Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - The Empire Strikes Back  (Read 13315 times)

SilverZ

Re: Vintage OTC Figures - The Empire Strikes Back
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2004, 09:41 PM »
Just picked up Lando and 3PO today.
I tried to find a 3PO that had his eyes painted straight.  I picked up the one that had the best eyes of the two, but alas, they're still a little awkward.

I have a similar issue with mine. Funny that both mine have the same painting problem - a lazy left eye with a dilated pupil.

I have to say I am extremely disappointed with the 3P0 figure even if it were to have perfect paint apps. Like others have mentioned, the head looks wrong, and I really don't like the zombie-like pose he's in. It really fails to capture the look of 3P0 (that I think both the Saga Deluxe and old MMC one do so well, in fact). For 10 bucks, it just plain sucks. I'd be more forgiving if it was articulated better. I thought the vac-metallizing process was expensive, but at this pricepoint I figured we'd finally get one that could go through the process with more moving parts.

Maybe the dream becomes a 3-3/4" die-cast 3P0 to get what I want.

I do love Lando, though. What a pleasant surprise from a figure I had no initial interest in. He's cool!  :)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2004, 10:07 PM »
I'm impressed with the VOTC Lando, but they could've really nailed the perfect figure if they'd only given him decent arm articulation. The 45-degree cuts at the elbow really serve no purpose if the arms won't straighten any which way you turn them.

There's no reason he wasn't made to the same specs as Han, so in that I'm disappointed. His cape is a real improvement from the POTJ version, it lost all the bulk so it hangs much nicer. It's still not removable, but that doesn't seem to be what VOTC is about (<gulp>Chewie<gulp>).

And his legs are right up there with Han's, if not better because there's no distracting holster hanging all funny lookin'. Lando's shoes are just incredibly detailed.

(On a side note, why is it that now that I have super poseable versions of these guys, I find myself putting them in the wildest of poses, the likes of which put Hasbro's worst posing offenses to shame?)

Online Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2004, 10:13 AM »
I think I'm going to have to get 2 Landos. I to keep the cape on, and another to remove the cape.

Its a shame that 3PO figure isn't very good. Can he be straightened out a little more than we see on the GH side pics? Threepio always kind of stands up super straight in the movies...almost to the point where his torso is leaning back. Can this one be posed like that?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2004, 02:42 PM »
Nothing much new to share, but was just reading a review of the VOTC Lando figure over at Star Wars Action Figure Reviews, and I just thought this picture was kind of cool...and thought I'd share :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2004, 04:02 AM »
That is indeed cool Mosnab, and embodies everything GREAT about super poseable figures.  They're the future, and Hasbro needs to get on the wagon in that regard.

I got Lando and Yoda the other day...  Yoda's cooler than people are giving him credit for, however Lando's a highlight figure.

His elbows are annoying as all get out, but beyond that minor flub on Hasbro's part (why no ball/socket elbows?  Simple, and much more poseable than angle-cuts), Lando is pretty much on par with Leia to me (who I also like) and I'd say he's even just a notch below Han.  To me, Luke and Ben have been the only disappointments, but Lando, Han, and Leia are truly incredible work, even if 2 of those 3 aren't "perfect".  Yoda's cool too...  They just goofed on him some, namely that his coat's a bit big, and his belt doesn't go around it which makes the figure 100% inaccurate unfortunately.  I'm trying to see if there's a way to remedy that, however his belt's pretty snug on his waist UNDER the coat, so short of making a new belt all together, it seems unlikely to be a simple fix.

Lando though was great...  Mine's a little loose in the waist articulation for some reason, but I hear others are too.  Poor effect of a bad tooling or assembly/construction job pre-tooling, and it'll likely not be fixed.  Similar thing happened to Djas Puhr actually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2004, 01:49 AM »
My buddy Bill got me Vader...

Incredible figure except.......

I hate his elbows.  Why not do the ball/socket elbow on him ya know?  Make him perfect...  It's a shame because it's the one major glaring flaw to Vader, in that his arms are not stiff because of the joint style, and the limitations on poses is horrible due to the many action scenes Vader is in.  :(

More minor flaws are his lack of ankle joints (meh), and the chain thing, while neat in concept, looks bad in practice.  It's not horrid though, and really his arms are the only thing that bug me.  He's still, hands down, the best Vader ever...  He's customizable as well I think...  That means a second one's a must for me!  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2004, 11:09 AM »
WalMart.com has the ESB Wave in Stock
Lando
C-3PO
Vader
Yoda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2004, 12:03 PM »
Gee, I wonder if I said BBTS.com was going to get screwed by Hasbro?

Hi - I put an inquiry in with Hasbro about the delay on the case of Star Wars figures you had ordered with us (Vintage Set of first 8 figures)  My sales rep at Hasbro has informed me that this case assortment unfortunately was sold out and he was unable to fill orders for any of his accounts including BBTS.  I'm very sorry for this problem and BBTS will no longer be posting pre-orders for any of the vintage style figures due to continued supply problems from Hasbro.

I do have some good news however, Hasbro was able to ship a newer wave of vintage figures to us and it will be arriving tomorrow and we can send you this wave instead if you'd like.   This new case of figures includes the following:

1 x Darth Vader
1 x Lando
2 x Stormtrooper
1 x Chewbacca
1 x R2D2
2 x Boba Fett

*** If you'd like to make the substitution and receive this new case for the same pre-order price of $84.99 + shipping - Please email me back stating you'd like to receive the new case by Friday 10/1 if possible  (if you do not want the case, an email is not required, but it would help me manage product internally)   Since hasbro will not be able to get us the product you had originally pre-ordered, we will cancel the original pre-order and nothing will be charged unless you make the switch to the case above.

Sorry again for the problem, and hopefully the new figures will be of some consolation to you. 

This fits several categories:

I told you so.  Nice work Hasbro.   >:(

Good news, bad news.   :-\

Holy ****, what a stroke of luck.   :o ;D

I'm opting for all three, and not surprisingly I replied with an emphatic yes to that order.  So I'm in great shape with respect to most figures in VOTC now.  I now have, either in hand or pending:

Luke 3
Han 1
Ben 1
Leia 1
Vader 2 (1 from Nick)
Yoda 1
C-3PO 1 (JuvyD)
Lando 1 (JuvyD)
1 x Darth Vader (BBTS)
1 x Lando (BBTS)
2 x Stormtrooper (BBTS)
1 x Chewbacca (BBTS)
1 x R2D2 (BBTS)
2 x Boba Fett (BBTS)

I think I'll be taking Luke back to the store and flipping him for a Ben or Han, both easily found.  So to complete my loose set (knock on wood, BBTS doesn't get the shaft again) I need:

C-3PO 1
Yoda 1
Chewbacca 1
R2D2 1

That's a huge relief.  Yoda and 3PO should show locally and so long as the last wave makes it here, Chewie and R2 shouldn't be too difficult either. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2004, 12:37 PM »
WalMart.com has the ESB Wave in Stock
Lando
C-3PO
Vader
Yoda
Lando and 3PO are now out of stock

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2004, 11:41 PM »
You're right around where I am as far as what I need for a loose set Morg...  I need a 3PO, R2, Chewie, and that's about it for one full set.

Beyond that however, I'm still in need of doubles of many (though I rounded out Lando and Vader in the last 4 days) figures...  Mostly the ROTJ though since I have what I want of the rest.  I'm figuring R2 and 3PO will be found easy enough soon enough...  Fett, Chewie, and of course the Stormie are my bigger concern, but if the first series any indication, then the ROTJ wave will ship well enough...

Or so I hope.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: October 7, 2004, 04:32 PM »
Well, my wave 3 case is en route from EE so I've got Lando on the way, but I still need to track down another 3PO.

Anyone notice how he seems to be so much harder to find than his ESB compatriots (Vader, Yoda, Lando)?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

SilverZ

« Reply #41 on: October 7, 2004, 04:57 PM »
He's certainly the short-pack of the line so far. He's been in one assortment and one per case at that. At least Lando has a second chance in the ROTJ wave that's currently shipping. The only other upcoming case 3P0's in is the Wave 3, Revision 1 case (as EE lists it):

2x Boba Fett - Return of the Jedi, 1x R2-D2 - Return of the Jedi, 1x Chewbacca - Return of the Jedi, 1x Stormtrooper - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 1x Yoda - Empire Strikes Back, 1x C-3P0 - Empire Strikes Back, 1x Obi-Wan Kenobi - A New Hope.

Why Hasbro has insisted on such stupid packing ratios, when all they have to handle is a whopping 12 figures in the line (in the same timeframe that they've release 38 figures in OTC) boggles the mind. I do hate him more and more, though, and he nearly deserves sucky distribution.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: October 7, 2004, 05:54 PM »
3PO, Chewie, and R2 are the 3 I need for a single complete set...

Still needing doubles of Chewie, Fett, Stormie though.  :(

I'm glad R2 and 3PO are 2 of the last ones I need since they're the least impressive of the series IMO.  Chewie though is killing me.  Possibly the overall BEST figure and I don't have one yet.  :(  I'm a dejected collector at this point...

The Stormie and Fett not showing up for my doubles (and extras of the Stormie) is also pretty dejecting.  My efforts are yielding NOTHING right now.  Stores are dryer than a popcorn fart in Pittsburgh.

Online Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #43 on: October 8, 2004, 10:17 AM »
Yoda's cool too...  They just goofed on him some, namely that his coat's a bit big, and his belt doesn't go around it which makes the figure 100% inaccurate unfortunately.  I'm trying to see if there's a way to remedy that, however his belt's pretty snug on his waist UNDER the coat, so short of making a new belt all together, it seems unlikely to be a simple fix.

Any idea if the vintage belt would fit?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2004, 02:25 PM »
Lando, Vader and Yoda are back in stock at WalMart.com

Stormie and Fett from the ROTJ Wave.

DBK