Author Topic: Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**  (Read 30687 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Olympics **beware of SPOILERS**
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2004, 01:51 PM »
ESPN has this article up regarding today's altercation in the US - Spain game.  Its too bad there are hard feelings over this, and that it had to end up this way.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Sore Loser...wow what a tool, sure you were 5-0 but they beat you, go sulk in Spain ::)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2004, 03:05 PM »
Sure reads like sour grapes.

Interesting comment though:
...officials allowed the Americans to get away with multiple traveling violations.  I think this game was played under NBA rules, not FIBA rules.

Now, I have not seen the game or any footage, but if he has a point on the latter, that is a serious smack in the face.  FIBA rules, IMO, are the big reason the Americans have been having the difficulties they have experienced thus far.  "whaddya mean traveling, that was only four steps" comes to mind. 

Not that there are ever discrepancies in Olympic games.  Hey, point scoring error, no big, I'm keeping my gold medal even if the rest of the world knows I finished second :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Looks like this is going to continue to be the story of the Olympics right now.  The first good game put together by the US marred by this "timeout".  Sigh.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2004, 03:46 PM »
Pardon my crust-iferous-ness, but much as I like Jack McCallum, I hardly think a guy who makes his living writing about the NBA is going to take a hard line against a bunch of future and present NBA stars. 

I will agree that in no way has the US taken time and effort to lay down.  They sucked, plain and simple early on. 

The roughness factor of the game is irrelevant IMO.  Traveling may be relevant.  McCallum addresses the roughness factor only, I wonder if there is some truth by omission? 

The time out is irrelevant to the end story.  Frankly, it sounds like the US shot well.  So long as they weren't aided by an excess of traveling non-calls, then they won fair and square.  They are phenomenonally talented, hard to argue with that. 

I still hope they lose ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2004, 03:50 PM »
I was able to watch much of the game this morning, and to be honest, I didn't notice traveling...or at least any more than normal.  That said, I am used to watching a lot of NBA basketball too, so maybe that has something to do with it.  However, I never really noticed the crowd (which was vocal, and quite anti-US) nor the Spain players/coaches complaining about any traveling/non-traveling.  There was some rough play, both ways, and very inconsistent reffing (especially in that area), which from what I understand from the announcers today is common in International play (the inconsistent reffing, that is).  Both teams had plenty to complain about on that side of things I thought...lots of no calls, missed calls, etc.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2004, 03:58 PM »
Fair enough, a first hand account. 

Traveling is a big pet peeve of mine with the NBA.  I've said it before, but all these recent guys claiming they can dunk from the free throw line just like Dr. J did back in the day is priceless.  He did it without traveling you buffoons.  Huge difference there.  Not that dunk contests were ever by the rules, but even with those, I have more respect for the old guys. 

As I said above, the roughness is not a factor, IMO.  Brown apparently commented on expecting a physical matchup, NOT because of his guys, but because of both teams.  That's reasonable. 

If there was no whining during the game about traveling, then it's too late and artificial now.  Game US, shut up Spain.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2004, 04:03 PM »
I'm trying to objective...I certainly didn't notice them whining about traveling during the game, unless I missed it.  I did see whining (both ways) about the uncalled fouls, but that is pretty much true of any game anymore.  I agree with the traveling though Brent, I could do without quite all the "superstar treatment" in the NBA.  It has been building for years now, I can still remember them showing a replay of Dominique Wilkins, looking to pass from the top of the key (after he picked up his dribble), and them highlighting and closing in on his feet.  He took five small steps forward while he was "pump faking" the ball above his head looking for the pass.  Ridiculous.  Some traveling is going to happen, that's part of the game, but doing it intentionally or all of the time?  I'd rather they cleaned up the game of it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2004, 05:19 PM »
And....even more on the game today....

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2004, 05:35 PM »
At least the Media can now re-hash this new contoversy to death...  ::)

It's a good thing, because I was getting sick of hearing about that poor gymnast dude.  LET IT GO!

:P

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2004, 10:50 PM »
Which gymnast dude?  There's a couple to pick from.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2004, 02:43 AM »
I love it
We won silver in the baseball!!!
We don't even have a national league and we came second
Love it
Hey and we are even upto 3rd on the tally
Go aussie
Aussie Aussie Aussie
oi oi oi
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2004, 02:53 PM »
BIG SPOILER!!!!

U.S. Basketball team just lost to Argentina.  Kiss the Gold (and even Silver) goodbye...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 02:54 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2004, 02:54 PM »
Just saw that as well Matt, very disappointing...at least to me.  Most people are pretty happy to see this I am sure, but I guess just being such a big basketball fan all these years, I was really hoping they could pull it off.  Oh well, what can you do...when you get outplayed, you get outplayed.

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2004, 06:19 PM »
My fiance and I have been watching most of the Olympic coverage each night, and it's been pretty interesting and entertaining for the most part.  I don't know if my expectations are just too high, expecting the U.S. to win at everything, but I'm rather disappointed with quite a lot of their efforts.

Looks like the women's 4 x 100 relay team screwed up today on a baton handoff (involving Marion Jones), and didn't medal.  She whiffed on the long jump too.  Should've stayed doped up!  Just a real crappy day for the "home team".  At least we kicked butt in the pole vault though!   :P

Men's basketball?  Don't even get me started.  At this point, if the NBA scrubs are going to start losing now, they might as well just go back to all collegiate players, so we at least have an excuse for losing and it's not so embarrasing.