Author Topic: Time for some new flip-flops.  (Read 19209 times)

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Time for some new flip-flops.
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2004, 01:52 AM »
About 10 years ago I picked up a pair of $9 rubber sandals from Target. I was going camping and wanted open footwear that was durable enough for the trip and inexpensive enough that I wouldn't feel like an idiot for having to throw it away after a 3-day trashing. Lo and behold, the sandals survived not only the weekend, but  another surprising 8 years. (The last trip I used them in was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back).

I finally got around to getting another pair this summer; figured I'd dip into the well again and go to Target. Can't lose with $10.

The new ones have a soft rubber liner glued onto the sandals, I suppose, for added comfort. The problem is, it's more porous than the rubber used for the main part of the sandal and lets in stinky-feet germs more readily. After a few days of sweaty use, I'm stepping around in toxic material. And because the liner is softer, it won't  last as long. And the more frequent washings will only shorten the sandals' lifespan.

D*** them for their innovation and styling.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2004, 04:59 PM »
Well, last night I went shopping with the Mrs. and we hit Kohl's to look for shoes (great BOGO Free offer going on for lady-shoes).

Well, as I was perusing the clearance aisle (I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to buying shoes  :-[), I came across these beauties: Gotcha "Cuda" Surf Gear Sandals. 

They look similar to this (the VooDoo version), but the detailing on the top is different.

Really comfortable for a thong-style Flip-Flop, and a great price to boot!  They normally retail for $49.99, but they were on clearance for only $10!   :o

I scooped them up and they will be the perfect "lounging on the deck shoes", as well as getting in some duty as "taking out the trash shoes".

:)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #77 on: April 4, 2007, 11:29 PM »
This is probably the greatest invention in the history of mankind:

The Reef Dram Sandal

INFO:

* COMFORTABLE, WATER FRIENDLY SYNTHETIC NUBUCK UPPER
    * CONTOURED COMPRESSION MOLDED EVA FOOTBED WITH ANATOMICAL ARCH SUPPORT
    * POLYURETHANE ENCAPSULATED CANTEEN IN HEEL WITH SCREW CAP
    * CAP OPENS WITH INCLUDED EXCLUSIVE REEF CHURCH KEY/ FIN KEY
    * UNIQUE SHAKER ICON MOLDED REEF RUBBER OUTSOLE

Let me post that again:

* POLYURETHANE ENCAPSULATED CANTEEN IN HEEL WITH SCREW CAP

In other words, a flip-flop flask.

Posted 08.28.2006
In a move sure to make the Department Of Homeland Security cringe and groms everywhere puke, Reef has introduced the Dram—a sandal with a flask capable of holding up to three ounces of liquor, err, liquid encapsulated in the heel.

The Dram—a common term for measuring one ounce of liquid—is the latest addition to Reef’s “thirst-quenching technology” line. Following the success of the Fanning sandal, which conceals a bottle opener in the heel, the Dram ups the ante on drunken-delinquent footwear. Features include a hidden plastic canteen in the heel with a screw cap that can be opened by using a key that is included, a miniature funnel to insure a clean pour, and a measuring bar on the footbed that shows how much booze is left in your shoe. The sandal also features a martini-shaker tread pattern.

“We really like to have fun with our leading face products,” says VP Of Product Creation Brett Ritter. “It keeps us from getting too serious with the fact that we are designing footwear. That light-hearted approach has lead us to some heavy hitters on the sales side of things.”

Ritter says that the Dram functions as well as any other sandal, and that its synthetic-nubuck upper and compression-molded EVA footbed with anatomical arch support offer a great fit. “The first point to design is in the look,” says Ritter. “Then it has to fit and be super comfortable, as well as deliver the creative, novelty aspect for our customers.”

The Dram will be spiking drinks at ASR in September and will hit retail on March 1, 2007 with an MSRP of 45 dollars.

That is sheer, pure ******' genius, my friends.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: April 5, 2007, 12:05 AM »
Since the insanity of this thread has been resurrected by Reid Jr.  (that's twice tonight, Junior) I thought I'd share the following confession.  I bought a pair of open toed footwear last summer.  First pair I ever owned...still got a **** load of blisters on my feet but after a few weeks of a flippin and a floppin...they are some of my favorite 3 weeks out of the year footwear I own.

The great thing...they support my third favorite sports hero of all time

The KG Slide...as soft as a 9 time playoff loser
« Last Edit: April 5, 2007, 12:06 AM by OCB »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 5, 2007, 02:54 AM »

The Dram will be spiking drinks at ASR in September and will hit retail on March 1, 2007 with an MSRP of 45 dollars.

