Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63693 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: New Vintage Assortment
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2004, 07:04 PM »
I'll be getting two sets of these for sure. Fo' shizzle. Indeed.

I think I'll have to go the preorder route, just to be sure.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Vintage Style Figures from Hasbro???
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2004, 08:25 PM »
Well, we got our answer on who else is coming today, and it's real close to what most of us were predicting, with one notable exception:
and...  Han Solo again?!?  WTF?

Or perhaps not...  Adam May over at GH is reporting that the specific figures for the second two waves of ESB and ROTJ are not confirmed yet according to Hasbro reps at Toy Fair, and that the cardbacks we're seeing are only mock-up prototypes.  So therefore, that second Han from ROTJ may not be entirely accurate.  Hopefully we'll get a real nice, soft goods Ultimate Emperor figure in Han's place instead!  I'm pretty sure that the other 11 are solid though.

I've seen people on the net suggesting that perhaps a Stormtrooper might not be appropriate for this assortment due to it's popularity and this lines supposed limited release, and I'd definitely agree with that.  So let's hope for an Emperor in that ROTJ slot instead!   8)

They just better not screw with any of the other 11!

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: New Vintage Assortment of 12
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 09:33 PM »
Lets hope for a WICKET!

;)

I'm excited as hell about this line. Im going to be so flat on my ass broke this year, with what MR and GG are releasing...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 11:53 PM »
The possible "limited edition" status of this line is utter BS.

I just complained about this in the TF thread too, and this one little issue has me royally pissed off, to tell you the truth.  If these ARE Limited (In that they don't release these figures again on the standard line's cards), then Hasbro's done nothing but to make one big advancement to the modern line take about 2 HUGE steps backward.

Like I said at Galactic Hunter, can anyone say "Playmates Star Trek:TNG" with me?

MisterPL was giving me some hope that these super articulated sculpts will be reused, and I truly hope he's correct, but Hasbro's limiting things is a BAD sign overall.  Let us all hope for the best of course.

I was hoping the SA treatment wouldn't even end with these 12, and that we may see it become more widespread across the line as a whole.  I still hope for this.  For a Star Wars toy line that really "wows" you with every new figure.

I'm very curious to see/hear more news from Hasbro about all of this, nonetheless.  They've definitely got my attention right now.

I just hope I'm able to get plenty of these figures as I want them not only for my collection but customizing too.  They're just so great looking.  The Han is, as far as I can tell, perfect.

As for a 2nd Han, I almost wouldn't mind an apology Endor Han over an Emperor.  I see your point about an Emperor though too Matt, and would love both honestly.

Han though, that's a figure that really could stand the soft goods treatment I think, and super articulation given his role at Endor.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2004, 01:19 AM »
Um.  Wrong weekend to go away from a computer :-\

I keep reading the following phrase about the vintage assortment - ...based on the first 12 vintage figures so uh, wouldn't that mean the first 12 figures are being redone.  

Ergo...
all ANH or is this not necessarily the vintage assortment, rather the new ultimate SA 3 3/4 figs?

Color me confused, as per usual.  

Not that I don't like the lists, but I would be very dissappointed to not see a stormtrooper in this grouping.  

And a case of 8?  Huh, why?  That makes no sense for an ultimate assortment of 12 figures?  Are they really limited or will there be 16? Or 24? And how will they ship, i.e. what assortment per case?  Something incredibly annoying like 3 Leia's per case?  1 Vader?  I just don't see why with a run of 12 figures it isn't shipping in a case of 12, one per.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 01:47 AM »
I think 2x of each, maybe three different assortments, ala one for each flick. Makes sense to me, but I haven't had good sleep in two days.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2004, 02:43 AM »
I agree, it sounds like 2X in each wave.

And I think Jesse is right.  Hasbro absolutely does not want to start botiquing SW, and certainly not with what will likely be the last mass market push for OT maybe ever.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2004, 03:30 AM »
Um.  Wrong weekend to go away from a computer :-\

I keep reading the following phrase about the vintage assortment - ...based on the first 12 vintage figures so uh, wouldn't that mean the first 12 figures are being redone.

Where you been goofball?!  Did you read through the rest of this thread Brent, or are you just showing up casually late, and asking for all the answers so you don't have to read the prior page, eh?!   :-*

Yeah, 12 super articulated figures on repro vintage cards, but NOT the first 12 from the vintage line as many had speculated/hoped for.  But it'll probably be pretty close.  Read back on the prior page for what is the current list shown on Hasbro's mock up packaging for this line.  12 figures - 4 from each movie.  Though it looks like that's just their marketing strategy, since a third of the figures will be from all 3 movies.  Still, they'll be 4 apiece on each of the three different movie cards, whatever figures Hasbro chooses.

