Author Topic: Star Wars "Buddies"  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Star Wars "Buddies"
« on: August 9, 2004, 10:48 AM »
While checking TRU a couple of times this past weekend for any new VOTC sightings (sadly, none), I see that our store here has started to have these buddies hanging around.  I've neer had any of these, although we did pick up the Chewbacca for our nephew when these were released in the POTF2 days.  I was slightly tempted to get these (maybe because I didn't find anything else around town), but in the end held off.  Do any of you have/want these?

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars "Buddies"
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2004, 12:04 PM »
Buddies???  Are they actually new, or are they leftover stock from 5 years ago?  I have all the OT ones that were released, and was very sad to see the line stop.  They had made a vader and a dewback that looked great, but they were never released.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 05:27 PM »
There's only 4 or 5 of them (so far) in the OTC collection, and they're all just re-releases Drew, so no worries.

I picked up all the OT ones several years back as well (I think during the POTJ era, if I recall correctly).  Unfortunately, for some lame reason, I thought they'd look better without the tags, so I cut them all off.  I think my collecting has evolved since then, and now I prefer my items to be as "complete" as possible, so now I wish I had left their tags on.  Oh well, not that big a deal really...

I'll have to hunt around the hobby room and find them, so I can refresh my memory as to how many there were, and which characters they offiered.  I'd guess there were 8 - 12 of them the first time 'round though.

If you're into "cute", or have young kids, I guess these can be fun items to pick up.  I just got 'em 'cause I live to support the franchise by all means necessary...   ::)

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 09:14 AM »
from what I can recall, there were:

wicket
wampa
yoda
jabba
r2d2
chewie
3p0
max rebo
figrin dan

There may have been others - I'll have to check it out.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 05:12 PM »
from what I can recall, there were:

wicket
wampa
yoda
jabba
r2d2
chewie
3p0
max rebo
figrin dan

There may have been others - I'll have to check it out.

Also a Jawa and salacious crumb.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2004, 01:11 AM »
There's only 4 or 5 of them (so far) in the OTC collection, and they're all just re-releases Drew, so no worries.

I picked up all the OT ones several years back as well (I think during the POTJ era, if I recall correctly).  Unfortunately, for some lame reason, I thought they'd look better without the tags, so I cut them all off.  I think my collecting has evolved since then, and now I prefer my items to be as "complete" as possible, so now I wish I had left their tags on.  Oh well, not that big a deal really...

I'll have to hunt around the hobby room and find them, so I can refresh my memory as to how many there were, and which characters they offiered.  I'd guess there were 8 - 12 of them the first time 'round though.

If you're into "cute", or have young kids, I guess these can be fun items to pick up.  I just got 'em 'cause I live to support the franchise by all means necessary...   ::)
I bought the Wampa one about  15 months  before I gave birth to my son.  I thought it was cute.  He sleeps with it everynight- it's his version of a teddy bear.  You know you are a SW parent when... well, when your son has a photo in front of an X wing...
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2004, 01:20 AM »
I picked up the Ewok buddy the other day.

I think that's so cute your son sleeps with a stuffed wampa,  :D.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2004, 01:25 AM »
You know you are a SW parent when... well, when your son has a photo in front of an X wing...

and when your son sleeps with a stuffed wampa  :D

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2004, 12:34 PM »
Yeah, sleeps w/ a stuffed wampa, has 3 lightsabers- different colors, calls the Falcon "a piece of junk", and threatens the guy stacking the meat dept at Wal-Mart w/ the fact he doesn't like him, he's got a death warrant, and "you'll be dead!"... yeah, but he enjoys SW, it's not just me, I promise!!!!
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 03:01 AM »
Anyone catch site of the new (rumored) ROTS Buddies in the past day or two, over at the Chinese SW collecting site?  Man, can you say the Cowardly Lion from Wizard of Oz...?!   :o

While checking TRU a couple of times this past weekend ... I see that our store here has started to have these buddies hanging around.

Interestingly enough, just a few days ago, I actually talked a TRU cashier into letting me have their almost-empty OTC Buddies display case right off the shelf.  Looks pretty cool - nice and compact and hopefully able to fit all of my POTJ Buddies into it!  Just hope the difference in lines won't cause my OCD too much stress...   :P

Always fun to snag a display piece from a store, especially a cool OTC packaging one.  I only have 3 store display items now, but the collection's slowly growing...   8)

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 08:11 AM »
Yuk! The new Chewie looks like crap! >:(

I bought this collection back in the POFT2 days, I could not bring myself to buy them again with the new tags.

The Clonetrooper looks cool. I will buy any new plushes, but will skip any rehashes. Just no more room...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2004, 09:02 AM »

What the hell is that! That is the most ugliest Chewy I have ever seen. Yoda, have him from the old days, Clonetrooper looks great. May have to pick him up. Chewy, forget it!  ::)