Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 64128 times)

Offline wai

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #210 on: June 27, 2004, 11:17 AM »
Here is a few more information ;)

Name                      Points of Articulation
Han Solo                 14
Luke Skywalker       14
Obi-Wan Kenobi      10
Princess Leia           11

Darth Vader            12
Yoda                       10
Lando Calrissian     14
C-3PO                     14*

Chewbacca             ??
R2-D2                     ??
Boba Fett               ??
Stormtrooper          ??

* not confirm yet

Anyone know more?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 05:37 AM by wai »
www.starwars-force.com~~"The only Chinese starwars web site"

Offline Durge

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 27, 2004, 01:53 PM »

Obi-Wan Kenobi      10

They made Obi-Wan Kenobi look like an ass and he only has 10 points of articulation? bull****... >:(

SilverZ

« Reply #212 on: June 27, 2004, 04:54 PM »
Wow wai, 14 points of articulation on 3PO? I hope that's right, but it sure doesn't look like it from the pics that are circulating so far. If it's true, they've done an incredible job hiding the articulation points. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Still no images of the ROTJ wave anywhere?

Offline wai

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2004, 05:06 AM »
Wow wai, 14 points of articulation on 3PO? I hope that's right, but it sure doesn't look like it from the pics that are circulating so far. If it's true, they've done an incredible job hiding the articulation points. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Still no images of the ROTJ wave anywhere?

At least, VOTC has more than before any versions :D

Yeah,still waiting for any ROTJ images :P

SilverZ

« Reply #214 on: June 29, 2004, 07:56 PM »
VOTC Lando is up at Hasbro's site. This is a weird one for me because the only carded vintage figure I own at the moment is Lando.

I think he looks a lot better on the card than open, based on the pictures. I just don't like the SG cloak. Seems the bubble, holding it down, makes it look more natural.

And don’t forget to check back next week – we’ll shine some light on the vintage C-3P0.

So they're promising a preview of C3PO next week. Yes, Hasbro, please "shed some light" on the damn articulation, please.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 07:57 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 29, 2004, 09:42 PM »
The arm on Lando worries me, if it is not able to be moved out of that position, then it is just a POTJ version with a different sculpt.........

SilverZ

« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2004, 11:31 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit strange that they've gone for the Jedi Luke style articulation at the elbows instead of the ballsocket that VOTC Han has, unless it's really well hidden. At least either way it's not preposed in a two-arm gun cradle grip like the POTJ one. How come they got the soft goods down so perfectly on that one and missed the boat here?

So, if 3PO is next week, what are the odds we'll see ROTJ in the following week? I can't believe how low-visibility that entire wave has been. Also, does anyone have links to the scans from the magazine that previewed the Stormtrooper?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2004, 11:38 PM »

Not sure if they had any inside the mag that was different than this one

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #218 on: June 30, 2004, 12:39 AM »
The angle cuts on some of the VOTC figures are disappointing.

So much for "Ultimate" versions...  Close, but not quite.

Han's great though, and Yoda's about as good as Yoda can get I think...  

Lando's REALLY good except those elbow joints...  Ball/sockets are hidden better and allow a greater range of motion so that's a slight disappointment on him.  The cape I can stomach because of having extras of the POTJ to swap with.  

Leia I'm ok with except she appears to have the least articulation of all the figures I think, save perhaps Yoda.

Obi's legs are my biggest gripe...  Soft-goods skirt and his knees don't bend?  WTF is the deal there?  His odd looking arms would be a close second, but I can stand them.  The robe's puffy but I plan on seam-ripping a Pilot Obi robe and using it as a pattern to make my own Jedi robes from the material they used on Total Control Mace.

If you guys didn't get Mace, but have the opportunity to check one out, I highly recommend just checking out how great the softgoods are on it.  Simply perfect!

Luke...  I'm torn.  Part of me thinks the idea/concept is interesting, and with how many POTF2 ones of him there are, and the fact you can make an almost "perfect" Luke with thse bits and pieces...  I dunno, I kind of like this one then.  The head's a little off, the robe's puffy, but a removable belt is COOL, and the fact he may have the best "shirtless" custom fodder torso ever is intriguing...  I'm anxious to see how he looks without the cloak because he could be useless if his sculpt underneath is bad.

R2-D2, unless he's swiss-army R2, isn't going to be great...  Unless this figure can open at damn near every panel with every known gadget he had, and has articulated ankles, retractable 3rd leg, etc., etc., etc...  I just don't see this being a great one.  

3PO...  Same as above, but articulatin replaces the other stuff, and for some reason I'm thinking he's just going to pop apart to make an accurate "pull-apart" 3-PO...  Call me crazy I guess.  Or perhaps cynical is more the term.

Boba Fett...  Short of possibly the Stormtrooper, THIS is the figure that's going to be in demand I think.  Vader a maybe close 3rd, but Fett's going to dominate demand IMO.  They'd better not cut corners on this guy.  I want a side-arm, ROTJ paintjob, softgoods cape and wookiescalps, working holster, accurate blaster (if it pulled apart at the barrel, I'd simply worship this figure), and full use of ball/socket joints.  Hasbro could even go the extra mile and give the double-jointed torso to Fett and it'd look totally cool.  Here's to hoping.