As for the case ratios and stuff, just some early info trickling out right now, so who knows what the final breakdowns will be.  But these will definitely run at a much higher price point though - most like $10, as has been stated all weekend in the news.  Tad pricey, but oh well...  They do look great!   8)

So, any other threads you'd like the Cliff Notes version of as well Brent?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2004, 09:21 AM »
Although we have only seen three (4 if you count Leia) of these figures so far, I can honestly say that I don't know if I have been quite this excited about upcoming figures for a long time.  If the rest of the lineup is as well done as Han and the others, it would be the type of thing where I'd say "if I could only buy one more set of figures, these would be it".  I really hope they aren't impossible to find.  To be honest, I got scared reading the "miss them and you're out of luck" statement over at GH.  I might end up preordering to be safe, but I would rather not have to do that.  Plus, the Mrs. (and myself for that matter) isn't too crazy about putting $90 on the credit card at once (and will be three times since they ship in waves).  At the same time, I don't want to miss the boat on these.  I hope at least Hasbro does realize that these are the types of figures we have always wanted, and will "re-release" these on the OTC cards or something.  If they're going to keep main characters on the shelves all the time, they just as well use these "ultimate" versions.  I hope we get to see some more of these in the near future.  I guess I don't have a problem with the pricepoint, since they are quite a bit spiffier...but this could be an expensive year.  I'm usually an opener only, but these figures would be nice to have one carded too.  At the same time, I couldn't just have a carded version because the figures themselves are so nice...you'd want to take them out.  Anyways...good things from Hasbro, really excited about this line.  I'm not sure about the vehicles yet or not either though.  I already have versions of all three, if the Falcon is significantly spiffier, I might think about it....although we really don't have the room :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2004, 10:24 AM »
Where you been goofball?!  Did you read through the rest of this thread Brent, or are you just showing up casually late, and asking for all the answers so you don't have to read the prior page, eh?!  

Naw, I was out on the West Coast so my thinking is all messed up.  A little tired too, so I did read it, just didn't comprehend much.

Yeah, 12 super articulated figures on repro vintage cards, but NOT the first 12 from the vintage line as many had speculated/hoped for.  
Ah, there you go.  I was stuck in speculation mode.  Pity too, they could have re-released a version of the stand as well.  That would have been cool.

I'll be very, very dissappointed without a stormtrooper, much more so than the Emperor, but that's just me.  Don't think two Hans are necessary though.  Sure, I like a second version as well, but not over another character on the whole.  

And yup, quite pricy, relatively speaking, but no worse than the Star Tours Droids and I'm much more excited about these figures.  

Feel free to put up a Coles notes version of anything you like.  I'll be sure to peruse.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2004, 02:58 PM »
MisterPL made a good point though.  If these ARE only shipping in minimal #'s, then I'd just as soon they DIDN'T tease us with a Stormtrooper.  To me, that would be the ultimate kick in the ding ding.

I'll be plenty pissed off enough if they make these truly limited figures.  It will be one of the single most craptacular things Hasbro ever did, seriously.  With the already heightened demand it would do nothing but take a big nasty dump on the hobby overall as far as I'm concerned.

These MUST reship on OTC cards, and reship a-plenty.
To do otherwise is to show you honestly DO NOT care about the life of this line I think, nor about your consumer base.

it would be the type of thing where I'd say "if I could only buy one more set of figures, these would be it".

I agree Mosnab.  These are, without a doubt, the best figures Hasbro's ever done judging by these early shots.  They're simply great looking figures that everyone's gonna clamor for.  Let's just hope for the best.

I too was worried after reading that statement of "miss em and you're out" at GH.com.  Very disconcerting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 04:20 PM »
Wow! I’m clearly in the minority here but, I truly find these figures to be completely and utterly hideous. IMO Hasbro just slammed another nail in the coffin of the 3 3/4" inch line with this latest attempt to “dress” our little plastic Star Wars guys. Good lord! Leave the cloth to the 12” figures. At least I get the opportunity to spend that $120 elsewhere. Thank “The Maker” for the non-vintage OTC basic assortment.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 04:30 PM »
Wow! I’m clearly in the minority here but, I truly find these figures to be completely and utterly hideous.

Wow, really Todd?  Is it mostly just the soft goods that are bothering you?  I can understand that a little, since I'm not a big propenent of them either, and they do look a little "clumpy" on these figures...

If it's just the soft goods, then do you like the Han at all, that comes without any soft goods?  Just curious if that's all your beef is with, or if it runs any deeper than that...

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2004, 09:57 PM »
Well I went ahead and placed a preorder at Entertainment Earth. Im definately NOT going to miss these, no matter what. These are going to be the only figures I buy, except for animated figures and exclusives (silver, or Celebration III)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline amarsella

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2004, 11:08 PM »
Well I went ahead and placed a preorder at Entertainment Earth. Im definately NOT going to miss these, no matter what. These are going to be the only figures I buy, except for animated figures and exclusives (silver, or Celebration III)

I just preordered a case as well, and I think I nay go this route open all waves if they are truly that HTF.

I was really happy to find out that EE is one town over from me so I can pick up my order when it comes in and skip paying shipping. More $$ for figs! woohoo
Put on your old fur coat, it's 1973