Author Topic: Why have a 2nd Death Star in ROTJ?  (Read 6444 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Why have a 2nd Death Star in ROTJ?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 07:52 PM »
The passageway could have been temporary - I've always believed that all of the "pores" on this DS would be sealed or patched over once the construction was completed.

I also agree that the Empire was probably going to construct a large number of DS' in order to keep a grip on individual systems.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 11:14 PM »
I guess I was talking more from a laziness side on the part of the film maker.  I'd like to almost see ROTJ redone with the battle done around Coruscant instead of on DSII...sort of making the circle more complete.  It could ALMOST be done with the present footage, but in the end it would make no sense.

Maybe someday 50 years from now they will remake the OT

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2005, 04:52 AM »
I always figured the Death Stars were psychological weapons like the AT-AT. If you're going to have an entire galaxy under your heel, you need something that has the capability of blowing a couple out-of-line planets away.

When the Rebels blew up the first one, the Emporer was probably all "**** you, I'll rebuild and build BIGGER." Politicians are like that.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline MastaOB1

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 01:57 AM »
Scott, don't forget that Coruscant is a Tim Zahn brainchild.  It didn't exist when ROTJ was made.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 01:27 PM »
Well, the idea of an Imperial Lava Filled Capital was kicked around at the time of ROTJ...the name Coruscant was given to the Capital world later on, but the idea was always there

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 06:27 AM »
Maybe someday 50 years from now they will remake the OT

BITE YOUR TONGUE MISTER!!!

Such blasphemy.....   :P

Though an alternate universe ROTJ where the battle takes place on Coruscant is doable in the comics world thanks to Inifnities...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 06:32 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2005, 05:43 PM »
As always, I will try to bring this down to the lowest possible common denominator, but I always think of it this way now, as John Hurt's Character in Contact said (and I'm paraphrasing:) Why build one when you can build two for twice the price?"
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #22 on: June 4, 2005, 06:36 PM »
Believe it or not, I totally can buy that it took 20 years to complete the first Death Star.  If you ever look at how the military brings a new weapon system from the drawing board to the front lines, it's a long process and takes about the same amount of time.

Plus, dealing with a prototype, there's going to be all sorts of unforseen problems which slows down the production.  I could see this being even worse with a moon-sized space station!  Once you get the first one done, making subsequent modaels are much easier, since you have learned to overcome most of the obstacles making the original.

I could also see that the Emperor would want a bunch of Death Stars.  These things aren't exactly the fastest moving vehicles in the galaxy, and you'd really need a bunch of them to keep the rebellious star systems in line.
This is the way.

I have spoken.