Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 64042 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #135 on: June 4, 2004, 02:06 PM »
OK...and I think I'm right on the Hoth Skirt thing...he only wore that there, the rest of the movie he is without it

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #136 on: June 4, 2004, 02:07 PM »
Boy, that's a helpful picture there...   ::)   :P

This is technically supposed to be an ESB version of Vader, after all.  So I'd say it's got the appropriate chest plate with the silver/black color combination happening.  I was going to ask the same question on the inner cloak - if Vader had it in all of ESB and ROTJ too, since I could only remember ANH and Hoth for sure.  If he doesn't have it in the rest of the movies, then I guess I can live with it missing from this figure.

Not sure if his head is really "smooshed down", or if the black cape extending behind his head just makes it look that way (since you can't see his neck, or any space between his head and shoulders).  Hopefully it turns out fine though...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #137 on: June 4, 2004, 02:25 PM »
The inner cloak does work just like they implemented on the figure.

Huh?  I don't see it.  I think I see the upper portion tucked in around his chest plate, as it should be, but I don't see anything on the figure beyond that...  That Hyperspace pic definitely shows the lower portion of the inner skirt piece though.

Unfortunately, I'm having a bitch of a time trying to find any decent full body shots from ESB or ROTJ.  Stay tuned for more...

:P
« Last Edit: June 4, 2004, 02:27 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #138 on: June 4, 2004, 02:26 PM »
Agreed, most shots are just waist up...Matt you seem to confirm that he did wear a skirt on Hoth though...right?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #139 on: June 4, 2004, 02:40 PM »
You can definitely see the top portion in this shot.  I'll see if I can find a better, full length one though.

Hmm...  Hard to tell...

Looks like a skirt blowing in the Cloud City breeze...

Looks like a separate skirt draped over his knees:

« Last Edit: June 4, 2004, 02:54 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #140 on: June 4, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Definitely there in ESB:

SilverZ

« Reply #141 on: June 4, 2004, 06:25 PM »
Well that certainly solves it.

Huh?  I don't see it.  I think I see the upper portion tucked in around his chest plate, as it should be, but I don't see anything on the figure beyond that...  That Hyperspace pic definitely shows the lower portion of the inner skirt piece though.

I was speaking about the inner robe around the chest plate, the part sculpted in plastic, not the soft goods bottom "skirt". I can't even make it out from the new Hasbro pic. BUT it's prominent in the Lee's mag pictures from before.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #142 on: June 8, 2004, 10:01 AM »

Wowza...what an awesome looking figure

Han Preview

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 8, 2004, 10:22 AM »
I've gone to look over those pictures at GH a couple of times today, and I think this figure looks great as well.  Being a Han fan, probably my favorite figure of all time.  I really wish these VOTC figures were released on normal cards, or at least somehow at the normal $5-6 pricepoint.  They have all been amazing so far from what we have seen.  I used to think the Commtech Han Solo was great (and it still is a good figure, aside from the re-releases), but it doesn't seem to be in the same ballpark as this new one.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: June 8, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Don't know if everyone has seen these pictures yet...

Hehehe

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 8, 2004, 10:57 AM by Nataku »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #145 on: June 8, 2004, 10:49 AM »
Thanks Scoop ;)

They look nice, the mysteries around 3PO remain however

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #146 on: June 8, 2004, 01:07 PM »
Yoda bugs the crap outta me...the green is way off and so are his eyes.  The softgoods and everything else look great but the head looks bad, bad, bad.  I can't understand why they haven't been able to nail him down

SilverZ

« Reply #147 on: June 8, 2004, 02:39 PM »
I used to think the Commtech Han Solo was great (and it still is a good figure, aside from the re-releases), but it doesn't seem to be in the same ballpark as this new one.

That's my thought on the figure too. Putting them side by side really shows how much of an improvement the new one is. The headsculpt smokes the Commtech version. I'm still iffy on the whole ballsocket head thing, however. It looks freakish from the side. I think I'll let it slide, though.  ;)

Love the soft goods on Yoda. I don't know what's up with the inability to nail down the ESB Yoda skin tone, either. Maybe they're shooting for PT consistency.  ::)

Hate the soft goods on Lando. It may be customization time with a POTJ Lando cape for this guy.

What's going on with 3PO? The shoulder sockets look so obvious, that I'm starting to worry that there's zero articulation below the waist since you can't see diddly.

Thanks for getting those wave 2 pics!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 8, 2004, 02:47 PM »
Yeah, thanks Jeff for the pics of the ESB VOTC figures.  I'm really looking forward to this whole line.  I do agree with what some others have said though.  Although I really do like this Yoda, and it looks like it could be the best of what they have released (soft goods looks really well done on this one), it doesn't seem like they've ever been able to quite "get" his face sculpt or color.  I always thought they could nail him, since "aliens" usually are easier for the toy companies to do.  Overall, it does look nice though...the green could be a bit lighter and that would help a lot.  I'm not a fan of the soft goods on this Lando either, the POTJ one seemed much better.  However, the sculpt does look pretty nice...with good articulation too.  3PO looks good, but it is tough to make out what his articulation is...and where it is.  Overall, all of these figures have seemed to have great sculpts so far, our only questions seem to mostly be with soft goods and/or articulation.  Hopefully we'll get another "figure spotlight" this week from Hasbro, they never did update with the carded version of Vader (as alluded to), but I guess they did only say "later", so that could be any time. ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #149 on: June 8, 2004, 03:06 PM »
Someone pointed this out at RS and I think it's right...the Flashback Yoda has the best modern Headsculpt to date...look at the color and eyes...I know its my personal favorite