Author Topic: The Borat Thread  (Read 15851 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
The Borat Thread
« on: July 25, 2004, 11:56 AM »

`Ali G Show' speaks with many voices

Perhaps even funnier are Cohen's two other alter egos, Borat, "Kazakhstan's premier journalist," and Bruno, a gay Austrian fashion victim. In the first two episodes of the second season of this imported character study, Borat wrangles his way into an Oklahoma city council meeting and forces the members into a 10-minute moment of silence for what he claims is the anniversary of a massacre back home.

And from an article in yesterday's "Oklahoman":

Journalist Borat Sagdiyev's prank hasn't been forgotten at City Hall.  His 17-minute appearance at the traffic commission included comments on "US'n'A" democracy, the role of women in government, digestive troubles and his romantic intentions toward a female commissioner.

This "incident" was even featured as a story on at least one of our local news channels.

I was totally unfamiliar with Borat and the rest of "Da Ali G" crew until I saw the first episode of the new season last week, and man, it was good stuff.

The second episode, with the OKC prank, airs tonight at 9:30 Central on HBO.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2006, 06:31 PM by Matthew »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: "Borat" punks Oklahoma City politicians
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 04:15 PM »
This is one of the funniest shows on tv.  If you saw what Borat was up to last week, you would die laughing!  He went to a wine tasting in North Carolina, and he was just chugging down a lot of wine.  Then he whipped out some photos of his  "sister" to show to the other guys at the wine tasting.  I can't believe they might have even shown that part.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 08:29 PM »
I was actually wondering who this dudes name was yesterday. I remember seeing him on Conan about 3 weeks ago, and man was that hilarious!

So, is Borat for real? Or is it just a shitck?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 08:37 PM »
Borat is just one of Ali G's characters.  I think the Borat segments are usually the best part of every Alig Show episode.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 09:00 PM »
Tonight's synopsis from HBO:

Ali G has a serious sit-down with conservative icon Patrick Buchanan, pondering the prospect of presidential partnerships, "him"-igration pros and cons, and Iraq's possession of "BLTs." Borat hits the campaign trail in Oklahoma with a congressional candidate, then delivers a speech to the City Council after getting tips from the state's Republican Party chairman. Ali G presides over an animal-rights roundtable with Robert Byrne (Wildlife Management Institute), Lt. Colonel Dennis Foster (Master of the Foxhounds Association of America), Holly Hazard (Doris Day Animal League) and Rodger Curren (Institution for Invitro Sciences), then visits a farm in search of the answer to a question on everybody's mind: why are there are so many Vietnam veterinarians?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 09:05 PM »
I was actually wondering who this dudes name was yesterday. I remember seeing him on Conan about 3 weeks ago, and man was that hilarious!

"You like the sex crime?!?!"

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 09:53 PM »
Hilarious show, when I had HBO I loved to watch it.

One of my favorite moments was when Ali G was talking to a scientist about different states of matter. Ali G says "So, what you're telling me is, it's impossible for a gas to change into a solid? ... I dont think that's right. The other night I was at the theater with my girl, and I felt some gas getting ready to come out, but it came out a solid instead"

Or, something along that line... Fantastic show. Borat rocks.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 11:04 PM »
Man, you guys don't know how relieved I was when the politician who said that Jewish people were going to hell was revealed to be from Mississippi, and not the Sooner State. . .

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 10:59 AM »
That was so freakin funny last night. I love when he was on the campaign trail with that hardcore right wing guy, and he told the woman that the guy would be a strong leader, like Stalin.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: August 1, 2004, 11:08 PM »
New episode tonight!

Sing along with Borat as he entertains an Arizona country-and-western bar with his Kazakhstan hit, "Throw the Jew Down the Well".

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 09:21 PM »
Man, you guys don't know how relieved I was when the politician who said that Jewish people were going to hell was revealed to be from Mississippi, and not the Sooner State. . .

http://www.jamesbroadwater.com/HBO.html

. . .this stunt pulled by HBO is just one more reason why I believe that the liberal, anti-God media needs to be brought under the strict control of the FCC, and that as soon as possible.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2004, 02:41 AM »
I'm gonna miss it tomorrow night.  I'm running to a wrestling PPV, but plan to On-Demand it if that's available on that service.  It should be.

My buddy Dan just got into Da Ali G show as well...  Tremendous.  I'm finding a lot dislike the show overall though.  I don't get that.  Some who love the Daily Show's bits are critical of Da Ali G show.  Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2004, 05:15 PM »
http://www.jamesbroadwater.com/HBO.html

. . .this stunt pulled by HBO is just one more reason why I believe that the liberal, anti-God media needs to be brought under the strict control of the FCC, and that as soon as possible.

Oh man, what a douche! Since when is the FCC supposed to uphold a positive view of religion? I think the FCC butts its head in too much as it is...
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 08:23 PM »
So the consenus here is that if one doesn't have HBO and hasn't really seen the Ali G show and only has one hysterical appearance on Conan to go by, it's worth the 23$ to just pick up the DVD tomorrow?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 09:29 PM »
Always rent it of course...  Make sure.

Myself, I think he's funny, but I think he's funny the same reason I think the interviews are funny on the Daily Show.  People look dumb.

The difference here is that oon the Daily Show they're often morons anyway, or most would consider them such.  On Da Ali G show, a lot of these people are protecting us, and making the decisions that will affect our lives, and even the world as a whole, for many years.

They're still dumb.

I personally think the $23 would be worth it just to see his character from Kazakhstan...  Borat. 

"I want to make romance to you...  Only if you allow".

Drunk or sober, that is a funny character every week.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77