Author Topic: Saw Things So Much Clearer...Pearl Jam Thread V4.0  (Read 46735 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Saw Things So Much Clearer...Pearl Jam Thread V4.0
« Reply #45 on: August 1, 2004, 09:39 PM »
Some brief words on the afore-mentioned benefit concerts:

Would absolutely love to cross Neil and R.E.M. off my "must-see" list, so when it comes to Oklahoma (yeah, right), count me in.  But I'll be in either the beer or Port-O-Potty lines for the entire Dave Matthews Band set, thankyouverymuch.

As for the Beranoya set--I've listened to it a few times through now, and although I know that you die-hards are bored with it already, it's still new to me.  So, some impressions:

Highlights:

"Man of the Hour", "I Believe in Miracles", "Masters of War", the audience participation bit in "Black", and Cash's "25 Minutes to Go".

Lowlights:

"Low Light".  

(Groan)

"Yellow Ledbetter" is starting to sound the same to me, and the whole tagging-the-end-of-"Daughter" is starting to get a little stale, too.

Overall, though, great show.  Due to the (mostly) acoustic guitars, and the fact that they changed up their set quite a bit compared to a lot of the 2003 shows, I really like this album.  Lots of stuff they didn't typically play.

Question:  Where's Beranoya?  The packaging really doesn't say, and I'm too lazy to look it up.  Is it somewhere in the U.S., or is it in another country?

Another question:  Is the Showbox DVD still available at their site, or is this gonna be an eBay purchase?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: August 1, 2004, 09:49 PM »
Its in Seattle, I really like them adding Fatal to the play list, I love that song.  Ledbetter got a little overplayed last tour methinks, not as cool as it once was but it still can send shivers down my spine when I hear the crowd roar in approval.  I prefer the RITFW ending these days

edits for spelling
« Last Edit: August 1, 2004, 09:51 PM by OCB »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #47 on: August 1, 2004, 09:58 PM »
Yeah, with all that's going on in the world, RITFW carries a lot more weight than Ledbetter does.

They aired the April 1994 Saturday Night Live with the boys last night on NBC; this was the show done just weeks after Kurt blew his head off, and PJ was kind of right on the top of their wave of success.  They did three songs ("Not for You"--months before Vitalogy, "Daughter", and "Rearviewmirror")--and I don't know if SNL ever let a band do three songs, before or since that show.  Dave was still drumming.

Anyway, I remember watching that show live when it aired, waiting for Ed to make some sort of tribute to Kurt, which came at the very end of the show with the "K" on the t-shirt, underneath the jacket.

Anyone else see that show, back in the day?

And is it just me, or is Jeff Ament like the most annoying mofo that ever came out of Seattle?  Can't stand that guy.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 1, 2004, 10:07 PM »
They aired the April 1994 Saturday Night Live with the boys last night on NBC; this was the show done just weeks after Kurt blew his head off, and PJ was kind of right on the top of their wave of success.  They did three songs ("Not for You"--months before Vitalogy, "Daughter", and "Rearviewmirror")--and I don't know if SNL ever let a band do three songs, before or since that show.  Dave was still drumming.

interesting. they showed some episode from christmas time with pink as musical guest here last night.

anyway, yeah, i remember seeing that episode back in the day when it was on, and thought "wow, they are doing a third song". they were also the first band (i think) to do 3 songs on the david letterman show as well.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2004, 10:08 PM by jokabofe »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: August 1, 2004, 10:15 PM »
I remember that 3 song thing being a huge deal, one of my buddies was a huge Soundgarden fan and I remember me making boatloads of comments about that

See above about Jeff...I can't really stand him either

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #50 on: August 1, 2004, 10:21 PM »
interesting. they showed some episode from christmas time with pink as musical guest here last night.

Yeah, I was a little unclear about that.  Sorry.  The Sharpton/Pink episode played here, too, in the regular SNL time slot, but NBC now has a deal where they play a "classic" SNL immediately following the "current" episode.  The Estevez/PJ episode played here right after the one you saw.

they were also the first band (i think) to do 3 songs on the david letterman show as well.

