Author Topic: Interesting notes about the VOTC cards  (Read 2947 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Interesting notes about the VOTC cards
« on: July 25, 2004, 01:51 AM »
So I got my first 2 VOTC figs today Han and Leia, WOO HOO, and noticed a couple of interesting points that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere.

1.) The pics on the back showing the vintage versions are the same as those used in Sansweet's Action Figure Archive. When comparing the figures inside the bubbles they are positioned and lit the same way as in the book. Nothing overly important, I just find it interesting.

2.) On the Han cardback, there is a line under the pics of the vintage versions indicating these are not available for purchase. These lines don't appear on the Leia cardback. Could that indicate a running change on the VOTC cards?

3.) On the Leia card they kept the info about the product meeting product standard requirements under the Kenner logo, but its not on the Han card.

4.) Opening the clamshell and getting at the cards, I felt as if the smell was the same as when I would get vintage as a kid. It's probably just my mind playing tricks, but the sense of smell is a powerful one that can bring back old memories to the forefront and today that occurred.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting notes about the VOTC cards
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 02:10 AM »
interesting. i hadn't noticed those changes... the back of the obi-wan doesn't have that disclaimer either. but isn't kinda dumb? i mean, to actually tell people that they can't go out to tru and find these 25 year old figures anymore? did they have to??

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 02:45 AM »
interesting. i hadn't noticed those changes... the back of the obi-wan doesn't have that disclaimer either. but isn't kinda dumb? i mean, to actually tell people that they can't go out to tru and find these 25 year old figures anymore? did they have to??

well quite honestly there are people dumb enough to think they'd be made available. that or they wanted to make sure the kiddies (yeah as if any parent is going to buy a $10 4" fig for their kids) dont ask their parents to look for toys that dont exist on the primary market
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 12:35 AM »
Found another interesting thing this afternoon while looking over the front of the VOTC cardbacks. The images depicting the scenes from the original cards have been zoomed in a bit. There are distinct differences where you can tell they used a zoom on the VOTC card as opposed to the vintage, most notably Han's left arm, you can't see his wrist on the VOTC card, but on the vintage you can. So these cards aren't even original cards scanned and manipulated, the entire card has most likely been scratch built using pieces from the vintage cards. Most interesting....
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 09:37 AM »
So these cards aren't even original cards scanned and manipulated, the entire card has most likely been scratch built using pieces from the vintage cards. Most interesting....

Yep.  Hasbro admitted this during the preview of vOTC Ben:

"Without access to the original package artwork, Hasbro’s package designers had to recreate it from scratch. To help Hasbro achieve a near-exact replica, Lucasfilm dug deep into their archives to find the original, Kenner-exclusive character photographs as well as the original Luke & Leia logo.

Using these images and an actual original package, Hasbro’s designers went to work to match the package details stroke-for-stroke:"

This is why we are seeing minor variations in the pictures and the type-set used in the RotJ logo.  These are NOT exactly the same, just really, really good dupes :)

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 10:24 AM »
so i guess that makes hasbro the best custom card makers out there. well, maybe not the best....

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 03:48 PM »
so i guess that makes hasbro the best custom card makers out there. well, maybe not the best....

Dave: considering they couldn't get the ROTJ logo correct, we know that' they are just amateurs :)

Nakatu: thanks for the 411 on what Hasbro had to say. What I find funny though is they say that they didn't have access to original package artwork, yet  it doesn't seem so overly difficult for vintage collectors to get their hands on them. Not that it truly matters, but Hasbro should go all out on such things.

cheers!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin