Author Topic: College Football 2004-2005  (Read 21839 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
College Football 2004-2005
« on: July 19, 2004, 04:41 PM »
Alright, I'm almost thirty games into NCAA Football 2005, and we're just a little more than a month away from the kickoff of the new season, so it is with great pleasure that I bring you the official JD College Football 2004-2005 thread.

While we're all friends here at JD, I'd like to take this time to remind everyone that yes, just like last year (and the year before) (and the year before that) (and even the year before that, too), Texas still sucks.

Sorry, Slave_531.

Go Sooners.

And since I'm at it, I'll go ahead and post the schedules for my state teams, so I'll have them handy throughout this fall.

Oklahoma Sooners

September 4 / Bowling Green / 11 AM / ABC
September 11 / Houston / 6 PM / TBS
September 18 / Oregon / 2:30 PM / ABC

September 25 (OFF)
October 2 / Texas Tech
October 9 / at Texas / 11 AM / ABC
October 16 / at Kansas State
October 23 / Kansas
October 30 / at Oklahoma State
November 6 / at Texas A&M
November 13 / Nebraska
November 20 / at Baylor

Oklahoma State Cowboys

September 4 / at UCLA
September 11 / Tulsa
September 18 / SMU

September 25 (OFF)
October 2 / Iowa State
October 9 / at Colorado
October 16 / Texas A&M
October 23 / at Missouri
October 30 / Oklahoma
November 6 / at Texas
November 13 / Baylor
November 20 (OFF)
November 27 / at Texas Tech

(Go Pokes, too, 'cept when you're playing the Sooners. . .)   :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 06:23 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: College Football 2004-2005
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 05:00 PM »
For the first time ever I am really super excited for this year's season...

The Mighty Minnesota Golden Gophers have cracked the Top 10 in many PreSeason rankings.  Yeah that's right, you're reading that right...the Top 10.

If they had not blown the game against Michigan last year I really think they would have ended up 12-1 and played USC in the Rose Bowl.  Not sure if they would have won but they will be just as good this year, with a powerful rushing game

Might this be the return of a Major College Powerhouse to Minnesota...a tradition that has been dead for almost 45 years?  I sure hope so, the U during my days there were a joke beyond belief... 4-7, 3-8, 4-7, 4-7.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 05:09 PM »
Ah, it is nearly football season isn't it? I'd like to remind all of you that the best team in history of the game rests on the Central South Carolina plain... the Cocks, yes that's right the South Carolina Gamecocks.

The South Carolina Gamecocks really have but one mission in the entire season, and that is to crush the Orange Demons to the northwest...the Clemson Tigers. Maybe you've heard of this little rivalry, one that's been around for nearly a century. In South Carolina, you're either Garnet or Orange.

In short, go Carolina!

We've had our share of problems since 1999, but our trust in coach Lou Holts is still strong.

I beleive that our first game this year is against:  Vanderbilt in Nashville, Tenn. on 9/04/2004

I can't wait!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 05:17 PM »

Who cares if we can never beat the ghey team known as Oklahoma..... We can still whoop everyone else this season! And I have season tickets this year, so I can cheer them on. It will be great to finally see the Aggies lose in person.  :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 05:35 PM »
I've got two teams, one Division 1A and one Division 1AA  which represent my two schools:

I have a bad feeling about this year, especially if Jeremy Bloom isn't allowed to play.  I can't believe that someone's head didn't roll during all this crap of the last few months... I'm still debating about whether to get tickets this year or not. The only games I really want to watch are Texas, Kansas St. and Colorado St.,  even though those may all be fairly lopsided results.

Coming off a disappointing 9-2 year where we didn't win the Pioneer League for only the second time in the last 7 years. Hopefully, we can go 9-1 and win the league, but I don't think we stand much of a chance at Yale this year. (UD is a non-scholarship team; Yale is the only scholarship team we play this year). Yeah, I know that a thread about college football isn't complete until the Pioneer League is discussed.  ;)
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 06:18 PM »
One word (or maybe just 4 letters):

National Champs.  You heard it here first...

Looks like we get to kick one of Birchall's team's asses on opening night.  Excellent.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 06:18 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 06:19 PM »

It's make or break time for Zook.  He's done a great job recruiting and if he can't get the Gators back into the hunt this year - he's got no more excuses as to why.

It's also time to see what Chris Leak is made of.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 06:19 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 06:30 PM »
Looks like we get to kick one of Birchall's team's asses on opening night.  Excellent.

Oh yeah?  Here's what happened, the last time your boys took on my boys:

You like that?  You want some more?  Here you go:

"September 20, 2003

Oklahoma routs UCLA

On a record setting day, the University of Oklahoma Sooners rolled over the UCLA Bruins by a score of 59-24. The record in question was shattered by cornerback/punt returner Antonio Perkins as he ripped off not one, not two, but three touchdowns (74, 84, and 65 yards) off of seven punt returns for the Sooners (4-0).

As if that wasn't enough, Perkins also shattered the punt return yardage record with 277 return yards. The record was last set in 1971 by BYU's Golden Richards against North Texas with 219 punt return yards.

Coupled with Jason White's (17 of 25 for 243 yards) two touchdown passes and Renaldo Works two touchdown runs, it was a long day for the Bruins, who were last beaten by a number one ranked OU team in 1986 by a score of 38-3. Coincidentally, a 35 point margin in each game."

Expect more of the same this year, Sweater Boy.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 06:38 PM »
I liked you better when you were giving us the silent treatment last week!   :-X

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 06:40 PM »
I liked you better when you were giving us the silent treatment last week!   :-X

Dah!

I think your check just got lost in the mail. . .   :-\

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2004, 06:54 PM »
Hey Zod, I was at the Carolina-Florida game last year, pretty good game eh? Ya'll are going down this year!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2004, 07:06 PM »
You know...how lame of a mascot is the Golden Gopher, ya'll have Bears, Roosters, Alligators and Buffalos and Tom Joads and here I am stuck with a Rodent

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 07:13 PM »
Well, atleast your team aren't called the Cocks.

We do this thing at our games where once side of the stadium says 'Game' and the other side says: 'Cocks!' Suffice to say, it's more than enough to make someone who isn't familiar with USC to laugh.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 07:16 PM »
I think it's cool that "cocks" isn't on the banned list.

. . .

Cocks.

(True story:  In high school, I had a buddy who almost went to South Carolina on a swimming scholarship primarily because of their nickname.  I think he bought a Gamecocks hat, too.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 07:18 PM by Virex »

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 07:31 PM »
Ha!
We actually have a line of shirts here that say Cocks proudly in red across the chest area. Mainly on women's clothing.  :P Wonder what the marketing strategy there was....