Author Topic: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)  (Read 104138 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Toys R Us (Or: Die, Dinosaur, Die!)
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2018, 07:37 PM »
Wow.  I'm surprised that they would have shipped that much product out a month in advance of the street date.  But it would probably cost Hasbro more to reclaim that stock and figure out a way to re-distribute it.

Today I walked in to what I consider my "home" Toys R Us store.  I’ve been going to that store since the 80's when they put another toy chain, Child World, out of business.  And when I saw the “GOING OUT OF BUSINESS” sign it was like a slap in the face.   

Notable signs?  All sales are final as of today.  Action figures are discounted 10%, and construction/LEGO is discounted by 5%.

That was what I was referring to in my original post back on the 20th - the boats leave Asia and the shipments head to stores MONTHS before the street date and these liquidation announcements have been pretty rapid-faire. So my point was - will Toys R Us put Han Solo stuff out if it makes it all the way from the distribution warehouses to the stores or will they be expected to just pack it up and ship it back.

Sounds like we already have the answer based on Jeff's post, and honestly, I'm not surprised, you're working at a store that is closing, you're probably worried about finding your next job, who gives a damn if that 6" Han Solo toy is supposed to be shipped back to Hasbro or if it can go out on the shelves, your manager just said bring stuff out of the stock room, so that's what you're gonna do.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:38 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2018, 11:34 AM »
My question was really about whether or not product had gotten from Hasbro's distribution centers to Toys R Us.  And frankly I'm a little surprised that it already shipped to Toys R Us' distribution network.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2018, 12:30 PM »
My question was really about whether or not product had gotten from Hasbro's distribution centers to Toys R Us.  And frankly I'm a little surprised that it already shipped to Toys R Us' distribution network.

I'm not. I haven't seen a TFA restock at any of the stores I go to in over a month, but I have seen the Solo 6" figures pop out at WalMart twice. This stuff shipped a while ago and they're sitting on it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2018, 04:28 PM »
Just saw a note that TRU.com is no longer taking orders - when you try to checkout, you get a pop-up box that says:

Thanks for visiting. We have shut down the website for any purchases but our brick and mortar stores are open and holding going out of business sales. You can keep up-to-date with the sale at goodbuytoysrus.com and liquidation-going-out-of-business-FAQs. We encourage you to stop by your local store and take full advantage of the deep discounts and deals available. Thank you for your business and support over the years.

Sincerely, Toys”R”Us and Babies”R”Us teams.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2018, 09:10 PM »
 :-\

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 2, 2018, 09:19 AM »
That site would be a lot more helpful to me if they would update whenever the prices drop in store. I figure it's not even worth my time til they hit 50% off or more...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 2, 2018, 10:39 AM »
I stopped by one of our TRU's yesterday and it was BONKERS at 10% off.  Half of the Lego section was empty at 5% off.  By the time it hits 30% there will be nothing of value left. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 2, 2018, 11:36 AM »
That site would be a lot more helpful to me if they would update whenever the prices drop in store. I figure it's not even worth my time til they hit 50% off or more...

Good luck with that.  TRU is trying to make as much money as possible right now in the liquidation process.  And by the time they get around to the really deep discounts?  I doubt there's going to be much left that anyone would really want to buy.

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 2, 2018, 11:44 AM »
I went today. It will be my last ever trip. Scraps left.  :'(
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 2, 2018, 11:47 AM »
I stopped by one of our TRU's yesterday and it was BONKERS at 10% off.  Half of the Lego section was empty at 5% off.  By the time it hits 30% there will be nothing of value left.

Same story at the one I usually go to in Chicago.  10% off, 5% off Lego, the store is like 50% picked over already.

They should have just had a 10% off sale from time to time to clear out old stock and maybe they wouldn't have been in this mess.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 2, 2018, 12:13 PM »
I remember seeing something similar when some area K-Mart stores shut down during their last round of store closures.  They were just grinding their way down on discounts, a little bit at a time.  When they got down to some of the best sales the store looked decimated!  Large sections of the store roped off, and shelving consolidated in accordance with the depleted amount of stock on hand.

I imagine that with some stores this is going to take longer than it will at others.  Some stores will be fed by warehouses that have more stock than others.  I know that at one area store which was on that list of initial closures (which was part of the restructuring), the discounts are down to around 70% off.  But that got announced in January, and the target date for that particular store closing was in April.

Then there's the psychology of this situation coming into play.  So many parents want to be able to take their kids to a toy store.  And the weekend after the liquidation story broke a lot of stores were inundated with people.  Most of them probably didn't get a sense about how this was all going to play out in terms of the liquidation schedule, and they bought in on the 10% off on action figures and 5% off on LEGO.  And frankly, ANY sale with LEGO is usually an event since it almost never goes on sale.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2018, 12:14 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 2, 2018, 12:55 PM »
And frankly, ANY sale with LEGO is usually an event since it almost never goes on sale.

5% is available every day with Target.  These are just casual bargain hunters.  LOL.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 2, 2018, 12:57 PM »
5% is available every day with Target.  These are just casual bargain hunters.  LOL.

And at Target, Lego costs less to begin with.

People are literally paying more for Lego at a going-out-of-business sale than they could down the street.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 2, 2018, 01:14 PM »
And frankly, ANY sale with LEGO is usually an event since it almost never goes on sale.

For those who know how to shop at Target stores and have a red card?  Yes. But I don’t think everyone is hip to that.
« Last Edit: April 2, 2018, 01:15 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 3, 2018, 10:24 AM »

For those who know how to shop at Target stores and have a red card?  Yes. But I don’t think everyone is hip to that.
Clearly since the Legos were wiped out at 5%.