That is sheer, pure ******' genius, my friends.

Affordable ******' genius at that.  8)

The only problem, for me, is that I've never found flip flops to be comfortable.  I need an ankle strap to keep my feet happy.  :(

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #80 on: April 5, 2007, 04:01 AM »
Well what do you know... I was in the market for a new pair of sandals anyways. They even have them in my size too.

I will be drinking from my new sandals in no time. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #81 on: April 5, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Hmmmm...whiskey that tastes like feet.   :-\
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 5, 2007, 01:43 PM »
First of all, I'd just like to take a moment to apologize to each and every one of you for not being quicker with my initial review/impressions of my new Sanuks.  I received a lot of private messages and e-mails about it (so much so that I haven't even been able to get through them all yet), and I know that many of you have been waiting with bated breath for this moment.

That said, however, I do want to delay my official review for a while.  For as long as it takes.  You see, these things need to be broken in, and seeing as though I've only had them for a couple of days, they're just not at that point yet.  I don't know how long it's going to take.  A day?  A week?  A month?  A year?  It doesn't matter.  All that matters is being fair.  Being fair to me, being fair to you, kind reader, and most importantly, being fair to the thongs.  I just don't feel like putting up my official review of these things before they're properly broken in would be the rational thing to do.  After all, would you put up a review of a new album after only hearing, say, two songs, for example?  Or a movie, based on the first fifteen minutes?  I didn't think so.  So, in the best interests of the Sanuks, the official review is delayed.

I will say, though, this quick first impression:

I'd like to see a little more flip, and a little less flop.

Stay tuned!

Almost three years and no ****** review.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #83 on: April 5, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Almost three years and no ****** review.

I did say that I was going to wait until they were properly-broken-in, didn't I?  And now, three years later, they're broken-in, alright.  And I mean that literally!

You see, sometime last summer, after two years of intense use, my trusty Green Sanuk Fur-Real Classics finally gave out on me, when the strap of material that divided the market- and home-bound piggies on my right foot separated from the footbed, rendering them (or at least Righty) unwearable.

So no more Green Sanuk Fur-Real Classics for me.  I will say, that in our two years together, they were a fine, fine, shoe, and served me well, even though I put them through hell, by doing such laborious things as. . .  walking around in them.  They were great flip-flops and received many compliments.  And even with the strap giving out in the end, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair--if only I didn't have a problem with buying the same thing twice.

But I've since moved on.

The Sanuk Tarzan. 

While they lack the functionality of, say, the Reef Drams, they make up for it with sheer sex-appeal.  And they go great with my loincloth.

But don't bother looking for a pair of your own, no sir!  These babies are long OOP (that's "out-of-production," to you and me).

Anyway, that's just a mini-review.  Look for the full review sometime in 2009.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #84 on: April 5, 2007, 04:22 PM »

While they lack the functionality of, say, the Reef Drams, they make up for it with sheer sex-appeal.  And they go great with my loincloth.

I just stuck a fork in my eye to get rid of that mental image.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2007, 10:00 PM »
I just stuck a fork in my eye to get rid of that mental image.

Well, they don't match my thong, so what other choice do I have?

???

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2008, 03:42 PM »
(Not at all surprised that my last comment killed the thread.)

Might these be my flip-flop of choice for 2008?

The Sanuk Poncho

Stay tuned!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I've got a pair of Doc Martin sandals that I've worn every summer since 1995 (do they still make those?).  And what's funny, is I bought them at a shoe resale shop when I was a freshman in college... sounds disgusting that I bought "used shoes" but at the time, everyone was wearing them and people at my college were buying theirs at a resale shop... called Foot Prince... it's ridiculous that I even remember the name of the store... but since they were at a resale shop, I wonder how old they really are, and how many other feet have been in them.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2008, 02:15 PM »
might i suggest...

the flip flop mop? it's flip flops... and a mop. together at last. nice for those accidents when you spill your flip flop flask.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2008, 10:57 PM »
Might these be my flip-flop of choice for 2008?

The Sanuk Poncho

Stay tuned!

Finally got around to ordering a pair of these bad-boys earlier today, and I couldn't be more excited! 

Is it silly of me to have ordered a third pair of flip-flops from the same manufacturer of my last two pair, when they both suffered the same dysfunction (that being flimsy, if not outright faulty thong straps)?  Maybe so, but I don't care!