Author Topic: NEW JediDefender.com Review: "Bar2-D2"  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
NEW JediDefender.com Review: "Bar2-D2"
« on: July 18, 2004, 03:14 AM »
Hey guys and gals, finally we're back with a new review on the front page, and hopefully this'll be the first of many to come in the near future (I know, we're behind on things!  Catch up time!)...

This review is for the amazing "Bar2-D2" figure, or R2-D2 (Jabba's Sailbarge) for its more official name from Hasbro.  :)

CLICK HERE FOR THE REVIEW!

So click on through and enjoy...  I have to say, it was a figure I enjoyed.  Probably the best "vanilla" R2-D2 to-date, far surpassing the previous reign of R2 w/holo Leia.  A nice job by Hasbro to make R2 more than a "scene specific" figure.

But, as always, read the review to see what I didn't like about him as well.  No figure's perfect...  Ever.   ;)  :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: NEW JediDefender.com Review: "Bar2-D2"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 12:01 AM »
jesse, great review as always. i love to read what other people think about these figures and see if our opinions are the same.

yeah, pretty much on this one.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 12:36 AM »
Thanks Dave!

Yeah, R2 was one of the better figures this year I think...  Or at least as good as another R2 could be.  They're really milking that character at this point.  He's the new Tatooine Luke when you think about his many recent renditions.

Funny thing is they can do more still...  A pop-up saber version and "w/tools" version that are better than pervious attempts could really be pulled off well.

I'd sooner have a new R5 though than another R2.  After VOTC I'm spent on R2-D2 for a while.  R5 would rock, as would some astro repaints.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 11:23 PM »
Funny thing is they can do more still...  A pop-up saber version and "w/tools" version that are better than pervious attempts could really be pulled off well.

ask, and ye shall recieve. kinda. the votc r2 has a detachable buzz saw arm. looks okay from the small pic i saw on hyperspace.

edit: actually now that i go back and look at it again, it not only has a detachable buzz saw arm, but it looks almost like it actually has hinged, opening compartments on the front of his body. one can only hope.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 11:24 PM by jokabofe »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 01:44 PM »
Cool, but could use some additional "stuff" for a VOTC.  It's the more disappointing figure of the bunch I've felt Dave.  At least comparable to 3PO.

I'm less than pleased with the droids from the wave...  :(  At least everyone else is looking great.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2004, 02:13 AM »
This review made me want a Bar2, but Vator told me that the VOTC would be the "Ultimate" one. But after seeing pics of the VOTC one, I decided to order Bar2 online (Because Jack **** is hitting stores).  :)

Thanks for the awesome review JJ.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2004, 02:44 AM »
Thanks for the addition Diddly.

I'd have agreed with Vator a month or so ago, haha...  I'd have thought VOTC would at least be super poseable (as much as an astro can be) but from what I hear there's a fixed 3rd leg?  Whatever...  :(

Bar2's holding the title with Holo Leia R2 close behind.

Also, if you're really anal, both are great because holo Leia has the restraining bolt on.  Technically it's "different" right? :)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2004, 02:57 AM »
Also, the Commtech one has the painted sand on it too. But I prefer Ber2 because it's clean, and thus could be used in any situation. :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 6, 2004, 08:17 PM »
Yeah, HOlo Leia's solid for a "I haven't been cleaned since back on Alderaan" figure prior to having his bolt removed.  Bar2 fills any void in the films beyond that point that an R2 would be needed that isn't filthy or have his "tools" out.

If one were ambitious, and didn't mind little holes in his sides, you could make him adaptable to the removable tools from the R2 w/Sensor scope too.  I've thought about this just so I have a nice R2 w/tools myself.