Author Topic: Vintage Variants/Errors  (Read 5529 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re:Vintage Variants/Errors
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2003, 01:17 AM »
This just in!!!

According to Paul Levesque, who operates a personal website at: http://pages.map.com/starwars/swtoys.html

"Kenner produced millions of figures between '78 and '85 in factories in three countries; Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Mexico. When comparing the same figure manufactured in two different locations, it is not unusual to find subtle differences in molding or paint."

So the green limbs Chewbacca we have, being made in Taiwan, has these differences most likely becuase of the factory he was produced at. I would also surmise that each area had a sort of signature way of stamping their name in the figure. In this case they used a smaller font size. While this generalizes the answers, it at least will give me a good nights rest.

The only thing is, is there a way to tell what figures were manufactured at more than one site and which figures these are? Oh why must I do this to myself. A whole new can of worms!!!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Zoso

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Variants/Errors
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2003, 04:45 AM »
Hi Guys,

I'm new here but post occassionally on other forums.

Interesting threads.I love variations in the vintage line and the Chewbacca green limbs one is always a good way to start an argument. :)

I have 2 Chewbaccas with the exact same copyright and placement as the green limbs one shown in the post above with Hong Kong in small lettering etc.
One has green limbs and the other is brown with no hint of green at all.
If they came from the same factory then presumably they were produced at a different time and that the green limbs ones were a batch made from a different plastic grade.Certainly it's not a case of all with this copyright having the green limbs.
I don't believe it's discolourment on these Chewbaccas as i remember someone saying they'd cut a limb in half and the colour was constant right through.Others swear that theirs came like this off a card too back in the day.
Anyway just my 2 pennys(i'm from the UK  ;)) or cents worth.

Zoso.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2003, 02:16 AM »
I must admit that puts a new twist on things...

I guess Kenner either let go of quality control or just decided to put the extra green plastic to use somewhere...

I would be interested to know whether this green limbs phenomenon started and ended at specific points or it continued until the end of the vintage releases. It is very odd that it wouldn't be exclusive to one manufacturing plant.

Why must you people do this to me?!!

Arrrrgggghhhh!!!

lol. Oh well, a new mystery to solve...
 It's too bad some of the old Kenner employees don't wade through these forums and answer some of the question marks in the vintage variations and errors. I have a hard time living without a definitive answer or reason for things like this.

Welcome to the site Zoso! Thank you for your input and I have a feeling you may be the one that could push me to the brink of variation insanity...

Keep posting, I love (with much frustration) challenges like this!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #18 on: April 1, 2003, 02:31 AM »
Of course I can't find the photo and the figure's packed up, but does this sound familiar - Han Solo in Bespin Gear dressed all in black instead of dark blue?  One of my husband's friends bought one back then, and he claims to have talked to a toy rep in the store who told him it was a mistake.  It's no longer in the package.  I received it as a wedding gift.  There must be a few more of these out there somewhere.....

Auriette
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff