Author Topic: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)  (Read 104171 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Looks like TRU is heading to the malls for Christmas with 80 new "Holiday Express" stores.  Sounds like they want to capture the mall holiday sales since KB is gone and retail space is dirt cheap right now thanks to the economy.

It will be interesting to see if it helps them generate new sales or if it just sucks away some sales from their regular stores...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2009, 12:23 PM »
If their prices aren't ridiculous like KB's were they should do well.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2009, 05:11 PM »
TRU also bought up the naming rights for KB Toys.  One of their Holiday Express stores is going to be in a local mall in a space that was occupied by KB, I wonder if they'll use that brand in that same space, or if they bought it up for another purpose...
I am not the Stig

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2009, 09:06 PM »
I found one of these stores in a shopping center that used to have a KayBee.  It's a different location from where KayBee had been, but around the same ammount of floor space as KayBee.  But the stock situation is less than a KayBee store would've had.

The funny thing is that the location they're at used to be another toy store, albeit many moons ago.  Anyone remember TSW Toy & Sports Warehouse?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2009, 09:13 PM »
I found one of these stores in a shopping center that used to have a KayBee.  It's a different location from where KayBee had been, but around the same ammount of floor space as KayBee.  But the stock situation is less than a KayBee store would've had.

The funny thing is that the location they're at used to be another toy store, albeit many moons ago.  Anyone remember TSW Toy & Sports Warehouse?

Yup, Ramsey/Mahwah NJ.  I didn't know that became a TRU or if that's even the location you're talking about, I'm not in Rockland/North NJ much anymore.  But I have an early childhood memory of going there when I was 6 years old in 1983ish and getting the Max Rebo band set by Kenner.  I remember it clear as day.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:17 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2009, 11:41 PM »
Death:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 01:52 AM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2009, 10:58 AM »
OMG, they killed the little red X Geoffrey. Those bastards!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 03:42 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2009, 11:17 AM »
TRU GIRAFFE DIES

hopefully that's better than my red x   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2009, 09:09 PM »
Looks like TRU is heading to the malls for Christmas with 80 new "Holiday Express" stores.  Sounds like they want to capture the mall holiday sales since KB is gone and retail space is dirt cheap right now thanks to the economy.

It will be interesting to see if it helps them generate new sales or if it just sucks away some sales from their regular stores...

I can't imagine they're going to do badly with this...

The best months KB every had were November to about January-ish every year...  They were the only months the store ever did well.  I think this is probably the smartest move though that TRU could make.  Pay some employees briefly, probably not well, and catch all that traffic in the malls that need toys for the holidays...  Target and Wal-Mart have to compete by pricing only then...  TRU has a lot of advantages with this I think.  Kudos to them for thinking outside the box.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2013, 12:55 PM »
With the holidays approaching, I guess it's time for another round of 'Is this the end for Toys R Us?' articles...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2013, 02:54 PM »
And K-Mart, and Sears, and JC Penney, and Kohls (Saw that one the other day) and Best Buy, and I saw an HH Greg one...  Seems soon we'll only have Wal-Mart, Target, 5 Below, TJ Maxx, Big Lots, and Dollar General to shop at.

Oh and Ross and Marshalls of course, even though they're both basically TJ Maxx most of the time.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Seems soon we'll only have... 5 Below,

That one must be regional.  Never heard of it.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2013, 02:49 PM »
They are right now, but they're spreading like a plague...  They've gotten in Star Wars figures, really good ones, for the last few years here.  They had Gammie Guards dumped at them last year.  They had the Wal-Mart TPM wave dumped this past year, and TVC Wave 3 with the Death Star Trooper too...

They're everywhere here...  On the smaller side.  They sell discount stuff, candy, cheap graphic T's, cheap decorating stuff which rotates for each season...  They're a store I find I can spend a ton in all the time.  They get blind bagged Lego figs, and polybagged mini-ships and sets. 

The candy selection is insane...  If you liked old candy like Lemon Heads or swedish fish, this store's for you.  We don't go to the movies anymore without hitting 5 Below first.

And everything is $5 or less...  There's even goofy tin lunch boxes of Star Wars and Ninja Turtles and all kinds of other stuff. 

It started out focused on girls, but that store's branched into all kinds of territory.  I got facepalm and double facepalm fridge magnets for my gf...  It's just a great store of useless ****.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2013, 03:54 PM »
No sign of any of the TRU Holiday Express stores around here just yet.  But then again, it's not even Thanksgiving yet.  But I wouldn't be surprised if we wind up seeing some of those seasonal stores pop up in the next week or two.

As for other Brick & Mortar toy stores?  I've seen more of these Smart Toys locations popping up in mall locations.  The prices are on the high side, but seeing how they don't have to worry about other toy specialty chains as competition, they can probably manage with some holiday traffic.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 03:57 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Weird thing at 5 Below was the non-Lego accessory packs designed for Legos. Brick Warriors?