Author Topic: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)  (Read 104165 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2018, 10:23 AM »
Although it isn't necessarily surprising, it is kind of sad for us as well. Like many others, memories span my childhood up to taking our daughter there as well. I grew up on a farm in a small town, so we maybe went to the "city" once or twice a year. Every once in awhile, we would get to stop by Toys R Us. At that age, it basically seemed like going to an amusement park or something. A dedicated Toy Store was so amazing to me.

I've been going there somewhat regularly with my daughter since she's been old enough to care, and even now when she is a little less into toys each year, we still enjoy going to walk around. I would say we go about once a month or so, and I always tried to give them business when we could or the price wasn't too different. It was fairly close to where we live, as is a dumpy Wal-Mart, so I'd rather give TRU the business if given the choice. I know the world, and kids, have changed....but it is another example of a nostalgic thing that doesn't have a place in the modern world.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2018, 02:42 PM »
We have a relatively new TRU  in Chino Hills. That place is always packed on weekends. It looks like people are doing Christmas shopping no matter what time of year it is. They even do special Lego building events on the weekend. The weekdays still see a lot people in the store. It's never dead. Unfortunately, they never get anything new when it comes to Star Wars but that isn't what kids are buying. The Lego area always has kids checking stuff out. I wonder what will happen to that store.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2018, 03:40 PM »
They didn't fail because it's a bad business concept.  They failed because they were saddled with billions in debt.

Someone like Walmart could launch a toy-only chain in the top performing locations and make a killing.  They could call it Wally World!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Definitely sad.  When I was growing up there was a TRU about 20 minutes or so away from my house and that was always my landmark to know where I was at.  I still recall driving with my parents and seeing that TRU (next to the Denny's) and knowing what direction we were travelling and how far away from home we were.  I won't forget that.

I'll miss wandering the aisles reminiscing about what it was like to be a kid...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2018, 03:34 PM »
An anecdotal report from my TRU store visit today...

-LIQUIDATION SALES BEGIN THURSDAY, MARCH 22nd

-LIQUIDATION SALES WILL CONTINUE UNTIL STOCK IS SOLD OUT, OR MAY 15th  (WHICHEVER COMES FIRST)
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2018, 11:09 AM »
I was looking forward to placing a big order on their website, but they have already started pulling off droves of lines. there is almost no NECA stuff left whatsoever for example.  :(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2018, 12:43 PM »
I was looking forward to placing a big order on their website, but they have already started pulling off droves of lines. there is almost no NECA stuff left whatsoever for example.  :(

Not surprising actually - they got a lot of stock for the holidays on credit and I believe I read in one article that a lot of it is probably going to be packed back up and returned to the manufacturer since they really didn't pay for it in the first place.

I'm hoping I might be able to score a couple more of the Force Link 2-pack sets that were exclusive to Toys R Us once the discounts start.

I wonder what this time-table means for the Solo toys. Aren't they hitting in April?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2018, 06:33 PM »
Yeah I've heard LEGO does the same thing. No deals will be had, they just send the inventory back.

I stopped by my TRU today for what will probably be the last time. Mostly the same inventory they've had for the last 3 years or so. I might return when the deals start to see if I could get some more Rey/Crait and Ackbar/Officer sets for cheap.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:35 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2018, 07:16 PM »
I wonder what this time-table means for the Solo toys. Aren't they hitting in April?

If the liquidation is supposed to conclude by May 15th?  I don't think any Solo product will land at TRU.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2018, 10:53 PM »

If the liquidation is supposed to conclude by May 15th?  I don't think any Solo product will land at TRU.

Toys R Us owes Hasbro an estimated $59 million, so I agree with Nick that it's pretty doubtful they are getting any Solo product. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2018, 01:13 AM »
Oh come on, there's that little window open there.  Maybe. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2018, 06:14 AM »
Yeah I've heard LEGO does the same thing. No deals will be had, they just send the inventory back.

This makes me a bit sad.  I love Lego but refrain from buying much simply because of the price point and other priorities.  I was hoping to scoop up a few kits for a relatively decent sale.

Other than that, I might drop by and see if there are any PS4 games I want.  If not, I don't see myself buying anything from the local TRU.  I've only visited a few times over the past year, mainly for my daughter's Barbie stuff, and have seen nothing of significance or even current, on their shelves.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2018, 07:04 AM »

Toys R Us owes Hasbro an estimated $59 million, so I agree with Nick that it's pretty doubtful they are getting any Solo product. :P

Holy ****!  I had heard about TRU getting product on credit, but that's just ludicrous!  And the fact that they owe Mattel over $150 million?  I can't believe anyone would do business like that.

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Holy ****!  I had heard about TRU getting product on credit, but that's just ludicrous!  And the fact that they owe Mattel over $150 million?  I can't believe anyone would do business like that.

Why not?  It's Toys R Us, not Dark Side Toys... also, if you can't sell the product and pay for it, manufacturers just take the product back at bankruptcy...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2018, 09:16 AM »
I checked out the Chino Hills TRU no signs up for store closing yet. However the Clare's section was almost completely empty. I guess Clare's took their merchandise back. I wonder if TRUs are going to start finding weird unsold Star Wars figures from TVC or ROTS laying around. I assume places like Koles and TJ Max will start seeing more toy inventory soon.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:21 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours