Author Topic: The "Space" Issue  (Read 6921 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
The "Space" Issue
« on: August 24, 2004, 10:55 AM »
While reading a number of posts and threads from a number of different forum members (myself included), it seems that space is becoming more and more of an issue for those of us who collect the various Star Wars (and other franchise/toy) lines.  I know since we've moved, and I've packed/unpacked and tried to figure out how I'd like to display things, space is something that has got me thinking more and more about my collection.  I was wondering if any of you are having space issues, what you are doing about it, or what thoughts you have had about it.  I know personally, it has forced me to really take a hard look at my collecting, and decide what I really want/think I need.  The combination of space, money, and a few other issues has brought me to the conclusion that I will likely be scaling back any "other" collections, and focus primarily on Star Wars.  Although I do enjoy other lines as well, and would really like to collect them, I just don't know if it is possible...or even logical for me to do so.  Aside from a few LOTR figures I'd still like to pick up eventually, and possibly a Spider-Man figure here or there, I think its going to be Star Wars and only Star Wars from here on out.  We all know there is more than enough of that to collect by itself!  Anyways, back to the main issue, has space become a big problem for you (or is it heading that way)...do you have a plan of action for it, or has it helped/caused you to re-assess your collection and/or display?  I'd be curious to see what some of you are considering.  It is tough to give up some of the other lines I'd like to collect, but at the same time I know it is probably the right thing to do.  Keeping a "tally" this year of what I have spent on collectibles doesn't help the matter any either ;)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: The "Space" Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 11:12 AM »
The Space issue is simply solved by one of two things for me:

1) Do I have room for another shelf?

2) Can I rotate this with other things for display?

That's just how I work it baby.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 11:19 AM »
Yeah, actually, that's another option I wanted to mention in my original post but forgot.....do you "rotate" stuff out, do you have things in storage, things of that nature.  Also, do you mind that you have to have things stored away...or would you rather have them displayed?  Does the fact that you have to use storage bother you, etc.?  I know I have a few things that are left in rubbermaid tubs for now (vintage stuff and misc. larger stuff, a couple of ships), I'd like to figure out a way to get it all displayed.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 11:59 AM »
My room is going to be hitting capacity in the next year or two...  I've already gotten rid of anything non-star wars.  I may have to start hanging carded figures from the cieling when episode III hits - especially since the new cards don't look like they'll overlap at all.  (I've always hung carded figures in rows, overlapping the cards so the bubbles touch.)

My next house will have a bigger room.  It will be a requirement when I'm shopping around.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 12:20 PM »
Well, the first casualty of collecting for me was my carded collection.  I still think that in many (a majority?) of cases, carded figures look better than loose figures (Unleashed being a strong exception).  But storage wise/display wise it simply became impractical for me to do so.  So I started opening a bunch of stuff.  My cinema scenes remain closed and probably will.  Basically if I can stack it, it stays in.  If it has to be hung, forget it.  There are exceptions to that, numerous htf Freeze Frames, late Ep I stuff, TFV, Sacul, Theater Luke and possibly some early orange carded figs for nostaligia. 

Rotation?  No, not really, too much like work.  I am at capacity in my room right now, with 11-12 large tubs full of toys.  But I refuse to put up more shelves, simply because we may be moving soon and essentially that stuff is already packed from my point of view.  It's going to be a major pain to pack up everything that is already out. 

Downsizing is underway.  As mentioned elsewhere I'm selling off my goalies in a rather substantial fashion.  A guy I've traded with over at spawn.com (meatgoat) makes a lot of sense.  He opens everything, even his third jersey Roy :o.  We talked a fair bit by email about collections and he decided, mostly because of space issues, that if he wanted something, he would open it, end of story.  I'm not quite there, but getting closer. 

Selectivity.  During my tenure at this board my selectivity went broad scale, and now is rapidly going the other way.  Like Brian, first and foremost is star wars.  Everything else is secondary.  One of the few lines I did "right" was the Simpsons WOS stuff.  Only Homers, with a few exceptions, mostly due to Scott forcing some stuff on me :P.  But it remains a compact collection and easy to manage.  Plus the focus makes it look really cool.  McFarlane stuff outside of sportspicks have been selective too.  Only predator figures for the most part.  LOTR is staying relatively in focus, though that is one area that could easily spiral out of control.  Fortunately I delayed long enough that loose stuff is already relatively cheap to obtain, so I am ahead in that way. 

