Author Topic: I've passed on the OTC Vader's Tie because I've got two...  (Read 4452 times)

Offline austinPOTF

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Drive Fast, Walk Slow
already of the POTF2 version, but DAMN Hasbro if they didn't go and make a pretty cool Y-Wing with a significant enough re-paint to make me want it.

RS has the pics up here. Hit the "next" button once you're there to see three more.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: I've passed on the OTC Vader's Tie because I've got two...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 02:59 AM »
I'm Hasbro's bitch whenever they put something in a window box (plus the OTC packaging), so I unfortunately caved and bought it.  I do like the grey "lasers" better though, at least when they're not shooting.  Any other differences to it that I haven't noticed yet?

As for the Y-Wing, same deal as the green Target A-wing - a fun color variation (ala Action Fleet) for the mainstream vehicles.  Might not be "canon", but what the hell, I'll take a few, thanks!   :-*

Would've been nice for Hasbro to re-release the original one again too, since a lot of folks missed out on it at Target the first time...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 09:47 AM »
What the?!?   >:(

You have got to be kidding me on that Y-Wing figure pack-in!

That's the same stupid pilot that came with the TRU X-Wing, with a different helmet color!  

::)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 09:55 AM »
I have 2 Y-Wings, vintage & the POTF Y-Wing & that all I need. The color on this one is way to funky for me!

Online Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 03:19 PM »
I'm Hasbro's bitch whenever they put something in a window box (plus the OTC packaging), so I unfortunately caved and bought it.

Here's where I get stuck.  As a former carded/boxed collector (reformed?), when they put out something that looks really, really nice like the OTC vehicles, I am completely torn about them.  Should I buy something I already have?  (yes)  Should I buy something I really don't need?  (no)  What to do, what to do?  Knowing me, I'll delay long enough to miss Vader's Tie locally then have to pay shipping additionally ::), like I always seem too.  

As far as the Y-wing goes, I did manage to get a loose POTF2 version, but wouldn't mind a boxed version.  I'm not so keen on the colors, but could live with it.  Of course, if I do that, then I have to get the rest of the OTC ships. :-[  See my dilemma?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 03:21 PM »
I think GH said that the Pack in will be Saga Gold Leader
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 03:21 PM by OCB »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 03:23 PM »
I bought it.  I'm probably never going to open it, but I really liked the packaging and the paintjob is a little bit different.  I think they should have put the CommTech Vader in if they were going to use an old figure, but not everything is going to be perfect.

As for the Y-Wing, I'll definitely be buying 2 - 3 of those.  It's always been one of my favorite ships.  I think I have 3 POTF2 Y-Wings plus one vintage one.  Gotta fill out Gold Squadron with at least 2 more.  But the pilot definitely looks lame.  At least we got a real Gold Leader figure in the SAGA line.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 03:24 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 06:44 PM »
meh... i saw this last week, and aside from the box, it didn't impress me.... i'm just tired of these things being repacked in new boxes. i guess it doesn't make any sense to resculpt another vader tie fighter,so i guess i don't really blame them for re-issueing this one, although it looks like it sports a semi-different paint job. since i went to an all open collection outside of 3 3/4" figures, i can pass on this and still be okay with myself  :D

As for the Y-Wing, I'll definitely be buying 2 - 3 of those.  It's always been one of my favorite ships.  I think I have 3 POTF2 Y-Wings plus one vintage one.  Gotta fill out Gold Squadron with at least 2 more.  But the pilot definitely looks lame.  At least we got a real Gold Leader figure in the SAGA line.

yeah, well the way that the toys r us exclusives run around here, i'll be lucky to find any of these at all. i didn't see a single potf2 version at retail, and i don't expect to find any of these at retail. but if i do, i'll be picking up a few. the y-wing has always been my favorite ship.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 06:53 PM »
I'm VERY tempted to start buying vehicles again. I stopped mostly because of space purposes. However, the TRU X-Wing is only $20 online, so I may buy one along with a Y-Wing. ;)

Vader's TIE...... nah, already have it.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 07:00 PM »
I'm VERY tempted to start buying vehicles again. I stopped mostly because of space purposes.

but wouldn't you need vehicles to travel thru space?

man, that was lame.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 07:40 PM »
yeah, well the way that the toys r us exclusives run around here, i'll be lucky to find any of these at all. i didn't see a single potf2 version at retail, and i don't expect to find any of these at retail. but if i do, i'll be picking up a few. the y-wing has always been my favorite ship.

Say what?!  Those are the easiest exclusives for me to find.  PM me.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

SilverZ

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 11:39 PM »
Even though I'm a completist tool I have varying levels of tolerance for repacks, and thus I always thought the Saga X-Wing was pushing it. But man, that packaging on the OTC Vader's TIE makes me forgive a lot and I was much happier buying it than some of the other rehashes, like the green A-wing last year.

So I guess my barometer doesn't consist of a buy/don't buy scale, but a pleased/pissed scale for more inevitable, sheep-like buying of any SW item, rehashed or new.

So if I bought Vader's TIE on the pleased side of that scale, those pics of the Y-Wing fall even further into pleased territory. Pretty dang cool to get cool packaging, a window box, and an interesting repaint.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 11:45 PM »
really? i would have loved to get my hands on the green a-wing, but - surprise!! - none to be found. to me, that was like getting a whole new ship. this vader's tie fighter is just... vader's tie fighter. and i already own one.

SilverZ

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 12:33 AM »
Well I might be underplaying the A-Wing, which was pretty dang cool, but I'm thinking about that Vader's TIE as a keep-in-the-package type thing. The OTC packaging plus window-boxed scene is what I love. I'm certainly not opening the TIE, which would be pointless to me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 02:07 AM »
I'm likely skipping the Y-Wing...  Unless there's some unforeseen circumstances.

The vehicle's never impressed me...  I was just happy that, as of now, the pack-in sucks so I'm not tempted to buy it.  My completist ways are officially breaking down.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77