Author Topic: 2 Planes Disappear Over Russia  (Read 1607 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2 Planes Disappear Over Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 07:58 PM »
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on this developing story for the past 40 minutes.  I find it very interesting that two separate Russian jet liners in two different areas crashed/disappeared within minutes of eachother.

Looks pretty damned suspicious if ya' asked me.  Either that, or the world's unluckiest coincidence.   :-\
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 07:59 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 08:01 PM »
I'd say this was the work of Chechyans (spelling...) quite possibly. Very unfortunate though, especially since these were passenger jets.

Fun fact: Tupolev-134 was heading for old Stalingrad.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 08:17 PM »
The Chechen presidential elections are Sunday...  I can't imagine this is any strange coincidence.  That area overall's been one of the bloodiest messes in the world since Communism's collapse.

MERC forces have run rampant in fallen and splintered Russian provinces...  It's really terrible.  The terrorism has been out of control too, and really Russia doesn't have the financial ability to even maintain a status quo, much less effectively combat it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 11:27 PM »
I feel just like alot of you guys here, that it is suspicious.  Hopefully they find out what happen to these planes and find out who is responsible. 

Revenge

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 12:20 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

How in the hell did that happen?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 02:30 AM »
Yep, sounds like terrorists alright (or at least hijackers)...  From CNN.com:

The Russian news agency Interfax is reporting that the second airliner transmitted a "hijack" alert before it went down.

I've also heard reports that at least one of the planes was witnessed blowing up in the sky, well before it hit the ground...

>:(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 02:35 AM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 08:18 AM »
Been following this all night too. As of now, both flight data recorders have been found so hopefully they will have some clues as to what happened.

Investigators probe Russia crashes

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 07:09 PM »
After several days of suggesting there didn't seem to be any foul play involved, it looks like Russian officials have finally found traces of bomb evidence.  Foul play indeed.

As horrible a thing as this is, is it bad of me to feel just a little tiny bit relieved that this has happened to another country, so that it doesn't just feel like it's us (the U.S.) who these terrorists are out to get?   :-[  At this point, it seems like the whole world is getting a little tired of us, and might be thinking we get what we deserve, but if the terrorism continues to affect other countries and areas of the world, this horrible issue won't be construed as just an American problem.  It's in that respect that I'm glad to see this happen elsewhere, so it will keep this problem on more of a global scale, where everyone realizes it's a problem and everyone needs to deal with it and protect their respective countries from it.

Condolences to all the Russian victims and families involved though.  A true tragedy.