Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63680 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #360 on: August 4, 2004, 09:46 PM »
Best. Chewie. Ever. Looks like Hasbro has another winner.

Too bad he doesn't have ball jointed knees though.  :(

Fear not, Diddly:

He has pivoting thighs, ball-jointed knees, and standard articulation at his ankles and hips.

As for the separate bandolier, I did indeed assume it would have to be for the articulation to work. I suppose it could very well be a part of one of the three sections (if it were I'd guess the shoulders--but look at how it drapes over the left shoulder joint so well...) Matt is correct to point out it isn't listed as a separate accessory, though, and they did list Luke's shirt and belt as such so...

I'm holding out that it's removable. From nothing other than my own sheer willpower, if necessary.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 4, 2004, 09:58 PM »
Sweet! I was judging by the pic (Just skimmed through the describing paragraph), and it appeared as if he didn't have articulated knees.

As for the bandolier, I'm HOPING that it will be removeable, but I guess we'll have to wait until October to see....
« Last Edit: August 4, 2004, 09:58 PM by Diddly Squat »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 5, 2004, 12:01 PM »
Many of you may have already seen this, but I noticed that the Jedi Temple Archives visual guides have some pics up of the VOTC Yoda and Vader, providing some different views that we haven't seen before.  Looks like Vader's "chain" sure sticks out in that side view :).  Kind of digging the cloth on the Yoda, for the vintage/nostalgic aspect, but it does look slightly bulky too...but not too bad.  Anyways, you can check out the pics HERE under the "retro collection" section on the right hand side, at the top.  Really looking forward to these figures.
« Last Edit: August 5, 2004, 12:01 PM by mosnab »

SilverZ

« Reply #363 on: August 5, 2004, 02:43 PM »
Looks like Vader's "chain" sure sticks out in that side view :).

Whoa, that thing looks a little freakish. I'm sure it can be trained to hang better. I'm really impressed with how much flow and folding is happening with the cape in the rear view shot. Very nice.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 5, 2004, 03:07 PM »
Fear not, as mentioned in another thread, the chain will and does hang.

I must say I am a tad jealous of that ones cape. Wish mine would behave like that...
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 5, 2004, 03:32 PM »
Just saw that too, thanks for posting.  It sounds like he has a pop-up sensorscope and removable middle leg in addition to the other plug in gadgets.  Nice to see that make a return.  As I think someone said earlier, these ROTJ cards don't look quite the same as the originals.  I know that they aren't exactly copies, but I notice it in the logo.  Anyways, we've now seen them all, featured at Hasbro's site.  Too bad this line isn't going a wave or two further ;).
« Last Edit: August 5, 2004, 03:33 PM by mosnab »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 5, 2004, 03:36 PM »
R2 sounds pretty good, better than what we saw at SDCC. Sounds like he'll be an "Ultimate" R2, but I still think Bar2 will be superior.

BTW, is the VOTC R2 electronic? ???
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 5, 2004, 04:36 PM »
BTW, is the VOTC R2 electronic? ???

From the looks of it, I don't think so.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #368 on: August 5, 2004, 04:47 PM »

What's odd, is there's no mention of, or picture of, any pop-up (or add-on) scensorscope, though I'd assume that it has to be a part of this figure, since that's what's shown on the package, plus, it's one of R2's more important gadgets...

What's kinda lame is that he's on a ROTJ card, but the pic is from ESB.  Oh well...

I like the idea of the vac-metallized dome.  Definitely a wise move there.  The removable third leg is an interesting idea.  First time that's happened.  It's usually just retractable, though the lack of 100% retraction has always bugged me on prior R2 figures.  So maybe this will be the best of both worlds finally.

I hope the front panels, when in place, look seemless, and not like they've been stuck on there later to cover something up.  If they blend well with the rest of the body, and offer the additional feature of opening/being removed to put the various gadgets in place, this could really turn into a nice droid.  Doesn't mention if he's got the articulated ankle joints on his two legs, though I'd assume he must.  The lack of mention of any electronics though, I think it's safe to say, IS indicative of the fact that there are none.  Oh well...

Also surprised to hear Hasbro created this one from scratch, but that's perfectly cool with me!
« Last Edit: August 5, 2004, 04:53 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #369 on: August 5, 2004, 05:34 PM »
This actually sounds like a good figure! I was particularly worried about the middle leg being stuck extended all the time. Having it removeable does sound like a decent idea.

Matt, I think when they mentioned the retractable sensorscope, they were talking about the dome being the same design as the vintage R2 with extendable sensorscope.

The new Artoo directly replicates the original’s head-click mechanism with pop-up sensorscope

Its worded kind of oddly, but I don't think this figure has the sensorscope. Since I've seen no indication of a sensorscope, what I think Hasbro meant is...

"The new artoo directly replicates the head click mechanism of the vintage r2 (the one with the sensorscope)".
« Last Edit: August 5, 2004, 05:35 PM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #370 on: August 5, 2004, 06:35 PM »
The new Artoo directly replicates the original’s head-click mechanism with pop-up sensorscope

Whoops, I think I did indeed miss that particular part, Ed.  Duh!  Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like R2 will come with his trusty scensorscope after all...  Cool.

SilverZ

« Reply #371 on: August 5, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Hmmm, I still read that as indicating that it does come with the sensorscope, but it is worded quite poorly. I guess we won't really know until someone can crack one open. It sure would make sense to have it.

I'm actually fairly impressed with this guy, for being R2. I like the switchable panels best of all since that's a first. Being able to use him in a display in either three leg or two leg mode, with those panels open or closed, makes him seem like a pretty well-rounded figure.

Ten bucks cool? Round and round we can go on that.  8)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #372 on: August 5, 2004, 08:16 PM »
Hmmm...I may be the bearer of Bad news...

Dear Customer,
Thank you for your e-mail. We sincerely apologize for the
inconvenience. Unfortunately the vendor is no longer able supply us with wave 1. We would be happy to send you wave 2 instead as it has the same figures as wave 1 plus four more. Please let us know how you would like to
proceed.

Sincerely,
Lauren
Customer Service
StarWarsShop.com

I'm wondering if all e-tail is getting screwed???????? >:(

SilverZ

« Reply #373 on: August 5, 2004, 09:53 PM »
I've got a feeling they did. I just cancelled Waves 1 & 2 with EE since there's no sign of them, and regular OTC seems flowing to them - they got 2 new waves in stock today.

But since the casepack ratios went all stupid from Hasbro it's not that big of a loss, really. It's probably easier to track them down in stores at this point than deal with not enough of one figure and too many of another in the lame case breakdown.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 6, 2004, 01:04 PM »

I'm wondering if all e-tail is getting screwed???????? >:(

For me that wouldn't be an all bad thing.  I went with BBTS on this stuff because of better shipping to Canada.  Haven't seen anything yet, presumably because they were screwed on the Luke figure, like everyone else.  When they put up their next set of preorders (8 figures, then the last four plus an additional Vader and Lando) I ordered those too.  Having picked up Ben, Han and Leia locally, I was contemplating cancelling the first four figures but didn't, mostly because I have an order out there for Jim as well.  So maybe bad for Jim, but ok for me.  

It means I won't have to try and unload the extras (I only want two sets) and JuvyD picked me up the second Luke I was to need in the event the first round was cancelled.  Bad news, but for once, ordering too much crap may cover my butt.  Unlike owning 8 Saga Tie Pilots ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.