Author Topic: VOTC: You going clamshelled, carded, loose, or all of the above?!  (Read 7355 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
So here's another question (which may have already been asked), are (carded) people going to keep them in their plastic clamshells, which have all the OTC stuff attached to them, or are folks going to pop them out and just display the "vintage-esque" carded figure by itself?  Are the "loose" collectors contemplating grabbing a carded set too?

I'm leaning toward going with the whole clamshell packaging myself, just 'cause it's technically more "complete" that way, and still looks pretty sharp...

Speaking of which, how are people's clam-shells looking?  Initial reports seemed to be saying that the clam-shell was pretty thin and thus was being scrunched straight from the cases...

Jeff, not sure if you caught Jared's post a couple pages back (now in a different thread after the split here), from when he found 'em all at K-mart a couple days ago:

Well, these have shown up at retail. The ones I found all had squished clamshells. You'd think for premium packaging and price Hasbro could have packed them more carefully. The cards inside survived fine, but I'm thinking my carded ones have to stay inside the clamshell because of the OTC silver banner thats incorporated into the front of the shell. How very frustrating...

I got Jared's leftovers, and they were pretty much dinged up too, and in a couple spots, downright smashed.  Haven't found any other examples to compare them to yet.  Hopefully this won't be the case across the board though...   :-\
« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 07:39 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
VOTC figures: Clamshelled, carded, loose, all of the above?!
« Reply #1 on: July 9, 2004, 03:57 PM »
Yeah, I saw Jared's post and a few others around the net, which all seemed to say the clamshells were squished (those are the "initial reports" I was referring).  

I was just wondering if anyone else (like B or anyone else who found them) had better clam-shells.  I'd like to think they aren't all scrunched...  :(

And, count me in on the "displaying-in-the-clamshell" crowd.  I'll buy a set to keep clam-shelled, and then a second set to open, but that's it.

I do have a friend who is buying a THIRD set, which he plans to display un-clamshelled along side his Vinty 12-backs, but he is crazy. ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 9, 2004, 04:04 PM »
My clamshell was in pretty good shape too...but it came from Amazon, so maybe that made some sort of a difference.

I've been struggling with how to display this line too.  Aside from a handful of figures over the year, I have opened everything I've gotten, but for some reason it is really tough to open this one up.  I'd really like to get two sets, one to open, and one to leave carded and displayed.  They just look nice that way...and I like the little bit of added protection that the clamshell gives too.  What is everyone else doing with this line....1 to leave carded...1 to open...2 to have one of each...or 3, 4, or 5 of them? ;)

I have to say again, those vintage cards sure are purdy.  Can't wait to find some OTC waves as well (especially Dagobah).  Making me feel all nostalgia-ey :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 9, 2004, 04:17 PM »
Yeah, I saw Jared's post and a few others around the net, which all seemed to say the clamshells were squished (those are the "initial reports" I was referring).

Whoops, glanced right past that part...   :P

Funny, but your "wacky" friend there is doing something that I've been somewhat contemplating myself...  A third set - only carded without the clamshell.  But yeah, that would mean I'm even more of a freak than I already am, and that's somewhat disconcerting, so I'm trying to avoid that thought at all costs...   :-\

Hell, if these were coming in at standard figure prices in the $5 range, I'd probably be getting 4 or 5 of each, like usual...  (carded, loose, diorama, custom fodder...)   :-[  And that's not even counting the army building ones.   ::)

Hopefully Hasbro wisely recards these 12 figures into the standard OTC line (or other future line) at some point, so we can get a few extras of them for quite a bit cheaper later on down the road...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 09:19 AM »
I was going to start a new topic for this, but since this is the VOTC thread, I'll put it here.  I was just curious what many of you are doing for this line.  Are you buying one set, to open....are you buying two sets (one open, one carded), are you not even buying all of them?  What is your plan of action.  I ask because I'm not sure what to do.  I definitely want a complete set, and I'm usually an opener through and through, but after receiving Han via Amazon last week, I'm having troubles prying him open.  Ideally, I'd like to have two sets, to be able to leave one carded...but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to talk the Mrs. into that.  Which, I guess, I can understand.  At $10 a figure, it isn't exactly a cheap endeavor to get more than one set.  I guess I was just wondering what you are doing, how many you are buying, and if you could only buy one set...would you leave them carded or loose?  It has nothing to do with future value, I'd never sell these, I guess I just think about leaving them carded since they look so spiffy.  But I want to break that Han out to check it out closer so bad :P.  Might have to at least get two of him (and Chewie).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 10:07 AM »
I'm buying one to keep open and one to keep carded

SilverZ

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 02:34 PM »
I was going to start a new topic for this, but since this is the VOTC thread, I'll put it here.  I was just curious what many of you are doing for this line.  Are you buying one set, to open....are you buying two sets (one open, one carded), are you not even buying all of them?  What is your plan of action.  