Stormie...  Army builder = selling well, at any price.  I just hope he's not off-kilter as far as height goes next to the CT Stormie.  I'm updating all my CT Stormies with a hand/blaster kit and I'll happily line them up with these new guys.  The new guys will be the dominant ones in any diorama though, and I'd happily buy 100+ more of them if they look  good with the CT figure.

Vader...  The hottest with collectors behind Fett I think, because I know people who won't bother with VOTC who will still buy this and the last 2 figures just because.  Vader's chain's awkward, and he seemingly had some articulation skimming too if I recall.  Not total ball/socket joints!?   >:(  Vader with the double-jointed torso would've rocked too...  What's the big deal?  I'd have liked it.

Hell, Durge got the Double-jointed torso, yet some of these guys aren't?  Blah!  And Durge ranks, as weird as it sounds, as the #2 greatest Star Wars figure behind the CW Clone to me.  Durge is so heavily articulated it boggles the mind.  Makes me wish I was a kid again because I'd have Durge whipping the bejesus out of G.I. Joes as Cobra's newest "secret weapon" or merc.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #219 on: June 30, 2004, 03:07 AM »
Fett's hopefully going to be the defining moment for super articulated figures. Just about every articulation advancement of the last year or so applies perfectly to him. There's no reason he shouldn't have everything Durge has. I'm expecting ball socket head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, torso, knees, and ankles. It's all been done before and Fett can hide those points better than any figure. It's all about the torso pivot. If they cover all the details you listed, I'll be happy. And I'm assuming we'll get a ROTJ deco, ESB wouldn't make any sense in the wave.

They get him right and I'll pretty much forgive any minor slips elsewhere in VOTC.

The Stormie looks fine. I'm just concerned that it will have the same leg problem that the SA Clone has, and it'll be hard to pose with much movement at the hips.

Now, here's where I'm a little worried... Chewbacca. If you add up all the articulation on the last few Saga Chewies, there's a pretty good basic figure there. They've proven they can do the fur look right finally, hit good articulation even at the knees, and pull off a good sense of his proportions with the funky torso look and all. I guess he'll have the shorter haircut, but hey. What worries me is what dumb thing they'll try to pull to make him "special". I have nightmares of this:

Good god, now's not the time for experimentation.

I'm hoping they'll include a few ROTJ-specific accessories, namely the chain to go with Boushh - he'd be great to replace the original Captive version, but if they hold to a generic figure, we'll just see a bowcaster, which is fine I guess. Also what would be groovy is a removable bandolier and pouch. That would be the dog's bollocks.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2004, 03:36 AM »
Ah yes, I forgot Whewbacca the Cookie...

I'm seriously doubting the flocked idea comes to life.  I just can't see them trying something in 3.75" scale they gave up on in 12" scale, but Hasbro's not one to do the obvious (or logical) and thus they may totally F Chewie up since his character's often doomed to awkwardness.

Mech and BE were the only "good" versions of him IMO, but even then I'd say only Bespin Escape really embodied a good "generic" Chewie.

I think we'll get a removable bandoleir and oodles of articulation on a "Nude"-Bacca figure (sans bandoleir that is).

I'm assuming that...  No telling what may actually come.

I'm ok with the ROTJ hairstyle, if they go that route, only because I like Bespin Escape Bacca so much.  So ROTJ style's cool by me.  Hell, maybe they'll shock us with a removable collar from ROTJ?  Eh, nah...  But Boush's Bounty Chewie could use a redo given how long ago he came out!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline wai

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 30, 2004, 05:39 AM »
Update information :)

Name                      Points of Articulation
Han Solo                 14
Luke Skywalker       14
Obi-Wan Kenobi      10
Princess Leia           11

Darth Vader            12
Yoda                       10
Lando Calrissian     14
C-3PO                     14*

Chewbacca             ??
R2-D2                     ??
Boba Fett               ??
Stormtrooper          ??

* not confirm yet

Lando has 14 points.More than I thought,WOW :D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #222 on: June 30, 2004, 09:45 AM »
I'm sort of starting to agree with Jesse...looking back at the first 2-3 pages of this thread we were all super pumped about all of these.  Maybe its because the release is taking so long that we're finally to the point where were bored with them and are finding faults in what should be the Ultimates.

The elbow thing on Lando is baffling
C-3PO is a huge mystery (and he looks dirty)
Obi-Wan's Robe Sucks
Luke's Tunic sort of does too
Leia's mix of soft goods and plastic is a little baffling
The lack of ROTJ pics >:(
Vader's Noggin
Yoda's Color

Really the only Home Run of the bunch is Han and I am perfectly fine with the CTC Cantina Version of him.  I still think the idea is cool and the packaging is drool worthy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2004, 09:59 AM »
That's good news...why the Luke case didn't come out first is a little baffling though :-\