Author Topic: Vintage OTC case Breakdowns and You..  (Read 10325 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Vintage OTC case Breakdowns and You..
« on: July 29, 2004, 10:19 AM »
Originally I had planned to just buy one or two of each case (this was back when only Wave 1 was being advertised at Ent Earth so it seemed that each case would be 2 of each new figure per wave...) With Wave 3 now being offered (though I think I ordered it on July 7th from them)

Here are the breakdowns and totals:
Wave 1

2x Han Solo,
3x Luke Skywalker,
2x Obi-Wan Kenobi
1x Princess Leia

Wave 1.5

3x Han Solo,
3x Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi
2x Princess Leia

Wave 2

2x Darth Vader - Empire Strikes Back (NEW),
2x Yoda - Empire Strikes Back (NEW),
2x Han Solo - A New Hope,
2x Luke Skywalker - A New Hope

Wave 2.5

1x Lando Calrissian - Empire Strikes Back (NEW)
1x C-3P0 - Empire Strikes Back (NEW),
1x Darth Vader - Empire Strikes Back,
1x Yoda - Empire Strikes Back,
1x Han Solo - A New Hope,
1x Luke Skywalker - A New Hope,
1x Obi-Wan Kenobi - A New Hope,
1x Princess Leia - A New Hope

Wave 3

2x Boba Fett - Return of the Jedi (NEW),
1x R2-D2 (NEW),
1x Chewbacca (NEW),
2x Stormtrooper (NEW),
1x Lando Calrissian - Empire Strikes Back,
1x Darth Vader - Empire Strikes Back

If you bought one of each case

8x Han Solo
6x Luke Skywalker
6x Obi Wan Kenobi
4x Pricness Leia
4x Darth Vader
3x Yoda
2x Lando
2x Boba Fett
2x Stormtrooper
1x Chewbacca
1x C-3P0
1x R2-D2

So I am going to be calling EE today and dropping more than half my orders. (sadly I've already paid shipping on a couple of them)

Looking at the patterns, I would assume we'll see a Wave 3.5 but I doubt the Stormtrooper or Chewbacca will see more than 2 figures a piece in it.  

Army building that Stormtrooper is gonna be tuff.  It just doesn't seem like they are being produced in equal numbers like Hasbro mentioned at the beginning of this whole thing.

Any thoughts or insights?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC case Breakdowns and You..
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 10:35 AM »
Wave 1

2x Han Solo,
3x Luke Skywalker,
2x Obi-Wan Kenobi
1x Princess Leia

i thought luke didn't ship with the first wave. just the other 3.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 10:42 AM »
That is part of the whole puzzle with this thing.  He is listed as part of Wave 1....but Wave 1.5 is the one that is shipping out to retailers and e-tailers.  I have a feeling the original Wave 1 may be a casualty and just get written off.

And the case breakdowns I am using are from Ent Earth, I don't know if they are more or less accurate than any others.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 10:49 AM »
Those EE case assortments are pretty accurate.

Wave 1.5 shipped first from E-tailers, but now some e-tailers like NewForce and EE are shipping wave 1.  Also, wave 1 cases have turned up at KB and a few other retailers so Luke is trickling out.

I still think they should have done FOUR cases as follows:

Wave 1
2x Han, Ben, Luke, Leia

Wave 2
2x Vader, Yoda, 3PO, Lando

Wave 3
2x Fett, Stormie, R2, Chewie

Wave 4
1x Han, Chewie, Luke, Ben, Yoda, Vader, Stormie, Fett

I think that would have been just fine... get out equal amounts of the figures, then one last push of the main characters to capture any DVD rush that happens to pop up.

Dang, why aren't I in charge of Hasbro's case packs? :(

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 01:24 PM »
If you bought one of each case

8x Han Solo
6x Luke Skywalker
6x Obi Wan Kenobi
4x Pricness Leia
4x Darth Vader
3x Yoda
2x Lando
2x Boba Fett
2x Stormtrooper
1x Chewbacca
1x C-3P0
1x R2-D2

That's pretty damned funny (and rather telling).   ::)

Army building that Stormtrooper is gonna be tuff.

I made strong mention of that exact point to one of the top Hasbro reps down at Comic Con last week Paul, and his answer was basically "tough $h!t."  He didn't care in the slightest, and when I asked if the Stormtrooper might ever be available at a cheaper price point and/or in greater quantities or in army building sets, he said "NO WAY," and reiterated the "tough $h!t" part.  This guy could've seriously used a refresher course in dealing with their fans and customers.  Very poor customer relations.  Very poor.  The other Hasbro fellas were at least respectful, and acknowledged some of my (the collector's) concerns.  They should've just left this other guy back at the Hasbro HQ though...

Any thoughts or insights?

I don't think you want to know my thoughts on the matter...   >:(

I still think they should have done FOUR cases as follows:

Wave 1
2x Han, Ben, Luke, Leia

Wave 2
2x Vader, Yoda, 3PO, Lando

Wave 3
2x Fett, Stormie, R2, Chewie

Oh yeah, like that would make a lot of sense Jeff...   ::)  Where do you come up with such cockamemy ideas, dude?  Puhleeeeze...

As for Wave 4, you screwed the pooch on that one too.  Wave 4 should've just been 8x Stormtrooper.  Duh!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 01:43 PM »
As for Wave 4, you screwed the pooch on that one too.  Wave 4 should've just been 8x Stormtrooper.  Duh!

Nah, wave 4 is for the Targets, TRUs, and Wal-Marts to get what they want... gotta keep them happy too.

