Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63702 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: OTC Vintage Wave 2 Images
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Well, shoot.  All I can say is wow.  Yoda, perfect.  3-PO, perfect.  Lando, perfect.  Vader, perfect.  

Still not buying them.  I'll wait for the repacks, and if they never come, shame on me.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Well, shoot.  All I can say is wow.  Yoda, perfect.  3-PO, perfect.  Lando, perfect.  Vader, perfect.  

Still not buying them.  I'll wait for the repacks, and if they never come, shame on me.

Not buying them?  eeeek!

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2004, 02:23 PM »
I hope you're right Darb, if something screams HOF assortment #2 its these 12 right here...don't think its going to happen though, I think they're a little too spendy pricepoint wise  for regular carded figs

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: March 1, 2004, 12:41 AM »
Being that the molds are tooled though, it would actually be more costly for Hasbro to limit production on them than to NOT limit it.  If they reissued them, they'd actually be increasing profits through unit sales and clearing the cost of the molds.

On SA figures, they're surprisngly more logical to make in greater #'s than not.  

I still hold that it's 99% the "limited" packaging.  Short-run packaging can really screw up pricing, especially when it's as elaborate as this stuff's supposed to be.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #49 on: March 1, 2004, 12:48 AM »
Yeah, I'm also hoping this limited idea is just limited packaging. These look like the greatest figures Hasbro has ever made for Star Wars, and they're going to milk them for all they're worth.

I might limit myself to one set of the VOTC. $10 a crack is pretty high, plus I'd feel bad for opening them.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 1, 2004, 03:39 PM »
DANG these look sweeeeet!  I'm about done with 3-3/4" but the whole thing is putting some serious doubt in my mind
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 1, 2004, 03:40 PM »
Thanks for the kudos, all.  The scans really don't do the Vader figure justice.  I'm going to have to do some photo analysis to determine just how much articulation this Darth Vader has.  It looks like the best one to come down the pike since the MOTDS sculpt, IMO.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 1, 2004, 10:23 PM »
I agree Nicklab, the MOTD Vader is a spectacular figure.  Looks like this one might be able to top it, especially with the looks of the real chain on the cape.  Wow.

I am upset though that there is to be a Stormtrooper; hopefully it's just the CT version with super articulation or something.

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: March 2, 2004, 12:25 AM »
I lightened the brightness up on it, and he's sporting a TON of articulation as far as I can tell.  As much as any SA figure from Hasbro I'd say.  

The chain is still tough to make out what it is though.  I'm very curious if it's a single plastic piece or a legit chain.  I have one to-scale and silver that I've wanted to use on an Ultimate Vader custom I had planned but this Vader puts that plan to rest for  sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Playgirl

• Jedi Initiate
  • Slice and DICE
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 2, 2004, 02:42 AM »
This is the only instance when a figure is worth 10 bucks. these figures rock the casbah if you get my drift.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #55 on: March 2, 2004, 10:05 AM »
Yeah, this is good stuff. Lando is going to need the extra POTJ cape I have lying around, but other than that...awesome. I can't wait to see more finalized images.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #56 on: March 2, 2004, 02:37 PM »
I wouldn't doubt that the cape's changed for the production figure.  That guy had some distinctly hand-painted work there, so I'm guessing he's not what a carded one will look like.  I'm holding out hope the cape's better as well.

I have an extra POTJ cape incase though, so no big whoop.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2004, 09:38 PM »
I don't think I am brave enough to try and wait for re-packaging.  I am going to order mine and if I end up with some that I overpaid for, oh well, it wouldn't be the first time.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2004, 10:45 AM »
GH has some new pics up of the OTC cards

SilverZ

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2004, 02:04 PM »
[keanu]Whoa.[keanu]

I was a little bummed seeing the first shots with Vader sitting atop the wrong background, but it looks like that first batch are just mocks. Once you scroll down and see the rest... fantastic!

The Dagobah Luke card is obscenely good. I like that you can see the ESB logo on the side of the bubble insert. Once we see the finished product I'm sure I'll be thrilled again. These are the best cards Hasbro has ever done. Period.

EDIT: Also noticed they've dropped the vintage-style character name from beneath the SW logo.

Isn't it about time to be seeing finished goods of the Dagobah wave and VOTC figs, though?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 02:19 PM by Tydirium »