ranked in the top 10 in a lot of preseason rankings and I think that is total B.S.  They have both gotten worse over last year and Mike Martz is still the head coach of the Rams.  The NFC South is definitely the most competitive division in Football and could easily see both Wild Cards or all 4 teams challenge for the Division spot in the playoffs.  Its possible Dallas and Detroit are contending for that last Playoff spot but I don't think its gonna happen

Super Bowl: Indianapolis over Philadelphia

You heard it here first :-*

As far as my team, the Purple and Gold, The Vikings are on the right track but they have a lot of young talent that needs one more year to come together on D.  This is Philly's year finally, they signed the big free agents and they are poised to go deep.  Home field will be huge as always  and so are injuries, everything could change in the breaking of Peyton Manning's leg in Week 1

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 3, 2004, 12:50 PM »
The moment you've all been waiting for, Mikey D's preseason picks:

AFC East: Patriots (like there was any doubt)
AFC South: Indy
AFC West: Denver
AFC North: Baltimore
WC's: KC and Cinncy

NFC East: Eagles
NFC South: Carolina
NFC West: Seattle (and it should be a run away, the weakest division IMO)
NFC North: Minnesota
WC's: Atlanta and Green Bay

AFC Championship:  New England over Indy (the Pats absolutely own Peyton Manning and Belichick has an answer to whatever he does)

NFC Championship:  Philadelphia over Seattle

Super Bowl: I'm as happy as a pig in **** with 2 wins in three years, so I'll pick the Eagles for their first SB win.  Either way, I'm happy and my brother can stop bitching and moaning about the Eagles never winning.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 3, 2004, 01:54 PM »
wow, a lot of people picking seattle to win the west (except for me, the seahawks fan  :o ) , here and elsewhere.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #127 on: September 3, 2004, 01:58 PM »
Rams...

Got killed in the playoffs, lost Turley for the year, lost Grant Wistrom and have Aneas Williams, Isaac Bruce and Marshall Faulk all with another year of tread on the tires...plus they have the biggest moron of a coach in NFL history, plus I am not and never have been sold on Bulger.  They are way, way overrated

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 3, 2004, 02:33 PM »
Rams...

Got killed in the playoffs, lost Turley for the year, lost Grant Wistrom and have Aneas Williams, Isaac Bruce and Marshall Faulk all with another year of tread on the tires...plus they have the biggest moron of a coach in NFL history, plus I am not and never have been sold on Bulger.  They are way, way overrated

Exactly.  Then consider the other two teams in the division and Seattle walks away with this one, methinks.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 3, 2004, 05:45 PM »
Predictions, huh?

AFC East - Patriots
AFC North - Baltimore (provided Jamal Lewis stays out of JAIL)
AFC South - Colts
AFC West - Chiefs

NFC East - Giants (I just can't pick against them or my head would explode)
NFC North - What a crapshoot.  I'm going out on a limb, but I'm gonna say Lions.  They have SO MANY offensive weapons that I think they might turn some heads.
NFC South - Panthers
NFC West - Seahawks.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #130 on: September 8, 2004, 02:59 PM »
For those NOT in the Fantasy League and still want to get in on Football talk here at JD

I've set up a couple of things over at ESPN.com

First one is Pigskin Pickem, basically its the JD Office Pool

http://games.espn.go.com/pigskin/frontpage

Group Name: JediDefender
Password: berry

The next is another type of pool called the Eliminator, where you pick one team every week and go until you get a team wrong...

http://games.espn.go.com/eliminator/frontpage

And the final one is called GridIron Challenge where you assemble a roster of whoever you want based on a Salary Cap of 50 points and try and score as many points as you can...

http://games.espn.go.com/gridiron/frontpage

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #131 on: September 9, 2004, 01:30 PM »
Do any of you guys make picks each week? Do you pick with the spread or just winners? We should make our picks each week.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #132 on: September 9, 2004, 02:58 PM »
Yeah I just set that up Spiderlegs

No spread...just pick the winners

First one is Pigskin Pickem, basically its the JD Office Pool

http://games.espn.go.com/pigskin/frontpage

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #133 on: September 9, 2004, 03:42 PM »
Recruited and ready.

Oh yeah and

GO COWBOYS!!! GO COWBOYS!!! GO COWBOYS!!! GO COWBOYS!!! GO COWBOYS!!!
« Last Edit: September 9, 2004, 03:58 PM by SPIDERLEGS »