Yeah, I think I remember that, too.  Letterman's always liked PJ (or at least has acted like he has), so maybe that explained their appearance.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #51 on: August 4, 2004, 09:09 AM »
More on the Elect Kerry benefit shows:

Bands Gather to Stump Against Bush  

NEW YORK - In an unprecedented series of concerts in nine swing states, more than 20 musical acts — including Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam and the Dixie Chicks — will perform fund-raising concerts one month before the Nov. 2 election in an effort to unseat President Bush.

The shows, which will begin Oct. 1 in Pennsylvania, will take an unusual approach: as many as six concerts on a single day in cities across the states expected to decide the November presidential race. Other stops on the tour are North Carolina, Ohio, Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin and the key state in 2000, Florida.

"We're trying to put forward a group of progressive ideals and change the administration in the White House," Springsteen told The Associated Press in the most overtly political statements of his 30-year career. "That's the success or failure, very clear cut and very simple."

The artists of different generations and genres will tour under the name "Vote For Change," with shows Oct. 1-8. But the money generated will go to America Coming Together, which promises on its Web site to "derail the right-wing Republican agenda by defeating George W. Bush."

The anticipated millions of dollars will be spent in the swing states before the presidential election, said ACT president Ellen Malcolm.

The shows will be presented by MoveOn Pac, the electoral arm of the liberal interest group MoveOn.org, with an official announcement expected Wednesday.

There was no immediate word on prices for tickets, which were going on sale for all shows Aug. 21. The shows will pair artists, such as Springsteen and REM or the Dixie Chicks and James Taylor. There will be 34 shows in 28 cities.

Natalie Maines, of the Dixie Chicks, who memorably told a London audience last year that she was ashamed to share her home state of Texas with Bush, echoed a Springsteen comment that this was the most important election of their lives.

"A change is in order," Maines said. "There's never been a political climate like this, which is so the polar opposite of me as a person and what I believe in."

The idea was hatched by several of the acts' managers, and quickly expanded. "Once we started talking to each other, ideas started percolating and other artists started reaching out to us," said Jon Landau, Springsteen's manager.

Other artists participating in the shows include hip-hoppers Jurassic 5, John Mellencamp, Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Babyface, Bright Eyes and the Dave Matthews Band. Most have a history of social activism, from Browne's anti-nuclear concerts to Mellencamp's Farm Aid shows. Pearl Jam front man Vedder was a Ralph Nader backer in 2000.

"At some point, you can't sit still," said Vedder, a harsh critic of the Iraq war. "You can't spend your life, when people are getting killed, without asking serious questions about why."

Springsteen said he didn't fear any backlash over going public with his personal politics.

"It's a pretty clear-cut decision in November," said Springsteen, whose songs have provided a backdrop for some Kerry events. "We're chipping in our two cents. That's all we're trying to do."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #52 on: August 4, 2004, 09:10 AM »
Whew, thought I was being scooped again...

August 4, 2004 - Pearl Jam on the Vote for Change tour!

Pearl Jam is excited to announce the Vote for Change concert tour. Vote for Change is a loose coalition of musicians brought together by a single idea—the need to make a change in the direction of our country. We share a belief that this is the most important election of our lifetime. We are fighting for a government that is open, rational, just and progressive.
"The upcoming election provides everyone an opportunity to change the direction our country is headed and to elect a government that is just, rational and respectful of the views and rights of the people it serves. This coalition of artists wants to be a part of that change." said Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam.

Artists participating in Vote for Change have merged their energies and talents to focus on states that are expected to have the closest race in the presidential election this fall. This unprecedented effort will include approximately 34 shows in 28 cities in 9 battleground states over the course of a week.

These concerts will feature Babyface, Jackson Browne, Bright Eyes, Dave Matthews Band, Death Cab for Cutie, the Dixie Chicks, John Fogerty, Ben Harper, Jurassic 5, Keb' Mo', John Mellencamp, My Morning Jacket, Pearl Jam, Bonnie Raitt, R.E.M., James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and more. These and other artists will appear on separate bills on the same night in selected cities around several battleground states.

Vote for Change artists hope to accomplish a single goal through the tour: to get people to the polls on November 2nd to vote for a change.

