Author Topic: NEW JD.com Review: Lando Calrissian (Jabba's Sailbarge)  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
NEW JD.com Review: Lando Calrissian (Jabba's Sailbarge)
« on: August 20, 2004, 09:39 PM »

The tail-end waves of the Saga line really were some obscure characters, some good new figures, and many much needed resculpts.  Lando alone got two, and his first was the Skiff Guard version of him.

Much needed?  Many debated that notion, but after seeing the new one it's tough to dispute that he needed it.

JediDefender.com and myself are proud to present the latest figure review of Lando Calrissian (Jabba's Sailbarge).

A good figure overall, and a great one to review, so Click Right Here to read the full review!  And of course, as always, share your thoughts here as well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: NEW JD.com Review: Lando Calrissian (Jabba's Sailbarge)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 02:36 PM »
Excellent review, Jesse!

I agree wholeheartedly. That figure is awesome. I'm working on a Jabba's Palace diorama, and I keep using Skiff Guard Lando for scale. Every time I pick it up I think about what a great figure it is.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 05:49 PM »
Thanks man,

I agree, the scale's perfect too.  I remember when I was working on increasing plans for something that I used a CT Stormtrooper because it's so well sized too. 

There's a few figures that work well for that, and this Lando would be an ideal one given his very neutral stance.  His articulation's pretty great too in the arms (rare that I praise the angle articulation over ball/sockets), so he can be action posed too.

Short of some leg articulation, he's great.  Knee hinges, or ball/sockets at the knees/feet,  for when he's hanging off the skiff would've been neat, but it wasn't to be.  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 07:57 PM »
Great review...again :). In my review of him, the things that bugged me a little were the same as you have put, flimsy plastic and no leg articulation.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 11:48 PM »
Yeah, as much as I hate to have something to dump on Lando, which is a great figure, those two things were (I felt) legit gripes.

As great a figure as it is, Lando was pretty action-packed in the costume so I'd like to see a better articulated leg region.  At least ball/socket knees, though knees/ankles (at this stage of the Star Wars line) are worthy I feel.

The flimsy weapon was, without a doubt, the most  noticeable and immediate detractor on the figure.  The pike mine came with was bent in the packaging and I knew this was a bad thing coming. :(

The leg articulation's more a thing that, after playing around with Lando, I finally thought that he'd be neat to pose like he's trying to pull himself out of the Sarlacc and stuff.  :)

That pike sucks though.  Great sculpt, craptacular plastic though.  :(

Offline Mike16

• Youngling
  • As you wish...
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 04:45 AM »
Yeah, my pike was kinda bent aswell. Its not that bad but still a pain. Doesn't really make sense when figures in the same wave had finely sculpted weapons.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 02:43 PM »
I replaced the shaft portion of my Amanaman's staff with a bamboo skewer which was pretty much spot on for width. I think I might try to find something similar to replace the shaft of Lando's vibropike. Man, that sounds dirty.

And I never thought I'd put "Shaft" and "Lando" in the same sentence without talking about blaxploitation flicks.  8)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 04:41 PM »
I'm content enough with the staff because it straightened out and all...  Looks ok so long as I pose him holding it right.

Amanaman's staff I've wanted to do something with though...  Definitely NEEDS redone due to the weight of the skulls and stuff.

I'm wanting to try a cast of it in something more rigid though first.  See if I can't acheive myself what Hasbro was incapable of doing.