Author Topic: What do YOU do with the Misfits  (Read 7057 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
What do YOU do with the Misfits
« on: July 29, 2004, 01:20 AM »

Send them off to an island?  Throw them to the back of the diorama?  Toss them to the customs box?  Let your kid have them?

These toys need homes...they once were sort of love (Bespin Luke and Lobot were at least)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: What do YOU do with the Misfits
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 02:19 AM »
They're all in a Rubbermaid box. :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 02:36 AM »
I've steadily taken them down, put them in baggies (sometimes multiple figures in larger baggies, like sandwich sized ones), and then just toss them in a bin.

I'm trying to keep it all together, but in the end these are just craptastic figures.

I do have my Jabba Glob out though, as well as Leia Col. Bespin Leia.  I moved her onto Bes.Cap Han's arm.

Bespin Luke's out there too...  I don't like the Saga version or OTC.  Too pre-posed in the legs for my taste, as well as the gaping mouth being a little bothersome, and the horrid action feature.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 09:14 AM »
Great topic.  This is something I'm curious about too.  I used to leave my POTF2 figures out for the most part, but in the past year or two, due to space issues, I've begun packing them away.  Pretty much, once I get a superior version opened up...the old one gets put in the rubbermaid.  There are a few exceptions here and there, but for the most part now, when I take the time to look at this year's Saga and OTC offerings...very, very few of those POTF2 figures hold up anymore.  Even some of the better sculpts don't seem to have as much paint detail, although there are exceptions.

For now they get packed away, and are the first to be brought out when our nephews visit and want to play with Star Wars guys.  I think I'll keep all of them for our child(ren) someday...although they are craptastic versions compared to current ones, the main characters are represented pretty well.  One thing I sometimes think about, is there any way we will look at the figures we are buying right now (down the road), and think the same of them as we think of the POTF2 figures now?  For some (like SA Clone, VOTC Han, etc.) I don't see how sculpting/paint on these figures could advance so much further...but maybe we thought that in the past too. ;)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 09:29 AM »
All in storage boxes. Heck, everything is in storage boxes!  :-\

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 10:13 AM »
I'm working on a shelf in the Star Wars Room that I call...

"Star Wars Wasteland"

I've got the little bar peices from the WM Cantina wave 1 there, along with all the figures that I have no use for anymore: Leia Collection figures, PotF2 Fett, PotF2 Lobot, CT Greedo, PotF2 Ponda, PotF2 Gen. Lando, Hoth Luke, etc.

Eventually, there will be 6 more bar peices there (from box 1 and 2), so there'll be plenty more drinkin space for the soon to be replaced CT Wuher, PotF2 Dr. Evazan, Cantina Ponda Baba, Cantina Obi-Wan, and more I'm sure.  

They all hang out in this little bar, drinking away the misery of having been replaced by a superior version, knowing that they are no longer loved.  Granted, they'll always have a place in my heart, but what's done is done and I've moved on.  At least they have each other for support...

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 12:19 PM »
Usually they end up as custom fodder.  

Do you not want that Falumpaset OCB?

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 12:32 PM »
Yes I do, its just stuck there for a while watching that these figures don't wind back up in the display :P

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 01:34 PM »
When I finally do get everything set up in the hobby room (it's all in boxes right now), I plan on displaying all of my misfits, just like everything else.  But that's because my display will be one of every figure released, in chronological order, so if I wound up leaving out all of the figures that've been updated at some point, I'd have a buttload of holes in the overall Hasbro collection.

Besides, I want to be able to look at them all collectively (and in order), so I can enjoy seeing how the line has progressed over the years.  You've gotta see the crap at the front end, to really appreciate the far better stuff later on, ya' know?

Now, as for all my extras of the superceded figures, that's an entirely different matter.  I plan on having only the best, most accurate looking figures at the front and center of my dioramas, so that pushes the crappy older versions to the far back, or out of the picture altogether.  I think the unnecessary extras will basically just sit in some Rubbermaid boxes for all of eternity, and maybe be occasionally hacked up for customs...

So kind of a mixed bag for me.  The loose and carded collections will still have their customary one of each, but the rest will get shoved to the back of the dioramas (the army building ones), chopped up as custom fodder, or just laid to rest in boxes (main characters)...

Unfortunately, I think this issue of superceded figures will only be growing larger and larger as the line continues on into 2006/2007 (and beyond?)...

P.S.  Don't recall ever seeing a newer version of the Eopie though.   :P
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 01:35 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 01:39 PM »
All in storage boxes. Heck, everything is in storage boxes!  :-\

Same here.  I figure by the time 2010 rolls around, my basement should be refinished and I'll get to unpack everything.

I'll deal with the Misfits when that time comes.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 02:07 PM »

I've decided I'm mailing them to the North Pole

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 02:42 PM »
I've decided I'm mailing them to the North Pole

You're giving them to Brent?

Why does he want them?

:P

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 02:55 PM »
When I finally do get everything set up in the hobby room (it's all in boxes right now), I plan on displaying all of my misfits, just like everything else.  But that's because my display will be one of every figure released, in chronological order, so if I wound up leaving out all of the figures that've been updated at some point, I'd have a buttload of holes in the overall Hasbro collection.

This is how I have mine set up.  Takes a crapload of space though ??? And I am almost officially out of space.  So i'm screwed no matter how I look at it.  Hopefully that addition to the home will coming up in the next few years.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 02:57 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 03:16 PM »
I put them in plastic baggies (acid free), and then I box those all up.  I don't have anywhere near the room to display what I'd like to, so a lot of stuff is boxed and in storage.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 05:12 PM »
Brrrrrrrr.  

Many of the early POTF2 stuff is not even opened yet.  Almost invariably the orange cards are intact, so not quite sure what to do.  The later, green carded POTF2 stuff is a mix.  Everything post POTF2 is opened and loose, predominantly on display.  Mostly only because I've run out of room on the shelves, so now the figures get opened up and put into ziplock bags and put into ye olde rubbermaid.  So very much crap :-\

I like Matt's chronological display idea, it gives purpose to many of the older figures of the He-man era.  Matt are you planning on grouping them at all or simply each figure as it came out, wave by wave?  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.