Author Topic: Cake pans and candy molds  (Read 4565 times)

Offline RJP

• Youngling
  • Hi! I'm Tammy from CA
    • View Profile
    • RJP'S PAGE
Cake pans and candy molds
« on: January 22, 2003, 05:22 PM »
I also collect the SW cake pans and candy molds. Anyone else? ;D

Offline motf

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Matters of the Force
Re: Cake Pans & Candy Molds
« Reply #1 on: March 9, 2003, 12:26 PM »
I finally found the Boba Fett cake pan after 10 years of searching.  I'm looking for the candy molds now.

Please let me know if you come across them for sale (or if I could borrow someones set to make some).

Thanks,

cathy
Cathy Bowden, Director
Star Wars Programming
Dragon*Con, Inc.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Cake pans and candy molds
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 06:05 PM »
My wife just bought me one off of eBay.  Never even knew these things existed!  She bought it for me so she could make me a birthday cake (my b-day is 4/30), but when she got the thing it was still MISB (not really mint, but pretty close).  Click on the link below to see pictures of it...

#1, #2 and #3
dustrho

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2003, 12:47 AM »
I wish Wilton would release new cake pans. And I didn't even know they did candy molds.  I have the old R2-D2, Darth Vader and, I  think, Boba Fett cake pans.  My husband and I have often thought they could make cool candy molds based on Han Solo in Carbonite.  What subjects have they done?

On a related note, Wilton made a ball-shaped cake pans (primarily for sports-based cakes) and I used it to make a Death Star cake once.  However, it didn't turn out great.  Maybe I'll take a cake decorating course sometime and try it again.

Auriette

When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline RJP

• Youngling
  • Hi! I'm Tammy from CA
    • View Profile
    • RJP'S PAGE
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 01:44 PM »
Great item dustrho!!! They are hard to find in such a minty case.
I made the Vader cake about a year ago and it came out great. One word of caution though-You might want to go with chocolate frosting instead of tinting it black. It looks good but makes a mess and anyone who eats too much will have a nice surprize in the 'freasher ;)

I only have the Vader and R2 pans right now but am looking for the others-Boba Fett and C3PO.

There are 5 different candy mold sets made by wilton but there are also a lot of nock-offs too. the candy characters are: Boba Fett, Vader, Stormtrooper, C3PO, Chewbacca,R2D2,Yoda, and an Ewok.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2003, 02:22 AM by RJP »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Cakepans... They Running High?
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2004, 01:29 AM »
I've never actively tried getting the Cake Pans from Wilton, but I've always wanted at least Darth Vader...  Now that I know there's 2 others beyond Vader and R2, I've started looking around (I had no idea about Fett actually till Bobafett14 showed me his that he just got.  I love it!).

So I'm out and about in the market for these, but Vader's are even going higher than I thought.  I figured these were relatively cheap...

Does anyone know their original retail?  Anyone know what a good price was on these so I can judge if they've gone up or something?

I'd love at least a Vader one in minty condition, but I've been surprised to see what they are going for (not that it's terribly high, but for a used one with no packaging it's higher than I thought).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Cakepans... They Running High?
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2004, 01:35 PM »
according to the Star Wars Super Collector's Wishbook (something every collector needs - c'mon Jesse, get with the program  ;) ) - there were 4 cake pans released, as well as 2 cake decorating sets. This book (unfortunately) doesn't tell you how much they were when they came out, but it lists prices as follows:

Boba Fett - $35
C-3P0 - $20
Darth Vader - $25
R2-D2 - $20

Cake decorating kits, boxed:
Darth Vader - $25
R2-D2 - $25

of course, this book is published every few years, and ebay is a way more current "price guide" if you will for what people are willing to pay for these. I've been thinking about getting the Fett for a while now, since he's the main focus of my collection. But I just can't bring myself to spend so much money on it. I've seen Fett go for upwards of $35 - $40 and up, in new unused condition (including the full color insert inside the pan) and used ones going for a little less. Not much, but a little. Which wouldn't bother me, 'cause if I did get one, I'd have to bake a cake with it  ;D

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2004, 02:06 PM »
The 3PO is the one I need.  I love  these pans

Basically I've been trying to get the cake pans with an insert.  Anything over that is gravy. 

Occationally a boxed w/insert and instructions- pan/set comes up on ebay for an arm and a leg.

I've lucked out, I recently got the Fett pan w/insert for about $20+a few $ S&H, Vader and R2 both I got under $15 w/insert.

I'd like to get the instructions, but not really a big deal-if I find em at a toy show or something great, but I'm not breaking my back for instructions.

I always like the quirky SW stuff.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2004, 03:00 PM »
If you just need the instructions, you can print of a set that you need from this site:

www.wilton.com

Just type in Vader, R2D2 & Boba Bett in the "Search by Pan Name or Stock Number" engine. I could not find C-3PO, (stock #502-2197 according to one eBay auction).  :-\

There PDF files so you can save & print.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 7, 2004, 09:36 AM »
This is an area of Star Wars collecting that I've always been sort of interested in as well, thank you for bringing it up.  I'd like to start off and get one of these cake pans too, and I was curious what they might be going for.  I think the temptation would be there to actually "use" the pan though to make a cake for us too :).  Thanks for the info everyone.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 7, 2004, 10:32 AM »
Just looking at completed auctions:

Boba Fett Complete

Boba Fett Not Complete

Darth Vader Complete

Darth Vader Not Complete

R2-D2 Complete

R2-D2 Not Complete

C-3PO Complete

C3PO Semi Complete

Should give you an idea what range they go for.  ;)

Found these in my search too, foil cake pans!

Wilton Cake Pan Star Wars Foil 1980 R2-D2 Darth

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: September 7, 2004, 06:51 PM »
Cakepans.

I'm very tempted...

- Mat(t)

:P

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 8, 2004, 08:21 PM »
Cool, I hadn't even seen the "cheaper" foil pans ( the R2/Vader auction)

The pans are cool, trust me-worth every penny.  Just really cool collectibles, plus there are a lot of cake pan collectors ouot there, so similar to categories like Lunch boxes, they are great cross-collectibles.
Surprised to see the vader at $41 holy crap, Fett at $51 is understandable-he's a tough one.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 02:31 PM »
Rebelscum just featured an auction on their homepage today 3PO/R2 pans.

No inserts or anything, just the pans.