Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope  (Read 63682 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures
« Reply #420 on: August 23, 2004, 08:24 AM »
More than likely, those Han, Leia, and Ben figures will still be sitting around when Ep. III hits, and probably after that.

Or, I'm wrong, and everybody will go nuts over these in late September. Could happen. Not bloody likely, but it could happen.

That's something I was kind of wondering about too, if those initial figs (Han, Ben, Leia) would end up sitting around or not.  Checking the stores this weekend, it seems like...for some reason...that the VOTC sells out when it comes to TRU, but there are TONS of Han, Leia, and Obis hanging at Wal-Mart (which is basically right next to TRU in this particular instance).  Target usually has a couple Hans, and a couple Obis hanging, but not quite as bad as Wal-Mart.  Curious if these will start to sit, I guess if for some reason they get clearanced, its a good chance to pick more up.  Maybe the DVD push will help them sell more.  On the other side of things...I rarely see any regular OTC basic figures sitting, they are selling out wherever they show up...and selling out quickly.  Price point just might be the big sticking point on these for many people, and the "casual" collector.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #421 on: August 23, 2004, 09:10 AM »
I think Wal Mart at least from what I have read was the last to get them out on the pegs and as such was late to the game.

Good to hear I'll be getting both of my 2.5 cases, there is a lone VOTC C-3PO on eBay right now so we should be seeing those figures really soon

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 23, 2004, 11:11 AM »
Looks like the Vader is the one to have right now. No where to be found on the pegs.  Believe it or not 3 stores near me have had the same Lukes and Yodas for almost a week.  I wonder if the first 6 figs will be the peg warmers ???

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #423 on: August 23, 2004, 04:35 PM »
I'm sure Fett and Stormie won't warm any pegs. Chewie and R2 might, provided they even make it to retail. (I'm a bit worried about so many wave 1 figures everywhere...)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage OTC Figures - A New Hope
« Reply #424 on: August 25, 2004, 02:53 PM »
FYI -

Due to the size of this thread, I spun off two new threads for the ESB and RoTJ waves...

The vOTC ESB wave Thread

The vOTC RotJ wave Thread

Feel free to continue discussing the ANH vOTC figures or other random vOTC topics here, as JD.com is a place where there is no "Official Thread" for anything...  ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 25, 2004, 03:52 PM »
You know...just a random comment here, and may have been mentioned before, but I don't quite understand why the VOTC Obi-Wan comes with an "old style" saber, while the Luke has the newer one with the "burst" at the base of the blade.  I believe the Vader has the newer style as well on his saber, if I remember correctly from the pictures.  Just seems strange, and inconsistent to me.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #426 on: August 25, 2004, 03:58 PM »
  Just seems strange, and inconsistent to me.

What?  Hasbro did something that's strange and inconsistent?   
That's not at all like them...

:P

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 25, 2004, 04:01 PM »
Yes.....shocking, indeed. ;)  At least its not like they short pack army building figures, or limit the release of popular items....oh wait. ::)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 7, 2004, 01:55 PM »
Made a somewhat decent toy run this weekend (2 Targets, 2 Wal-Marts, TRU, KB), but didn't find anything new.  However, every store (except KB, which has nothing but old Saga figures) has several of the VOTC Hans.  Maybe its just because he's my favorite character (and figure), but I find it kind of sad that he is the obvious pegwarmer of the series.  It is a tremendous figure, and likeness, and probably the best Han we've ever seen....but at the stores I was at, he was the majority of the figures they had.  For example:

Toys R Us: Saga basic figures, no basic OTC figures, 5 VOTC figures - All Hans
Wal-Mart (1): No basic OTC figures, 2 Saga figures (Hoth Han), 10-15 VOTC figures - 3-4 Leias, probably 6 or so each of Obi-Wan and Han
Wal-Mart (2): No basic OTC figures (sold out), a TON of VOTC figures - a few Leias, probably 10 or more each of Luke, Han, and Obi-Wan
Target (1): 1 Basic OTC figure (Spirit Obi), 10 or so VOTC figures - 4 Obi-Wan, 6 Han
Target (2): Probably a case or so of OTC figures (Dagobah Luke, Boba Fett, Stormtrooper, Greedo, and Spirit Obi if I remember right), 5 or so VOTC figures - all Han

Anyways, just a sampling, but although I was happy to get it right away, I probably could have held off on picking up 2 VOTC Han Solos.  I could easily find them around town now, and there is probably a chance they'll go on clearance.  Its too bad really, for a great figure.  Then again, getting them at clearance prices would be nice, even though I already have two.  Its not just Han that is hanging around, I could have bought 5 or more of each of the ANH figures this weekend...but Han is just the worst offender.  I don't know that we will see this with the other waves (no signs of them around here).  I think the ANH wave might be the most "boring" to casual buyers and/or kids.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #429 on: September 7, 2004, 02:08 PM »
Han is making a case for Pegwarmer of the Year right now, especially since he is shipping a bunch more...AND he's available for $5 right next to the $10 version...

He'll be on clearance come January

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 7, 2004, 02:11 PM »
Which still boggles the mind since he rules the ANH collection in every sense of the word...
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

SilverZ

« Reply #431 on: September 7, 2004, 04:13 PM »
Han is making a case for Pegwarmer of the Year right now, especially since he is shipping a bunch more...AND he's available for $5 right next to the $10 version...

Interesting, he's certainly not pegwarming here. He's more like, "available". He lingers longer than the other ANH figures, but most stores still sell through those within a week, and that's not too bad considering he's been shipped in far more abundance than any of the other VOTC.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #432 on: September 7, 2004, 04:15 PM »
There are at least 5 at most stores I go to, some have more, Ben is #2 by far, the others though sell really fast

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 7, 2004, 09:19 PM »
That is consistent with what I saw at the North Dakota stores.  The supertarget had no less than 12 Han and nada else.  Ben ranked number two.  I did see a few Leia, an occasional Luke, a couple of Yoda and one Vader who happily rests not 5 feet from me.

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.