Quality.  I love the 3 3/4 line, it really is the focus of my collection and my favorite stuff.  Opening it allows for displaying more stuff.  But aside from the figures, I'm trying to be more selective and have less of some things (says mr. 5 tie fighters ::))  Towards that end, I'm trying to obtain more quality stuff and stay away from lower end stuff.  Stay away from smaller cheaper stuff and get busts or MR stuff.  BTW, I am failing at this aspect miserably. 

The ultimate solution:  Buy a house with an unfinished basement and finish the basement.  My room will be down there, no doubt about it.  The trick is to take it from it's current dimensions to something large.  9ft x 10 ft up to say about 15 x20 ;D  Collection too big?  Buy a house.  Perfectly reasonable solution.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 01:13 PM »
 :) Hopefully I'll be getting an apartment with friends after I got a job. Of corse with a job comes responsability...and with great responsability comes great power....the power to display toys!

Kevin

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 01:17 PM »
No, with moving out come all sorts of horrible realizations.  For example, toilet paper costs money.  No one told me that. :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 01:20 PM »
No, with moving out come all sorts of horrible realizations.  For example, toilet paper costs money.  No one told me that. :-*

ROFL! Thats hillarious!

I know pretty much every usable leaf if I run out of money ;).

Kevin

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 01:29 PM »

The ultimate solution:  Buy a house with an unfinished basement and finish the basement.  My room will be down there, no doubt about it.  The trick is to take it from it's current dimensions to something large.  9ft x 10 ft up to say about 15 x20 ;D  Collection too big?  Buy a house.  Perfectly reasonable solution.

A major selling point when we bought our house.  I could look past the work that needed to be done (and there was a lot of it, a classic case of a fixer upper), but I always kept my eye on the prize - a finished basement all to myself to do with as I please.  Hopefully, and I say this with a grain of salt, I'll have enough room to display everything.  I honestly won't know how much **** I have until it's all unpacked and displayed.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 03:10 PM »
Space has been an issue for over a year now.  I'm moving in the near future, and I think I'll use the opportunity to thin the herd some.  Like a lot.  My collection just spills over everywhere and even I don't like that anymore.  Sigh.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 05:07 PM »
I'm moving on Labor Day weekend, and I never realized how big a pain in the ass moving all this **** is.

At least I'll have most of my collection out of the basement, so that's a good thing. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 06:37 PM »
I was making some headway this summer with organizing, removing, selling off, and basically getting things in order.  At this point I'm bogged down and school just started today but I'm wanting to keep at the idea of building some shelves.  I have a nice idea of a shelving unit/entertainment stand combo...  I want to get my work bench built as well...

Lots of projects, and no time.  Not a good prognosis, but perhaps I can speed things along.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 07:42 PM »
Oh sh!t space is going to be an issue for me in the next few months. See our offer was just excepted on a new house and my room is going to be much smaller.
However, there are other free rooms so I suppose it'll work out fine.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 08:52 PM »
my current collecting philosophy is to display everything i own. i don't believe in rotating the collection, except when it's done in sections (more on this later). the star wars collection has certainly grown out of hand in recent years, mostly the last 2 that i've been living on my own. with no wife around to bitch at me when i bring new **** in the door nowadays, i have nothing to stop me  :D. the non-star wars collection has been downsized recently, basically discarding 90% of what i had. mostly for space reasons, but monetary ones also came into play. presently, my purchasing decisions are something like this:

1) new item comes out - do i want it? usually, yes  ;D go to question 2.

2) do i have space for it? 50/50 shot. actually, more like 80/20 (no/yes  :-\ ). if yes, then go to question 3. if no, then go to question 4.

3) can i afford it? this is the single most important question, even over and above the space issue. this question mostly comes into play with the higher ticket items - attakus statues, master replicas, etc.

4) can i make space for it? this involves many a decision. i take a look around, and see which "section" it belongs in. in other words, i have a section for loose figures, a section for carded figures, a section for model kits/statues, a section for lego - you get the picture. if there is no space left in that section, i may need to find a new spot for this particualy section of my collection with more space, and move a section that does not have as many items in it to this space. the biggest culprit of this? unleashed. i love those things, but they are so damn big. they have been moved at least 6 times already, and with the newest wave hitting now, it looks like they are gonna be on the move again. if space is available to be made should the need arise, jump back to question 3. otherwise, go to question 5.

5) do i really want it? this question has to get asked again for any item over $100 or so, since i do suffer from buyer's remorse on occasions. and don't even get me started on impulse ebay items that are ending too fast for me to go through my list of questions  :-\

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 10:52 PM »
Space is not an issue for me. Do I have a lot of space? Nope. ;) Right now, my entire LOTR United Cultery collection is still packaged, everything stacked on my couch. No space to properly display them all, but Im not missing out on them for when I may potentially have space ;)
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."