Author Topic: www.TheArtOfBradSmith.com  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
www.TheArtOfBradSmith.com
« on: June 24, 2004, 11:54 PM »
I finally got around to buying a website to host some of my artwork. Features will include News & Updates, an online portfolio, and the standard Short Bio and Commission & Contact Info and links... Very excited about this! I'm using the JediDefender navy-blue and gold, with an added bit of white, and black. Here's the banner I've designed, whatcha think?

« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 11:57 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: www.TheArtOfBradSmith.com
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 12:00 AM »
Here's a small banner that I'm going to con some friends into putting on their web-pages,  :P.

God the crow's feet...  :'(

Anyway, my site won't be up and running for a while - Berry is helping me so I'm relying on him to do all the high tech gadgetry and such - until it's up and ready it'll just go to JediDefender.  8)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 12:02 AM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 01:09 AM »
Hey man, good Jimi!
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 08:35 PM »
I like the top type treatment and think the bottom is too busy and the hard line type bookends for the cursive signature doesn't work. I also think the simple eye portrait is well stated and the top with the showcase of art is too busy. Let the art speak for itself and make it straight and simple and clean. Design your own logo or pattern or symbol and put it on the banner, but make it short and sweet.

If I was a teacher of yours, I'd ask for at least 10 different thumbnail ideas and type treatments. Stetch it and play and don't settle or do it to get it done. This is YOU, not school and I think you can do better. In fact I know it. Do yourself justice. Maybe you just use the signature and then a small site address across the bottom.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 12:04 AM »
Thanks for the tips, but let me make sure I understand them :

Top banner (with the art) :

Good type styles, but straighten the art (and the overall design), remove the photo, add in a trademark, remove the horizontal lines.

Bottom banner (eyes) :

Remove the horizontal lines.

Okay, if I misunderstood let me know! I actually felt the lines on the bottom banner were okay - but I did feel that the black space in the top banner felt a little blank... Anywho, let me know if I understood you and I'll get to work on doing them over.

PS. My teacher has me doing 5 illustrations for a mock-up NASA magazine article titled 'Space... Where no man has gone before.' One month for 5 illustrations, most of them fully colored - yuck!