If I were in charge over at Hasbro, I'd crank out a sweet 4-pack of vOTC Stormtroopers which I'd release at Holiday time (November) as an on-line exclusive:  4x vOTC Stormie for $30 in a nice white mailer box.

:-*

Jeff

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 03:32 PM »
I ordered Wave 2 from Star Wars Shop, and this is the case breakdown they gave me:

1 Luke Skywalker
1 Han Solo
2 Darth Vader
2 Yoda
2 Lando Calrissian
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 03:43 PM »
Paul,

The Wave 1 case WITHOUT Luke definitely shipped.  It's what initially hit at the K-Marts across the land, and in semi-decent abundance...  At least every K-Mart here got 2 cases in of the Wave 1 sans Luke.  

They've subsequently sold through all of them as well.

That wave's made a limited appearance at TRU's around here as well.  

WM, Target, and KB haven't had reports till just today...  I'm reading KB's are getting some of one of the Wave 1 cases in, and thata Target in my area has at least one spotting of VOTC at it (Wave 1 also it seems).

No WM sightings yet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 10:04 PM »
I'm a tad bit nervous about my Wave 1 case from SWS.com...I'm thinking its the one with Luke since other etailers are also shipping that case, but with those bastards it may actually wind up being the Wave 1.5 sans Luke.

Anyone want to place a bet?

:-X

Uh-oh.

Jeff

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 10:08 PM »
Uh-Oh is right

For those of you who don't frequent Watto's

Dear Stuffed Dog, Monkey and Ventriloquist Dummy

I ordered a Case of Wave 1 VOTC Figures.  This case contains Luke, Leia, Han and Obi-Wan.  I also know of the existance of Wave 1.5 which contains Leia, Han and Obi-Wan, no Luke.  Obviously, the dumbass **** for brains people you have working there have no idea of the existance of Wave 1.5 because that is what I ******* received in the ******* mail from you ******* today.  

The funny part of this is that I bet my friends at the On-Line community I hang out at, that you son of a bitch **** smokers would screw this one up since there seems to be nobody there with a ******* brain, and if there is someone there with a ******* brain, that person must have been sent out to lunch at the time my ordered was solicited (improperly), verified (it wasn't) and shipped (the shipping was great BTW).  

Thanks for continuing your solid reputation of having your collective heads up your collective ******* asses.    If you want to think I'll ever order anything from your **** sucking **** knob **** tard piece of dog **** store ever again, you really do have one ******* brain.

I'll be happy to return your package which I filled full of cat **** and hope you can sell them to some other dump ******* bastard who is stupid enough to order anything from you **** holes again.

A Fan for ******* Life and Pleased as **** you managed to **** up yet another ******* Order

Scott Pearson

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 10:09 PM »
IMO, it looks like the ESB figs are going to be a b!tch to find. Hopefully Amazon stocks up.... :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 11:07 AM »

I made strong mention of that exact point to one of the top Hasbro reps down at Comic Con last week Paul, and his answer was basically "tough $h!t."  He didn't care in the slightest, and when I asked if the Stormtrooper might ever be available at a cheaper price point and/or in greater quantities or in army building sets, he said "NO WAY," and reiterated the "tough $h!t" part.  This guy could've seriously used a refresher course in dealing with their fans and customers.  Very poor customer relations.  Very poor.  The other Hasbro fellas were at least respectful, and acknowledged some of my (the collector's) concerns.  They should've just left this other guy back at the Hasbro HQ though...

I had some mention of that in the post the first time I wrote it but I didn't want to get too off into that, because it gets preachy and makes me like the hobby less.  And how if I ran my business like they run theirs, I'd be out of business (in my best H. Ross Perot voice)

As of today I now have the following cases pre-ordered:(again Ent Earth's case breakdowns not)

Wave 2.5
1 Lando
1 Vader
1C3P0
1 Yoda
1 Obi Wan
1 Leia
1 Luke
1 Han

And 2x Wave 3

2x Boba Fett
1x Chewbacca
1x R2D2
2x Stormtrooper
1x Lando
1x Darth Vader

So bascially when all my orders are done, all I'll have extra is Fetts.  Since for the first time EVER I am going to keep some figures carded (maybe)

That just leaves me with finding 6 VOTC Stormtroopers at retail.  Since 2005 is looking like the year of the Prequel, I'll have a ton of extra SW money to spend them.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 02:14 PM »
Uh-Oh, Nick,

Better re-check your order then...

Somewhere around July 7th, most e-tailers CHANGED the case packs for waves 2 and 2.5 cases.

From EE, wave 2:
"UPDATE July 7, 2004 - Assortment Change. Lando Calrissian has been removed from this assortment by Hasbro. Please see item number HS85213B2. "

Lando got pulled and replaced with Han and Luke.  

The case-pack of 2x Han, Luke, Vader, Yoda is how EE, NewForce, etc are all listing the wave 2 case now, and it has been confirmed by Cloud City, Brian's Toys, and ActionHQ all of whom got the wave 2 cases in this week.  I would assume that this will end up being the case for SWShop.com too since their case pack is exactly how the old EE case pack was listed.  :(

Jeff

I only placed the order within the past week.  If they haven't changed the listing on their site, then there's a more serious problem.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 02:16 PM »
Well, I just got a case of Wave 1.5 when their website clearly says Wave 1

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 02:46 PM »
Must be the magic:

(subject to change)

I know you ordered one thing, but we're just gonna go ahead and swap out something similar, ok?   ::)

What next, shipping old PotF2 Emperors in the place of he OTC Emperor? >:(

These turds better get their act together or they are gonna go the way of the Wizards of the Coast Fan Club store...

Jeff