Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63993 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #330 on: July 26, 2004, 10:02 AM »
These look pretty good to me too, and I'm still really liking this line overall.  Too bad it sounds like its going to be as limited as we feared (judging from their answers to Matt's Q and A).  Aside from that, I do like the Chewie a lot.  I'm in the boat that would have liked the 2nd card photo, but this one is good too.  C-3PO's articulation is quite disappointing, but I will admit that the sculpt does look pretty spiffy.  R2 looks nice (really like the sculpting on this one), but I wish he would have been a little more "gadget-tastic" I guess.  Overall, a pretty good R2 though...they've had other good ones in the past, and other than more gadgets, or a pop up lightsaber (good version), I don't know if there is much more they can do with this figure.  Just get one great version and go with it.  The Stormtrooper and Fett both look amazing, and I wish these weren't $10 a pop so I could pick up several Stormies.  Other than the price, and a few minor quibbles, this line is something I have always wanted to get....well articulated, wonderfully sculpted versions of the "main" characters, packaged on vintage cardbacks.  Now if we can only find them ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 28, 2004, 01:54 PM »
I see that both CloudCity and Action-HQ have parts of the VOTC - Wave 2 in stock.  Looks like they have Luke, Vader, and Yoda (at around $20 a piece).  Hopefully this means they will start hitting retail before too terribly long too.

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 28, 2004, 10:57 PM »
I loved these figures before they even came out...the price was the killer for me and I don't think that $20 a pop is too fantastic either...I am happy with the $13 that I paid for each...some figures I open and some I do not, but this is truly one set that will stay closed no matter the wonderful articulation of each of the pieces...I am more appreciative of them now that I have the first 3 in hand!!! WOOOOOOOOHHHOOOOO!!!! That's all that I have to say...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 29, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Lord Vader has arrived. A detailed review with a plethora of pictures coming later today.

He looks great, but I cannot see an inner cape at this point. But, the way his cape is draped around him, I cannot tell.

More to come!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 30, 2004, 11:10 AM »
I am going to go broke Army building that Stormtrooper.

Can anybody tell if his head is on the ball post like some of the other VOTC?  I was thinking a Han Solo in VOTC Stormtrooper Custom would be easy to do.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 30, 2004, 08:30 PM »
I hate to double post, but this info seemed worth it...

I got the VOTC Luke today at KB and when I opened it, I noticed that he can do a very Jean Claude Van Damme-esque Splits.  

It appears his legs at the hips are able to "Spread".

A very cool piece of articulation that I don't think I've seen anybody mention.

Did Luke spend the entire first movie as a Mouthbreather?  Why do all renditions of him lately show his teeth?  Is he that bucky and I didn't notice?

Something else that is striking is the height difference between Luke and Han.  And Leia is even shorter than Luke.  It looks odd just because I guess I've never seen them done truly to scale before (if they are indeed more correct this time around)

I'll try to get some pics of Luke Van Damme , but somebody will have to tell me how to post them.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #336 on: July 30, 2004, 08:45 PM »
I've seen it blurbed a couple places, but it's good news (and maybe new to some) here Paul, so cool beans.

First Hasbro SW figure with ball/socket hips, ever.

Perhaps signs of a Biker Scout, Endor Luke, and Endor Leia to come?

One can dream, right?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 31, 2004, 10:08 AM »

I call this one Sumo-Luke

And for my pal Jesse (I couldn't find my speeder bikes so I had to substitute the Taun Taun)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 10:12 AM by pmundheim »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 2, 2004, 09:29 AM »
Nice pics of the Luke figure...thanks!  I don't know if it has been mentioned, but GalacticHunter has some "hi res" shots up of the VOTC ROTJ wave.  They look pretty cool to me, and very well articulated.  You can take a look at the pics HERE

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #339 on: August 2, 2004, 03:45 PM »
Stormie

13 points of articulation

The logo on here looks a little wonky

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 2, 2004, 04:44 PM »
It seems strange that every picture released, thus far, of VOTC Fett features him without a cape.  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 2, 2004, 06:03 PM »
That sucks. Should be an easy custom though. POTC Boba's cape should do the trick.

Anyway, here's a pic of my VOTC Vader:

The figure is really the best Vader so far. I may post a review sometime today/this week of him.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #342 on: August 2, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Great photos Paul.  Nice to see a figure with ball/socket hips.

Onto the Stormtrooper...  Some interesting text over yonder at Hasbro about the articulation.

His elbows aren't being described as ball/socket if I'm not mistaken.

Considered the best 3 ¾” stormtrooper ever, the new stormtrooper was created from scratch with incredible attention to achieving the right head proportions.

OK, good news there...  The head does look spot-on, and that shouold mean a hollowable helmet that'll fit well on lots of headsculpts I'd think.

With 13 total points of articulation, this stormtrooper has ball-sockets at the neck, shoulders, and waist. He has insert-molded elbow joints, knees, and ankles, in addition to standard articulation at the wrist and hips.

13 points?  Hmmm, interesting...  Super Articulated Clone has 14.  What's the Stormtrooper missing though?  The count seems to encompass all the Clone has.

-2 standard wrist
-2 ball/socket elbows (Hasbro lists "insert-molded", which is a new term to me.  I'm curious to see what this is, but till then we'll say ball/socket)
-2 ball/socket shoulder
-2 ball/socket ankle
-2 ball/socket knee
-2 standard hip
-1 ball/socket waist (assuming like the SA Clone's double-jointed torso)
-1 ball/socket neck

This is strange because that comes to 14, not 13, unless Hasbro's cut articulation on a wrist or something?  

Plus, some of the joints, in blown up photos, are clearly the same ball/socket joints (though they're using this new term of "insert-molded", whatever that means) used on VOTC Han, or the SA Clone.  Very strange wording there, and the totals aren't jiving to me.

Could it be the Stormtrooper's  NOT perfect, and that it's something less than the Clone?  Interesting...  

Definitely the best to-date, but I wonder what the deal is here now.  Hasbro's image isn't the swiftest either...  The figure looks like he's falling apart, so hopefully that's just not the final result, haha.

Anyway...

Stormtrooper comes with a standard issue blaster that fits in a holster.

I dunno about you guys, but the holster is a cool feature to me. :)  It works too, finally!  

I've heard a couple gripes that a ROTJ Stormie has a holster, but in actuality they did have them in many scenes, namely on the Death Star.  It was on Endor where they seemed to not have them as much, for whatever reason.  Production issue perhaps (different filming local...  Maybe forgot to have them on-hand or whatnot).

The holster rocks to me...  Was good news.

I'm curious on the articulation now however.   :-\  Wondering what we're gonna get in the end.  Blowing up the image from Hasbro, it looks just like ball/socket joints...  I'd hate for them to have gotten all creative  this figure, trying out some new "style" of articulation when they've mastered it on other figures.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and the SA Clone and VOTC Han sure as hell ain't broke.  That's perfect in my book!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 2, 2004, 10:23 PM »
ugh, the elbow joints on that stormtrooper look downright awful.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #344 on: August 2, 2004, 11:16 PM »
Yeah, that was what prompted my remark about the figure falling apart.  I feel certain this is not a final production shot, but still it's odd looking and kinda sloppy to put up for promotion.

Anyway...  Something I've noticed.

It says "wrist" articulation, not "wrists" plural.  Ugh...  Could this be where the missing 14th articulation point is?  That Hasbro would be so assinine as to have ONE wrist stuck?

That's extremely funny, if not extremely sad at the same time if it's the truth.  :)  I mean, if this truly is how the figure's done, and one wrist is stuck, tha'ts just absolutely incredible.  Really.