Author Topic: New Changes in DVD Leaked Yet? Whats the Scoop?  (Read 9855 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
New Changes in DVD Leaked Yet? Whats the Scoop?
« on: July 15, 2004, 02:52 PM »
With the arrival of the DVDs in a few months it seems strange that no one has leaked info on the reported changes ???  I thought these DVD's were screened within the last month or so?  If not, shouldnt they have been?  We've heard alot of rumors but where are the facts.  Good heads up with Scott on the OTC exclusive Emperor pic which shows Ian McDirmad in the pic.  But what about the other rumors?  Supposedly we also have a cleaned up Jabba scene and sped up lightsaber duel for ANH.  Also the insertion of Hayden Christensen in ROTJ in both the helmet removal scene and Jedi Spirit scene (which pictures have surfaced).  What other changes are rumored to take place?

SilverZ

Re: New Changes in DVD Leaked Yet? Whats the Scoop?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 05:57 PM »
Yep, they were shown (or at least parts). They showed lots of material at a press event a few weeks back, but there's an embargo on reviews or previews up at the moment. The discs themselves should hit replication in a week or two and then I'd expect tons of screens/confirmations to finally hit. The best online resource is the mega-thread at Home Theater Forum:

HTF Star Wars DVD
The first post is updated whenever new info arrives.

It's a good source for debunking a lot of the wilder rumors, and some decent conversation rationalizing what does seem to have been changed/added.

In summary:

- Effects reworks include saber effects in ANH, optical matteline removal in all 3 (ships, Rancor)

- Cantina "Greedo shoots first" scene has been reworked with better timing and a new Han reaction. Video was leaked some weeks back.

- Docking Bay 5 Jabba scene still rumored to include a re-rigged CGI Jabba based on the TPM-era model.

- Vader's ESB transmition to the Emperor now uses newly filmed Ian McD, new dialog lines that better explain/conform to 6 movie arc, with Emperor's theme music que added.

- Hayden headswapped in Force Ghosts scene. Apparently not in the unmasking, though.

- Naboo added to end celebration montage.

Those seem to be the confirmed alterations that are majorly noticable. There's more rumors though with more sources than the "fanboy" wishlist that started a lot of the bogus rumors:

- Added shots to the Battle of Hoth to expand scope.

- Alteration/deletion of lines from Luke and Leia's dialog about her mother and what she remembers. Again for consistency with PT.

- Boba Fett's lines ADR'ed by Tem Morrisson. (But not Stormtroopers). This will be the new "Luke Scream" amongst us fanboys, for sure.

A French version of the OT DVD trailer appeared online from a DVD magazine rip last week that included updated shots, including the lightsaber effects, but also offered a couple hints that made some attendees of the LFL press event hint that similar smalls adustments are made throughout the movies. Here are the comparison shots:

New sabers.

Corridor set has new digital extension removing the white light at the end.

This sparked a lot of comments and small observances, like the muzzle flashes on guns in ANH being removed, digital set extensions, matte painting replacements; things like that are the new speculation topic. The French trailer also indicates that the movies have new color timing, removing the blue-ish hue that plagued the SE's transfer.

One last area that gets overlooks in the audio. No one knows yet what has been changed, but all are assuming there will be a glut of controversy, as the sound designers have done complete remixes, going all the way down to the FX stems. We may get some corrections to missing dialog like "you're lucky you don't taste good" and other hated things like Luke's wussy scream as he plummets from Bespin may still be there in all their glory.

We should get a good shot in the arm of tidbits once ComiCon gets rolling, but I'm expecting the full onslaught of alterations to start hitting when screeners land in mid-August.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 10:41 PM »
We should get a good shot in the arm of tidbits once ComiCon gets rolling, but I'm expecting the full onslaught of alterations to start hitting when screeners land in mid-August.  

oh man, you don't know how many calls i've made to my sales reps. countless. at the very worst, i should have a set in hand by sept 15/16, so you can bet you'll be seeing a review on the main page  ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 05:05 PM »
Saw this at milleniumfalcon.com

Episode IV: A New Hope DVD:

* Light Sabers changed for Vader versus Ben Kenobi Death Star duel.
* TractorBeam control now in Aurebesh.
* Han and Greedo scene slightly changed (everyone's seen this).
* Jabba the Hutt redone from Special Edition Jabba.
* Boba Fett still mugs camera.
* Han still steps on tail - "You're a wonderful human being" - still there.
(The scene is an improvement over the SE - however, still not great.)

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

* Emperor replaced with Ian McDiarmid.
Dialogue in this scene has been slightly modified, indicating either that the Emperor knows it was Luke who nuked the Death Star, or that he is Vader's son. Maybe both. Otherwise, dialogue remains in tact. Emperor's theme from Jedi also added into the scene.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi:

* Hayden Christenson has replaced Sebastian Shaw only in the Force Ghost shot.

* Line about Leia remembering her mother while talking to Luke on the Ewok Village veranda has either been omitted, or modified.

* Naboo has been added to the final planetary celebration montage at the end of the movie. It is a shot very similar to the helicopter shot of Theed in TPM when AATs are moving up the street towards the palace.

Original Trilogy Bonus Materials Extras:

* Episode III teaser trailer.
* Episode III Vader "making of" featurette.
* Easter Egg: Warwick Davis short film of Wickett the Ewok fighting Boba Fett on the Death Star II, shot as a gag during the filming of Return of the Jedi.

Episode I DVD Re-Release:

* Puppet Yoda has been replaced completely by CGI.

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 03:18 PM »

SE

EDIT: Better 2004 pic
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 01:59 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 07:49 PM »
I am so damn nervous about the trilogy being molested... God I hope Lucas would just put the original trilogy '77 out, too.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 08:01 PM »
Glad I got my copy of the original on DVD!  ;D

SilverZ

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 02:02 AM »
The ROTJ disc has leaked all over the net in today, and apparently ANH just popped up as well, so we should see shots of the new Jabba shortly.

In the meantime, those with Hyperspace might want to check out that Ep3 title reveal video - the ANH shots in there show the new saber effects.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 02:02 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 03:43 PM »
Is that Hayden as old decrepit Anakin?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 04:13 PM »
ugh... that shot is horrible. looks the timing is completely off... hayden looks down and away from obi-wan before obi-wan even looks at him... and if you're gonna replace anakin with a younger version, why not change obi was well? not that i would want to see that. ever. but why change 1 and not the other?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 06:56 PM »

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 03:06 AM »
Is that Hayden as old decrepit Anakin?

Nope, it's still Shaw, sans eyebrows.  That's a nitpicky change, IMO, but whatever.

and if you're gonna replace anakin with a younger version, why not change obi was well?
Yeah, that was my reaction too. But, it's been widely discussed in spoiler forums that there are reasons for the change that we'll understand... later.

Check out these comparisons shots of the old and new Rancor scene, which was the worst compositing job in the whole OT. It was aweful even in '83. The huge black matte lines are gone at last. It looks like they've digitally recomposited and done contrast tweaks to match black levels, thank god.

I've pulled these from the ongoing HTF thread, which is nerdy and totally rules:

SE

SE

Not that it's perfect. Notice that either the new transfer's color timing or the new compositing job has completely eliminated any color from the overhead light pools. Not sure if the 2004 version is accurate or not.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 03:08 AM by Tydirium »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 02:13 PM »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 02:20 PM »
Just found this pic on another forum, looks like an updated Jabba from A New Hope:

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 02:24 PM »
There seems to be a few more at this link.  A few posts down, they are listed (at least for now).  There also seems to be a couple of Vader shots from ROTS, so spoiler-sensitive people be warned.