Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxies - Not Star Warsy enough  (Read 3915 times)

Offline RogueJedi

• Youngling
  • Gabba Gabba Hey
    • View Profile
Star Wars Galaxies - Not Star Warsy enough
« on: July 28, 2004, 08:03 PM »
Recently quit my accout on SWG. Im a huge SW fan and it seemed to me that playing SWG was just Galactica with a SW name. The first few months I played I had the Star-Warsy feel to it, but as the XP and grinding took precidence over SW npc's and fun quests, I quit.

All in all, a amazing RPG.

But a horrible SW RPG  

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Galaxies - Not Star Warsy enough
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 10:13 PM »
I'd agree with your statement, but I'm hoping that the Space Expansion will change that...

I'm still playing, but if this Jedi and Space stuff sucks, I'll probably quit too...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 02:16 AM »
I recently did a 14 day trial (before it ends) and I can say that it's a nice game, kinda funny, but not "Star Warsy" enough to me.

There's no cohesiveness.  I couldn't figure out if huge battles erupted (I mean, the galaxies amidst a civil war.  Battles and the "front" should be available to at least go to). 

I fund that finding buildings and stuff was a pain.  I ran around Mos Eisly and not once did I see the Cantina. :(

Getting near "known" characters was a pain, like Jabba...  Traveling between towns was a pain.

I just wasn't "wow'd" by it.  It seems like an immersive thing, but I guess I just need a story.  A point and plot.  If battles would've been viewable...  Like say the Empire's seiging a planet, and there's just war taking place there.  That I'd have liked going to see (at your own risk, like).  Oh well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 09:47 PM »
The biggest problem with Galaxies is that it takes a long time to build a character before you really click and get the "Star Wars" experience. At least that was my take at the time.

I played the damn game for months on end from launch and built a couple bitchin' characters, only to reach a point where I really craved some good PvP and story quests, and neither really existed at the time (quit about 6 months ago). I just gave up, and now I think I'd be bored to tears creating a new character and grinding my way to something usefull again.

6 months ago, I got the impression that the developers were absolutley lost and behind schedule, focusing on add-ons like creature mounts and swoops, things that were supposed to be at launch, and would continue to fall behind as they tried to get expansions like the upcoming (still  ::) ) space one released, to ever go back and build up the quests and items to make it even worth playing. There's just a complete lack of compelling CONTENT in the game. It's filled with errand quests that you recieve nothing for, like Jabba's palace.  I mean, even if you have a dewback, swoop, or ship to race across all the barren terrain, what is the point if there's not something fun to do at the other end?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 11:13 PM »
I agree with that thought Tydirium...

I found Tatooine to flat out suck.  Very bland looking, tons of wild animals biting you at every turn.  No story...

Probably the lack of a story is what disappointed me.  I NEED story.  Story is what a game's based on.  I need the galaxy to be more interesting than me just wandering around doing basically nothing.

I cannot justify paying for that.  I do that in my real life for free.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 10:33 AM »
I played Asheron's Call back when and I too got tired of walking around forever trying to find stuff and it's the reason I didn't get into Galaxies(or any other online game) in the first place.
If you were to break down all the time spent on online games you'll probably find:

80% of the time your just wandering around trying to find stuff.
10% of the time your chatting with other palyers etc.
5% of the time your playing around w/inventory, buying stuff, "upping" ypur supplies, etc.
5% of the time your actually battling, conquering, actually "playing" the game

it's rediculous how much wasted time you spend on these games doing absolutely NOTHING at all.

That's why the online games I have for the PS2 are fun becasue you actually spend a good amount of time actually "playing" the game.  They are quicker, and take no time being able to jump into the middle of everything, instead of getting stuck int he trap of having to play forever before you can actually enjoy it.

The ONLY things I don't like about online games like SOCOM is that it's strictly a "reaction" based game.  You spend a min. finding the enemy then you both typically see ea. other at the same time, so it's simply a matter of who can hit the fire button first.   (yeah it's very realistic, but play value is diminished I think)

You should be able to absorb a few hits and at least be able to move a bit so you could spend a min. "battleing" ea. other, put a little strategy into a firefight instead of just BAM you're dead.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 11:55 PM »
That'd be about my assessment too Bob.

The thing is, Galaxies throws out some of the most explosively realistic Star Wars galaxy images of, basically, nothing from the Star Wars galaxy.  Just an average day on Kothloth St. in the Xorn province on Dalaxia IV.

In short, again, nothing.

Maybe Tom Grasswhacker's out washing his speeder, or some Rodian Kids are riding their hover-bikes down the street...  Just nothing.

It's weird.  I like looking at it though.  :)  The imagery is impressive, to say the least.  My desktop was an AT-AT roving Tatooine's Dune Sea for the longest time...  Now it's a Battlefront AT-ST armored column with Infantry Support.  Love that Officer that looks like he's taking the reigns at the front lines.  :)

SilverZ

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 04:15 AM »
I cannot justify paying for that.  I do that in my real life for free.  :)

;D Yeah that about sums it up.

Its just such a waste that an MMO is perfect for the SW universe, and it's been squandered and botched with bad design all the way through it.

Bob, totally agree on your preference in online games. After I drifted away from Galaxies (and fumbled around in EQ and DAOC) I went out and bought some Live enabled stuff, and found what I enjoyed most were shooters - things I could just dive into, kill some little punks in planes, tanks, or 1st person, and be done with it in 1/2 hour and feel satisfied.

Grinding my way through making stim packs to be a Rodian Combat Medic for weeks, just to hope for maybe one day PVPing sure didn't feel immersive.