Author Topic: Wow - Vintage eBay Auctions  (Read 241679 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Wow
« Reply #270 on: June 3, 2005, 07:30 AM »
Holy Schnikey's on that AT-AT's final price...  $670-ish U.S. I think it was?

I came in just to see how things in vinty land were going, and I see that I may as well turn and walk right back out for a few years...  Amazing.

I'm sorta glad I went AWOL for a while.  I've been only picking up loose upgrades (at most) lately.  I'm just not in the mood to look back and think "ya know, I coulda gotten that for so much less if I waited".  9 years, give or take, and 3 movies later...  I see I've got some waiting left to do. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 6, 2005, 09:02 AM »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #272 on: June 6, 2005, 03:31 PM »
WOW indeed, thats a nice figure. I am with with my loose onme though.  ;D
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #273 on: June 8, 2005, 12:38 AM »
holy crap that sure went for a lot. I've never been clear on the thought process of getting such a high-valued item. does someone who buys a figure like this, only collect a small portion of the vintage, is this the person's only piece, and how does one finance such a big purchase. Obviously one is to have a lot of free to use money to make such a purchase, but damn think of what else you could by for 5 grand...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 8, 2005, 03:11 PM »
It’s definitely strange, even if you grew up salivating for these little figures and love them to death. It doesn’t make sense to me why someone would spend that kind of coin on mass produced items, when you can buy stuff like original art for considerably less. Sometime back a few Chaykin pages from issue five (if memory serves) were auctioned for about $600 each, and I’ve seen very nice Infantino pages go for 2-3 bills… Chirst, you can buy a nice Kirby for the price of that insane Imp. Commander. Even within toy collecting it’s obscenely disproportional- a nice 50’s Nomura Robby will set you back maybe half of what that Luke sold for.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 10, 2005, 08:02 PM »
Yeah the money people are willing to throw out for some items is obscene, but in the end if they're enjoying the item I guess it's all good.

Here's an auction I just came across...

vintage LUKE SKYWALKER BESPIN complete BROWN HAIR -MINT FACTORY SEALED IN BAGGIE !!!! NEVER OPENED !!!! RARE !

Now I don't keep up with the values of baggie figures, but it was my understanding that baggie figs usually cost about the same price as a C9 loose figure. So what is the story with this Luke? I can't imagine that anyone would value this at such a high price. I remember picking up this baggie Luke for less than $10 a few years ago with the intention of opening it, I just never did. Is this a case of the value skyrocketing or just the usual "it's Star Wars so it's expensive" BS?
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 10, 2005, 09:51 PM »
I'd suggest it's a bit of that mentality and a bit of a price increase.  I know when I was hunting my brown hair Bespin Luke I had to let a considerable number of them go, simply because I wasn't willing to pay the price people were bumping them up to.  I think I paid around $20-30 for mine, though I don't entirely recall now. 

I think it's just an overanxious buyer grabbing a BIN.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2005, 08:17 AM »
Bespin Luke

Well the item was relisted. The seller has a bunch of stuff. I still need a hollow cheeks tusken raider but i dont want to pay that much.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2005, 08:22 AM »
Me thinks his price is a bit off.  ::)

Star Wars Episode IV 1977 Vintage Film Reel, Super 8
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 08:22 AM by DSJ™ »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Droids and Ewoks

I'd suggest that for all of them, this is a pretty good price.  Naturally I've made a significant dent in the collection, so no point bidding.

ON the other hand... :o
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 09:15 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 14, 2005, 03:09 AM »

Whoa, that is one of the nicest card walking R2's I have seen in awhile.  :o

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 14, 2005, 09:58 AM »
Dale,

I'll second that!  I have to add a Whoa Ha Ha for the price :o.  I'll sleep better that knowing I paid $60 for mine at a local collecting show last year.  My wife just came over to the computer looked at the price than walked out of the room.

DBK

Whoa, that is one of the nicest card walking R2's I have seen in awhile.  :o

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2005, 11:57 PM »
Here is a twist.

I do not know what's worse selling repro's or gouging collectors $13.49 for free information.

DBK 

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 18, 2005, 02:38 AM »
dbk, yeah ive seen that crap all over the vintage ebay section for about a week now. when will people stop being duped by this stuff, this knowledge is freely available if you take the time to look. personally, i question any ebayer who has their feedback listed as private. perhaps this guy has sold repros a time or two...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #284 on: June 19, 2005, 09:10 AM »
Well here are 2 WOWs i am watching which i may bid or submit a best offer.

Blue Star

63rd POTF coin

I will probably submit an offer as soon as i figure out how much i can spend right now.