Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 193233 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2005, 01:07 AM »
I declare Shenanigans on that ****!

Amen.  Not only they charge 2-3X the domestic shipping price, many sellers (especially online shops) will also add a handling fee as well.  Hey, I know you've got to fill out the customs slip, but is that really worth another $5 to $15?  Argh.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #211 on: January 24, 2005, 02:05 AM »
So I wanted to go ahead and change my e-mail address on eBay to an account that I can check more regularly. But when I got to the section to change my e-mail address, eBay wanted me to input my credit card information. At first I thought somehow I got tricked into a scam site, but sure enough everything appears to be an official e-Bay site. Has anyone experienced this before, what kind of BS is this? It's just a simple e-mail address change, they should not be asking this kind of detailed info.

tia
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #212 on: January 24, 2005, 02:08 AM »
I tried to do the exact same thing the other day and could not believe it. Total bull****.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 24, 2005, 02:22 AM »
yeah it definitely is, since when does ebay require any such records, its not like we actually do the transactions via ebay, once the auction ends, everything is off to the side and they accept checks for payment of auction costs.  ****** assclowns I say!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 24, 2005, 10:38 AM »
I think it's a security thing now, it may depend what kind of email address you are trying to register with. I know using a Hotmail addy requires a CC.

I just went and had a look at the email change area and it mentioned "Enter a valid email address that you can check immediately. Your change will not take effect until you follow the instructions in an email sent to this email address".

Then it asks to enter the 4 digit number in the box for security purposes.

Did you get the same thing? Do you have a CC on file with them?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 24, 2005, 10:58 AM »
I think it's a security thing now, it may depend what kind of email address you are trying to register with. I know using a Hotmail addy requires a CC.

I think Dale's right with the hotmail account.  I recently tried changing my ebay email using my hotmail account and was told to do the CC thing.  Not wanting to do that, I used my work email and no problems what so ever.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 24, 2005, 11:36 AM »
Both Hotmail and Yahoo accounts requie CC information.  Truthfully, I don't blame them.  You can get and make up something entirely fictional on either of those free mail servers with no problems at all.  We've all seen scammers on ebay, I think this is a small and probably ineffecient way to deter them.  There's lots of ways around it and really, when did ebay actually stop someone completely ::)

Blame the scammers, that's why it's there.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 24, 2005, 06:33 PM »
i actually changed my account to my comcast because my yahoo one was only being used for ebay and i was tired of checking it. i didnt need a credit card to use my comcast email. i did have a problem logging into paypal so they required a credit card number for changing my password, which i thought was  a bit much but very much appreciated. since everyone of my financial institutions is connected to my paypal account
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 24, 2005, 06:35 PM »
well that is interesting, i was trying to change my email to a G-Mail account and it asked for the CC after asking for a 4 digit number like Dale suggested, I'll try my comcast acct and see what happens.

update: yeah you guys were right, it was the e-mail account I was trying to use that caused ebay to ask for CC info. I had no problems whatsoever changing it to my Comcast acct. I can understand why they would want to be careful with those generic e-mail accounts from yahoo, hotmail, gmail, aol, etc, not enough documentation to really verify who someone is. But still to ask for CC info still seems shady to me. thanks for the help guys!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 06:55 PM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2005, 05:09 PM »
Screw a bunch of eBay. I use it to see all the "buy nows", and don't bother auctioning or wasting time with eBay. I'll deal directly with the dealers who have "buy this item now."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2005, 05:53 PM »
I just noticed that I'm not a "verified" member for using paypal, and they have a spending limit.  This limit goes away if you supply them with a bank account.  I'm guessing they did this so that it protects them from credit card fraud, but my question is, if I give them my account number, can/will they deduct payment directly from my account or from my credit card as it is now?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #221 on: June 27, 2005, 12:26 AM »
Good question Matt.  I've been just NOW tinkering with Pay Pal.  I don't use PP ever, and rarely use Ebay really (never sold, only bought, and limited in anything I've bought even). 

I verified my account with a bank account, and from what I gathered that I read, they don't take ANYTHING from your account, it's just a protection measure for the "Pay Pal COmmunity".  Others will be able to verify this though.

From what I gathered, fi you wanted to actually pay with Pay-Pal, you had to transfer money FROM your Bank Account to your Pay-Pal Account, which took a couple days, and then you could pay with Pay-Pal by transferring the money you put into your PP account into another Pay-Pal Account...  If that makes sense.

Again, I'm a novice with this.  I dont' use Ebay for much of anything unless I can get it for super cheap but recently found a need to have a PP account so I signed up.  Still have yet to use it.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2005, 11:20 AM »
Thanks Jesse.  I've never sold anything on ebay, but I really enjoy the convenience of paypal.  I figured it was just an added security measure for them.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #223 on: June 28, 2005, 01:38 PM »
When you go to pay for something on eBay using PayPal, the default will be your bank account, but as you go through the payment process, you'll get the option to change payment source to your credit card.  Now, I've never used any of the quickpay links, so I don't know if they do something different there; I've always just gone to PayPal.com and gone through the usual payment procedure from there.
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #224 on: June 28, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Merged your thread in here with this one Matt.  ;)