The Vote for Change tour will be presented by MoveOn PAC, with all concert proceeds benefiting the work of America Coming Together (ACT).

TICKETS:

Pearl Jam and Death Cab for Cutie will be performing the following Vote for Change shows:

Oct. 1 Reading, PA - Sovereign Center
Oct. 2 Toledo, OH - Sports Arena
Oct. 3 Grand Rapids, MI - Delta Plex
Oct. 5 St. Louis, MO - Fox Theater
Oct. 6 Asheville, NC - Civic Center
Oct. 8 Kissimmee, FL - Silver Spur Arena

IMPORTANT: Check back here for more information about how to get tickets to these shows. All dates and venues subject to change.

For more information about Vote for Change, including ticket information and updates, go to moveonpac.org.

"This is the fourth presidential election which Pearl Jam has engaged in as a band, and we feel it's the most important one of our lifetime. We believe in the power of the first amendment, and have always exercised our right to free speech in every aspect of our lives and music. This year there is no more powerful way for all Americans to exercise that right than by voting. Given the extreme political climate of a country at war, we are proud to stand among the many artists involved in this tour and to encourage Americans not only to vote for a president this November 2nd, but to vote for the change they wish to see in the world." - Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam

Be sure to register to vote early and make your Vote for Change!

BACKGROUND:
Unprecedented in scale and strategy, ACT is building the largest voter mobilization effort in history to elect progressive candidates to federal, state and local offices in November. For more information on ACT visit www.act04.com.

MoveOn PAC is a 2.5 million-member online grassroots political action committee working to take back our government. By gathering small contributions from ordinary citizens, it is using the Internet to level the playing field against the interest of big corporate money in politics. It's sister organization, MoveOn.org, raises issues of war and peace, social justice, media integrity and honesty in government. For more information, visit moveonpac.org.

« Last Edit: August 4, 2004, 09:18 AM by OCB »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #53 on: August 4, 2004, 09:13 AM »
So...dangnabbit Saint Louis is probably the closest and the show is on a ******* Tuesday :-\

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #54 on: August 4, 2004, 09:14 AM »
And here are the schedules:

http://www.moveonpac.org/vfc/schedule.html

Pearl Jam / Death Cab for Cutie

Friday, Oct. 1 - Reading PA
Saturday, Oct. 2 - Toledo, OH
Sunday, Oct. 3 - Grand Rapids, MI
Tuesday, Oct. 5 - St. Louis, MO
Wednesday, Oct. 6 - Asheville, NC
Friday, Oct. 8 - Kissimmee, FL

Looks like St. Paul gets Springsteen, R.E.M., John Fogerty, and Bright Eyes on Tuesday, Oct. 5.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #55 on: August 4, 2004, 09:15 AM »
Whew, thought I was being scooped again...

Well, you thought right, smart guy!
« Last Edit: August 4, 2004, 09:16 AM by Virex »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #56 on: August 4, 2004, 09:16 AM »
And here are the schedules:

http://www.moveonpac.org/vfc/schedule.html

Pearl Jam / Death Cab for Cutie

Friday, Oct. 1 - Reading PA
Saturday, Oct. 2 - Toledo, OH
Sunday, Oct. 3 - Grand Rapids, MI
Tuesday, Oct. 5 - St. Louis, MO
Wednesday, Oct. 6 - Asheville, NC
Friday, Oct. 8 - Kissimmee, FL

Looks like St. Paul gets Springsteen, R.E.M., John Fogerty, and Bright Eyes on Tuesday, Oct. 5.

Old News ::)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #57 on: August 4, 2004, 09:18 AM »
Old News ::)

That's okay--you have your fun.  I don't give a damn.

Hope you enjoy hanging out with the wife and kids at home on Tuesday, Oct. 5. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: August 4, 2004, 09:20 AM »
Plans are already in motion, drive down Tuesday and come back Wednesday, 2 days off...not too shabby

The question is whether the 10c will get tickets...and if so, how hard are they gonna be to get?

Or I could fly to Toledo, OH and stay at Chris Berry's place

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #59 on: August 4, 2004, 09:23 AM »
You should just go to the St. Paul show on the same day, instead.

More bands, better bands, and much closer. . .

8)