Author Topic: Question on Variation Number for Saga Figs  (Read 2475 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Question on Variation Number for Saga Figs
« on: February 17, 2003, 10:35 PM »
Where is it?  On Episode 1 figures, POTF, POTJ, there's a variation number on the bottom-back of the card like .00, .01, .02 and so forth.  On the Saga cards there's nothing like that anywhere on them.

Is there something I'm missing here???

???    ???    ???
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re:Question on Variation Number for Saga Figs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Our Canadian cards don't have those numbers.
I checked a few of my US cards & I can't find any of the numbers on them.
Could it be that Hasbro is saving money on ink.  ;D

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2003, 11:16 AM »
As far as I know, Hasbro has basically deleted the serial number as a way to distinguish a change or variant. No idea why, especially with the amount of variants in the AOTC/Saga line so far. Maybe they just decided to cut it out of the production process. It probably costs quite a bit to print new cards for a serial number change and didn't make sense. Stickering them would create some 'fakes' and they do not want that at all. I've been told that Hasbro does not acknowledge or document the variants and/or changes for public knowledge, so there's no telling and would be difficult to find out. They obviously either have a lot of mistakes and/or do not think things through and/or are consciously creating all these to pump up sales and create a demand for buying more than 1 of a specific figure (outside of army building figs). I'll do some research on it and respond with what I find soon.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 12:57 AM »
The serial number no longer exists. I guess Hasbro is tired of trying to keep track of all the current variants we're seeing. The only way to tell the difference between figure versions is by the differences in the figure or card or even bubble, tape and/or wire. The PN numbering system seems a bit strange too. They list one on the bottom of the bubble and one on the back of the card. Both of these numbers are different but on the same figure and they are this way on every variant (i.e. I compared my Bloody Luke, metal peg Luke & fleshy peg Luke and my Luminara with 'removable cloak' text, with 'removable' covered, with both covered and the reprinted insert with it deleted). For someone who composes checklists, this is definitely a bummer. But, it's the way it is. If I find anything further, I'll let everyone know.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 01:01 AM »
I find it all very annoying.  The numbering scheme they had with all the previous figs was working out just fine IMHO.  With all the money Hasbro is making, you think they could just keep the variation number going on the new figs.

>:(
dustrho

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 12:52 PM »
I agree. It also makes defining what you have easier to do. While it isn't too hard to tell the difference between a bearded Endor Rebel Soldier and a clean shaven one, it gets a little more fuzzy when we are dealing with the Imperial Officer or Rebel Trooper head sculpts. I also think Hasbro should be more specific about the variants they have released instead of abandoning them like a bad step child. They basically have never released a comprehensive guide to all of their known variants and left that to the collectors. Well we all know collectors (because we are them)... We try and find any possible difference and declare it an error. The misinformation on  a lot of ebay auctions is really bad. People get suckered. Hasbro owes it to us to give us a checklist that spans the history of all Star Wars releases (Kenner years too since they took it over). This is my take, maybe we should start a petition to motivate Hasbro to catalogue everything for us serious collectors. It's the least they could do. Maybe they will when the entire Saga has been told and there ar no more figures to produce, or not enough demand. Let's hope that is a long, long time from now!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 01:41 PM »
There's a great price guide on Rebelscum's website (http://www.rebelscum.com/wedge/priceguide.asp), but there aren't any pictures of the variations.  It would be nice to see actual pictures of EVERY variation of EVERY figure that's ever been produced (by Kenner or Hasbro).  Starwars.com's website isn't too bad with pictures, but they don't have pictures for many of their variants.  It would be a dream come true if there were one single site that had every picture of every variation of anything Star Wars related.

dustrho

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 11:22 AM »
The best variant guide I've seen so far is from Lee's Toy Review magazine. They had an insert guide on AOTC a while back and they covered most of them and with photos. Those they did not have in there, I sent them pictures of and I hope they update it in the future.

Hasbro and/or Star Wars.com (Lucasfilms) won't even acknowledge variants or errors other than what I read early on from Hasbro in a Toy Fare. They did not exactly say the variants were important, they basically explained why they had chosen to make the changes they did.

I still think the catalogue of these variants and/or known erros should come from the source. I'm sure they could do it, it's just motivating the powers that be to do it.