Author Topic: Music Editing Software?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Music Editing Software?
« on: July 23, 2004, 04:41 PM »
Can anyone recommend some good music editing software?  I'm not looking for something that allows me to compose my own suites with my crappy Casio keyboard, I'm looking for something that will let me blend tunes together for compilation CDs, eliminate the vocal tracks from all of John Frusciante's solo albums (because while he's an awesome guitarist, his voice and lyrics bite gopher nads), eliminate hiss from older recordings, etc.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
Re: Music Editing Software?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 04:53 PM »
For just mixing tracks, I would recommend Acid Pro. It's very easy to use, and you can get pretty much all on top of your mix.

But, it sounds like you want something that edits wave files, too, and in that case, I would say Sony Sound Forge 7 is what you need. Mixing tracks isn't as automatic as in Acid but I use Sound Forge to mix tracks all the time. Acid can't edit the wave file (unless they changed that in the most recent version). It is strictly a loop sequencer, whereas Sound Forge is a fully decked out professional audio tool.

You can mix, record, manipulate, edit, effect, master, compress. Soundforge has filters for just about everything you would find in a hardware studio.

BUT, the plug-in to remove vocals and the noise reduction plug-in for hiss are purchased separately unless you can get them to bundle the plug-ins with your purchase. It couldn't hurt to ask.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2004, 04:54 PM by SPIDERLEGS »

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Cool Edit Pro and Sound Forge are both great programs that feature excellent hiss/noise reduction tools.  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 07:22 PM »
Thanks guys.  I checked out both Acid Pro and Sound Forge, and will just shop around.  Both seem to be going for around $400.00--is that about right?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 11:45 PM »
Yeah, for $400 you should be able to get those plug-ins. My version didn't come with the Noise reduction or or karaoke plug-ins. I had to get them separately. So, go to like a pro music shop and tell them Musician's Friend (online music store) will bundle it for the same price. Usually, like at Guitar Center (which owns Musician's Friend but the saleskids seem clueless about what they charge) or some major chain, they'll do it if the difference isn't that much. You should be able to save another $100. If they already come bundled, then forget everything I just said.