Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63688 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #345 on: August 3, 2004, 02:07 AM »
You're right Jesse, from that pic, it looks as if the left wrist has no articulation. That would suck MAJORLY if it's added to the final product. Here's hoping for 14 points!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #346 on: August 3, 2004, 02:42 AM »
I'd really not count n it at this point though Diddly.  :(  

This is something a lot will see as minor...  Another "RFT" type issue in a way.  Sure the figure's better than the last one.  No doubt.  The wrist thing is pissy of Hasbro though...  That does suck, and this figure's dropped in my eyes.  I now am looking more towards Fett and Vader I think, unless the arm articulation makes up for the wrists some.

To say I'm NOT disappointed would be a lie though.  $10, this figure should have both wrists done.  Excuseless.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #347 on: August 3, 2004, 03:18 AM »
For $10 all of these figures should have 14 POA.  There's no excuse whatsoever.  The 'more articulation than you can imagine' ad is false and the crap shoot method they're issuing these in doesn't do a lot to part me from my money.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 3, 2004, 08:47 AM »
I think the missing 14th point is probably waist articulation.  Look at all the pics available over at GH or in the couple magazines that have pics and the wrist looks articulated but the waist is one that I just can't tell.

I'd rather have 14 points like Han, but I can live with lost waist articulation more than I can tolerate only one wrist.  I'm still buying 15-20 of them either way.

This is the picture that makes me think both wrists are articulated:
http://www.galactichunter.com/photo.asp?image=absolutenm/articlefiles/3167-votc3_01.jpg

ok next time I'll read the whole text first, Hasbro says waist is articulated and they never lie......I still think that pic on GH makes it look like both wrists are articulated.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2004, 09:03 AM by pmundheim »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #349 on: August 3, 2004, 03:14 PM »
Yeah, the count on Hasbro listed a double-jointed waist though, which I assume's just the same as Deluxe Durge and SA Clone had as well as VOTC Luke seems to have.

It's so flush thugh, it sure doesn't look articulated, I agree.

Hmmm  

This is going to be interesting to see the figure in person.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2004, 03:15 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
VOTC Boba Fett
« Reply #350 on: August 3, 2004, 07:52 PM »

SilverZ

« Reply #351 on: August 3, 2004, 08:54 PM »
Reading Hasbro's description is pretty exciting. 18 points of articulation; what sounds like seperate hose pieces running to the guantlets, ball sockets all over the place, removable backpack - this may be the crown jewel.

What I don't get is his cape. It's not in any of their shots, wasn't at Comic Con, but they've confirmed it in the text today. At least it's happening.

Awesome, just awesome.

Also kinda curious is their comment about the card, which seems to elude to the idea that these are not reproductions of the original cardfronts, but recreations, since they mention source files for the card design. I always thought they were some direct repro from slides or something.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 3, 2004, 10:02 PM »
Boba = Best VOTC Figure?

It sure looks that way.  :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 3, 2004, 10:06 PM »
He looks great, he and the Stormtrooper I will be buying mulitples of.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #354 on: August 3, 2004, 10:37 PM »
I'm digging this Fett too, and after spending some time tonight fondling my CTC Stormtroopers, I'll be glad to get two openers and be happy with the army I have, the CTC still is one of the best figures of the line IMO

SilverZ

« Reply #355 on: August 4, 2004, 01:17 AM »
Yeah, same here. I figure I'll have a few "hero" stormtroopers in the army with what I can only imagine will be a small handfull of VOTC openers I can get my hands on (unless some freakish distribution windfall occurs). Just put 'em up front is the plan.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 4, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Nice to see another figure spotlight, it is nice hearing more about these figures.  Boba Fett looks pretty spiffy to me too, and from the sounds of things, should be everything that we were hoping for.  So, with 18 points, is this the most articulated Star Wars figure ever?  At least, in the 3 3/4" line?  I don't remember hearing of any figure having more, and Fett is a good one to "set the bar" with.  The VOTC line continues to impress, at least to me, and I kind of wish we'd get another wave or two of these.  Maybe after the ROTS hype dies down in 2006, Hasbro will go this route and release a few more "vintage style" figures.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #357 on: August 4, 2004, 02:02 PM »
I do believe it is the most articulated figure ever for Star Wars.  This actually even boarders  21st and BBI's level of articulation...  Though, there's one thing I think is misleading.  They seem to count the range-finder's moveable feature as an articulation point.  I personally wouldn't/won't when I wind up getting and reviewing the figure.

They seem to be stretching some things I think with this one...  SA Clone's pretty tough to beat in articulation count, so unless Fett's sporting extra joints I think they're fudging the books a little.

The Stormtrooper's still the biggest surprise.  I'm really anxious to see what's doing there.

Fett, to me, looks superb.  I wonder if they'd ever use the majority of that figure and do an ESB one then?  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  Hell, I'd buy an ARC if they cobbled that Fett with a SA Clone, and I'd buy a Jango if they reworked Boba a little.

THat sculpt could see reuse quite a few times I'd think.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 4, 2004, 04:10 PM »
That Chewie sounds really nice. Removable bandolier, three pose-points in the torso, the articulated ankles. The sculpt looks really nice as well, for a ROTJ Chewie it's really spot-on. 80s BonJovi hair and everything.

I'll definitely buy him.

Not so sure about Fett. It looks nice and posable, but the arms look wonky, maybe just too big or something. I'll have to see it in person to be sure, but it doesn't impress me too much right now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 4, 2004, 04:11 PM »
Thanks for posting that Scott...Hasbro is on a roll with the updates this week, but I'm not complaining.  This is a figure I'm really looking forward to.  Looks like it will accompany Han well, and I don't see any real problems with our favorite Wookiee here.  The articulation and sculpt both look great to me at least.  I don't know that they can improve on Chewie too much more, between this version and the Cloud City one from the Saga line.  Both look pretty good to me.