This has been a problem in need of great pondering from me lately. My plan is basically 1 set to open, 1 set to keep carded minus the clamshell, and a single carded with clamshell.

I've discovered that I hate the plastic clamshells. They're ugly to me because of the excess plastic at the top, above the card, and the tape on all sides looks tacky. What bugs me most is that the silver OTC logo is built into the clamshell, and therefore if the cards (which are beautiful on their own) are taken out, it’s not technically mint. So, I'm figuring I'll only keep one in the clamshell for posterity.

I think it’s the most economical way for me to go and still accommodate my completist neurosis.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: VOTC figures: Clamshelled, carded, loose, all of the above?!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 07:38 PM »
I was going to start a new topic for this, but since this is the VOTC thread, I'll put it here.

Ah, what the hell, for variety's sake, I went ahead and took your suggestion here Bri, and split these posts off from the main VOTC thread, starting with where I originally pondered this same question.

Personally, I'm going to start with just a clamshelled and loose set of each, and wait and see if I can find some kind of better deal somehow to possibly snag a third set to pull outta the clamshell, and display just the carded portion of the figure...

So 3 sets (from all 3 movies) would only run me about $400.  Yeah, that's not too bad...   :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
One set carded, one set opened.

I would consider a third set, but for my display area, it would require punching the cards, which is not something I'm willing to do. Plus the $10 isn't all that conducive to yet another set.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC figures: Clamshelled, carded, loose, all of the above?!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 09:32 PM »
I'm buying one to keep open and one to keep carded
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC: You going clamshelled, carded, loose, or all of the above?!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 09:33 PM »
My cases are so screwed up right now that I'll have 4 Luke's and 3 Han's!!  I guess I'll be doing a little bit of all three (since I only will be getting one Lando and one Leia).  

I have yet to actually have one in my hand so it's hard for me to say if I will keep the clam shell on.  I have a feeling if I end up with two of each, they'll be loose and carded w/o the shell.
Beth

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 09:38 PM »
So far I have no idea what I am going to do. I was thinking of getting the odd carded figures that are eye candy to me but other than that, this may be the end of my modern collecting days.  :-\

Offline austinPOTF

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Drive Fast, Walk Slow
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 10:11 PM »
I'm a carded collector save for anything that has to do with the Cantina or Jabba's Palace dioramas that I keep adding openers to.

My plan for VOTC is simple. Buy one set of everything and discard the clam shell.  :o My reasoning is this. I couldn't care less about the clam shell save for the fact it will maintain the integrity of the card back and bubble during shipping and retail display. I want to display the figures carded, but since they are not punched I can't just hang them by the peg. Instead, I'm going to put them in Star Cases for hanging display because there is NO WAY I'm going to let the stock clam shell hide that oh so nostalgic Kenner logo. :D

I'll pick up extras of figures like Han for opening because you just can't pass that up incredible sculpt.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 09:29 AM »
Thanks for the new topic Matt ;).  I am usually a loose collector, and definitely want a set of these to open....but I'd like to have another one to keep carded as well.  My wife isn't to keen on the idea of buying 2 each of these $10 figures, and I can kind of understand that too, so I'm not sure what is going to happen.  I received a Han via Amazon.com last week, and have just been admiring him through the plastic so far.  Obi and Leia are now on their way as well, and I'm awfully tempted to open them up.  Part of me wants to leave them carded "just in case" Hasbro re-releases these later on, cheaper.  Of course, that will probably be awhile if ever.  I think I will at least pick up a few extras to keep carded if I can't do the whole line (Han, Chewie, Vader....oh heck, all of them would be nice :P).

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2004, 12:29 PM »
My plan is to order cases from etailers. Since they come with duplicates, I will open one figure, then keep the duplicates carded (or in the clamshell, whatever it is).
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks