Author Topic: Vintage OTC Figures - The Return of the Jedi  (Read 37682 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Vintage OTC Figures - The Return of the Jedi
« on: August 4, 2004, 04:00 PM »
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 02:35 PM by Nataku »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2004, 05:12 PM »

That Chewie sounds really nice. Removable bandolier...

Bobb, where do you get the impression that Chewie's bandolier is removable?  I was actually going to comment on this to the contrary - that it appears that it's not going to be removable, as most of us were afraid of...  But hopefully you caught something somewhere that I just missed.  The only blurb I saw on the bandolier was this:

Decoed in his classic ginger-brown fur and wearing nothing but his bandolier, Chewbacca required over 60 paint operations.

I didn't read "wearing nothing but his bandolier" as implying that it wasn't sculpted onto him.  Plus, the following statement seems to suggest that Chewie's only "accessory" is his bowcaster.  I would think that if the bandolier was removable, they'd mention that here as well...

He comes with a bowcaster that requires one-time customer assembly.

But I'd be happy as a clam if you were right!  (are clams really that happy, and how can you tell?)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2004, 06:12 PM »
I too noticed no word on it being removable, but...  I wouldn't be surprised if it is.  Looking at the photo, it's either really raised fromthe sculpt or it's separate.

The other thing...  The # of articulation points in the torso, to me, implies a separate bandoleir.  I don't know how they'd do it otherwise without it looking awkward or hindering the articulation.

I'm holding out hope...  For now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2004, 06:24 PM »
The other thing...  The # of articulation points in the torso, to me, implies a separate bandoleir.  I don't know how they'd do it otherwise without it looking awkward or hindering the articulation.

That seems like hella good reasoning for it to be seperate. Otherwise, the only way that 3 segment torso would work is if they bandolier was a molded component that is permanently attached to the topmost torso section. My money's on it being removable.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 4, 2004, 06:39 PM »
It could definitely be just as you mentioned though Jared, as I was thinking something similar.  

I'm hoping removable.  Wookie Fodder's in need.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: August 4, 2004, 07:10 PM »
I had pondered the difficulty of a sculpted bandolier with those 3 articulation points in his torso as well, but ultimately concluded what Jared just mentioned - that it's molded to only the topmost piece.  But I think with me, it's somehow telling that the pouch seems to lay against Chewie's hip so well down there.  I dunno...

Just looks too nicely strapped onto him for it to be a loose accessory.  But if it's indeed loose, then Hasbro's apparently done a very nice job on it, and making it conform to Chewie's body.

I also love how this Chewie is kinda "knock-kneed", just like he is in the movies, and how Peter Mayhew is in real life.  That's a very cool and authentic added touch with this figure.

I think this Chewie looks top-notch.  What I'd love to see sometime in the future, is for Hasbro to make a variation on this Chewie, by replacing his ROTJ head and hairstyle on this here VOTC figure, with his ANH/ESB one (with the "pulled back" hairstyle).  Now that would be an acceptable rehash from Hasbro, that most collectors would likely not take offense to...   8)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 4, 2004, 09:00 PM »
Best. Chewie. Ever. Looks like Hasbro has another winner.

Too bad he doesn't have ball jointed knees though.  :(
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 5, 2004, 03:24 PM »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage OTC Figures - by the Case Pre-Orders
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2004, 02:09 PM »
I was wondering, for those of you who ended up ordering cases of the VOTC online, have any of you received them yet (the ones that are out, anyways).  I didn't think I had read any posts regarding that (just store finds), so I was just curious.  Also, I was looking over some of the case assortment over at EE (of which I only see two right now), and unless I am reading it wrong, it seems like C-3PO could be a tough one to find.  Right now they are listing:

Original Trilogy Vintage Figures, Wave 3, Revision 1:

2x Boba Fett - Return of the Jedi, 1x R2-D2 - Return of the Jedi, 1x Chewbacca - Return of the Jedi, 1x Stormtrooper - Return of the Jedi (NEW), 1x Yoda - Empire Strikes Back, 1x C-3P0 - Empire Strikes Back, 1x Obi-Wan Kenobi - A New Hope

Original Trilogy Vintage Figures, Wave 3, Revision 2:

1x Boba Fett - Return of the Jedi, 2x Stormtrooper - Return of the Jedi, 2x Yoda - Empire Strikes Back, 1x Lando Calrissian - Empire Strikes Back, 2x Darth Vader - Empire Strikes Back

Although I can't complain, since I have had decent luck so far finding VOTC in stores (all but Vader thus far), I am really worried about the remaining figures.  Am I the only shmuck that didn't preorder these figures, and decided to "try his luck" at retail? ;)  I guess many people have had decent luck so far, so hopefully that will continue.  I really worry about the ROTJ wave, with fan favorites Boba Fett and Stormtrooper...and R2-D2 and Chewbacca who seem to be somewhat shortpacked as well.  Gots to get me that wookiee, well...all of them really :P
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 02:48 PM by Nataku »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage OTC Figures - The Return of the Jedi
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 02:33 PM »
Since our VOTC thread is getting so huge, I thought I'd abuse my new found Mod skillz and spin off separate threads for the ESB wave and the RotJ waves...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 02:44 PM »
Just a  summary from the other thread...

Chewie:

Boba Fett:

R2-D2:

Stormtrooper:

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage OTC Figures - by the Case Pre-Orders
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 02:50 PM »
I was wondering, for those of you who ended up ordering cases of the VOTC online, have any of you received them yet (the ones that are out, anyways). 

I have not yet recieved ANY of the vOTC cases I ordered, including wave 1 which I am sure is going to be cancelled at some point...

Jeff

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 03:49 PM »
Never saw any of my preorders, so I cancelled them all, and relied on retail.  Glad I cancelled because I am all caught up. 

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 06:37 PM »
I cancelled my original wave 1 order with EE because I found three of the four of them at retail.  I still have wave 3 on order with them but am hopeful that I will find everything at retail in September (because even Shopko is suppose to get vintage figures in).  I wonder if they are going to change their shipping amounts due to the over abundance of Leia, Han and Obiwan on the pegs.  At least from what I've read in the MI/WI threads, they are EVERYWHERE and no sign of movement after the first initial release.
Beth

SilverZ

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 07:32 PM »
I was told by EE that they did get initial shipments of Wave 1.5 (or 1.0, not sure) and went on to say they have been getting allocation #s that weren't pretty. But that was about a month ago. I thought Scott got a case from them? I was caught up on Wave 1 before any of my preorders came into stock, so I cancelled up to Wave 2.5.

I had a TRU bring a case out for me the other day (they seem to be getting mostly Wave 2, I thought), only to discover it was 1.5. I hope that doesn't mean after those initial Vader/Yoda cases, Hasbro started shipping Wave 1 again, and TRU becomes the retail space that ends up with too many of that wave too late in the game. I'm still frightened that all the retailers are going to be stocked up on inventory before the ROTJ figs hit.

Therefore I shall pray to the e-tail gods for abundant Wave 3 shipments.  :(