Author Topic: New Clone Wars line previewed at Toy Fair!  (Read 11352 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
New Clone Wars line previewed at Toy Fair!
« on: February 14, 2003, 04:05 PM »
Eegads, my head is spinning with sensory overload right now! Having a difficult time formulating coherent thoughts...

Hasbro just previewed some of the new Clone Wars line.  Check these bad boys out:

Sweet Clone Troopers!  I don't mind the preposes of the Clone Trooper 3-pack, as long as all 3 are in different (and excellent) poses, which these appear to be! Most beautiful. And if that Federation Droid 3-pack does indeed come with one of each of the Super Battle Droid, Destroyer Droid, and regular Battle Droid, then that will be an absolute dream come true! Looks like the two "wheels" on the Hailfire Droid have been corrected to a more angled position too! I love the new packaging as well. Kudos in a major way to Hasbro!

FOUR new Screen Scenes - of the Jedi Council and Geonosis War Room, with at least two brand new figures in each!!! Does that mean that there will likely be two different sets of each of those two scenes? Do you realize what that could potentially mean?!  Oh boy, lots of holes might get filled in with these!

What do you guys and gals think?!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 05:58 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

Re:New Clone Wars line previewed at Toy Fair!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 05:01 PM »
This really turned out to be a great day for pics, didn't it?

Sign me up for several of the army building clone packs! I love the poses, especially the kneeling one. It reminds me of the Kotobukia Clonetrooper.

I'm particularly fond of the packaging. It feels very appropriate to the premise for the line, and the figures look nice against the background. Hopefully it will remain close to this for the end product. My only addition would be to add background art in full color like the AAT box has.

The only thing that I won't really get into with this are the EU-ish versions of core characters, judging by Yoda. I'll buy one to keep carded, but I won't open him up, it's just not my scene.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2003, 05:02 PM »
Mixed, I hate most EU so some of this stuff doesn't appeal to me.  I'll pick up for sure those 3 packs though, very nice.  Basically anything that is in the movies I'll get, Yoda in his Hunting Vest will stay at the store.  

I also hope the kids buy this stuff because they are putting their neck out pretty far and deviating from a known seller, could be bad news and pegwarming heaven (see also Shadows of the Empire!!!)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2003, 05:18 PM »
Well lookie, lookie who finally poked his head in here!  Nice to see you J!

As for the pictures of the couple carded figures, I almost lost my gourd there temporarily when I saw those repacked figures of Anakin and the Clonetrooper.  Fortunately, Hasbro was quick to explain that they just threw some old figures in there for the mock-up packaging.  Phew!

I usually only buy one carded and one loose of the Prequel figures, since they're of much less interest to me than anything from the OT, which I tend to buy many of each of.  But if these two 3-packs come out as nicely as it looks like they will, you can now officially consider me a Prequel army building fool!  Especially if Hasbro sticks to that $10 per 3-pack price.  Very nice!  Somehow, I think that might change though - unless they're just issued in the white mailer boxes through non retail outlets, and not put on cards.  Do you think that will happen?

I hope Hasbro's still got some more goodies to pull out of their bag at Toy Fair...  Jedi Luke, Coleman, Wat, Wedding Padme...

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 05:30 PM »
Yep, watch out, I've arrived!  ;)

I wonder about the 3 packs too. I'm assuming they'd be on deluxe cards, since further down in the release they mention this:

Clone Wars Multi-Packs (Approximate retail price: $9.99)

Beginning in the fall, kids and collectors can begin building up their troops for mass battle action with three-packs of clones, droids and Jedi figures. Additional figures include DESTROYER DROID with launcher, a new Bounty Hunter with SPEEDERBIKE, and NEW CLONE COMMANDO with SPEEDERBIKE.

Sounds like they are basically going to ship these to retailers under a "deluxe" tag that those buyers might already understand. Does that seem right?

My only concern with 3 figures at the 9.99 price is quality of plastic they use. I always hated that the Cinema Scenes figures always felt somewhat cheap. Hopefully that's not an issue here.

Good to be here!

-Jared

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 05:34 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot they stuck that under the Deluxe Figure moniker!

As nice as that $10 price is for 3 army building figures, that was a concern of mine as well:  What will the overall quality of them be at such a cheap price?  But they do look pretty good upon initial inspection!

Can't wait for those new Screen Scenes!  I wonder if they'll mix the Jedi Council sets up and do one from each movie - TPM and AOTC, since we're definitely still missing some of the members from each.

I wish we had some more OT news to chew on though.  Maybe a surprise figure announcement or two...   :-\
« Last Edit: February 14, 2003, 05:36 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2003, 11:50 PM »
I'll be passing on GI Yoda and EU figures in general as I usually do.
But I wants those clone troopers!

Offline Obi-Juan

• Youngling
  • Don't make me Pimp Smack you Vader!!!
    • View Profile
New Clone Wars line previewed at Toy Fair!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2003, 05:01 AM »
I can not wait!!  I want these yesterday!!!!  Why aren't they here yet??????  I think these are awesome.  I really can't wait.
Pimp-Jedi.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2003, 11:26 AM »
I think I wet my pants when I saw those pictures the other day!  The boxes and cards look so sweet and original!  My only question why are they just calling them "Clone Wars" on them?  Do you think that could be the title of EP3?  Just curious, but they look sweeeeeeeeeet!!!
dustrho

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2003, 11:38 AM »
Information on the Clone Wars Title can be read here in this JediDefender article. There is a category entitled "Clone Wars" and gives an explanation of the change.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2003, 11:39 AM by Chris Berry »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2003, 03:31 PM »
Look's like I will be working overtime or getting a loan for this stuff.  ;D

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2003, 04:10 PM »
It looks promising from an Army builder's standpoint.    One nice little tidbit I noticed was the alternate paint job on the Gunship.  It's cool.  And the paintscheme seem to be moving more towards an Imperial look.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2003, 12:41 AM »
It's going to be a GREAT year!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2003, 02:25 PM »
It is hard to tell but the Clones around Senor Yoda look articulated ala the Saga Red Trooper.  Too bad this is all we are getting :(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2003, 12:22 AM »
There has been mention of an all white version of the red-trimmed Clone Trooper.  Hopefully that's a rumor with some measure of truth.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback