Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 192332 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #645 on: March 11, 2014, 01:40 AM »
Yes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 11, 2014, 01:43 AM »
Isn't opening someone's mail a federal offense?

Big time!

Is It Illegal to Open Someone Else's Mail? 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 15, 2014, 11:16 AM »
Anyone else get an email about the new changes going into effect today for sellers?

Upshot for me is no more free BIN listings for toys. That SUCKS, 90% of my sales are through BIN auctions. eBay was pushing these types of auctions for awhile and now they're pushing for auction style listings. I don't see why they can't stop jerking sellers around. Without us, they have no business.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 15, 2014, 11:38 AM »
No BIN for toys?!  Forget selling, that's often how I SHOP.  You can find really great deals by searching new BIN listings.

**** eBay.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 15, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I think what he's saying is there is a fee on any toy you list BIN style. Not no BIN for toys.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 15, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Ooops... yeah, I missed the word free in his post.  Well, that's not to terrible.  It's a fee, but that's how it used to be...

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 15, 2014, 02:12 PM »
I read through the details last week when I got the email and found it confusing.

I think we actually get a handful of free BIN listings per month in select categories that include toys (50?).  Other categories seem to have less restrictive free BIN listings. 

There are also a number of free auction style listings provided (150?), but I don't think this was restricted by category.

Although this might all depend on your sales volumes, or ratings or something.

The way I basically read these changes and other changes they've made over the past several years is that they're focusing their offering around "eBay marketplace" vendors, where you need to have a certain sales volume or pay a monthly/yearly fee.  Basically the days of random people like us selling stuff on eBay being a big part of their business have gone.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 16, 2014, 07:42 AM »
So Ebay may or may not charge miscellaneous fees for random aspects of your listing on top of high percentages, a. Share of your shipping ask, and double taxation via forced Paypal payments.  That sounds about right for them.  Can't wait to sell a $20 figure and get $3.75 back after Ebay jerking around.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 16, 2014, 08:49 AM »
I read through the details last week when I got the email and found it confusing.

I think we actually get a handful of free BIN listings per month in select categories that include toys (50?).  Other categories seem to have less restrictive free BIN listings. 

There are also a number of free auction style listings provided (150?), but I don't think this was restricted by category.

Although this might all depend on your sales volumes, or ratings or something.

The way I basically read these changes and other changes they've made over the past several years is that they're focusing their offering around "eBay marketplace" vendors, where you need to have a certain sales volume or pay a monthly/yearly fee.  Basically the days of random people like us selling stuff on eBay being a big part of their business have gone.

Yeah, I think you're right about them squeezing out the little guys. I guess I can keep my free BIN listings for toys if I open up an eBay store (cha-ching) - no thanks.

And yeah, I still get plenty of free auction style listings, but that's not going to do much to improve my sales. The kind of stuff I sell is not usually the kind of stuff people would start bidding wars over.

I'm considering just listing the stuff under a different category and see what happens. I rarely search by category anyway, personally.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #654 on: May 16, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Sounds like maybe it'll prevent idiot sellers from incessantly relisting toys with ridiculous BINs.  Can't complain about that!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 16, 2014, 09:26 AM »
Sounds like maybe it'll prevent idiot sellers from incessantly relisting toys with ridiculous BINs.  Can't complain about that!

That is a good point. One of my biggest pet peeves about ebay is the sellers who spend no research time on what their stuff is worth (same item selling for).
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 16, 2014, 10:48 AM »
What I can't stand about ebay is how all of the star wars stuff is double to triple what it is actually worth. It's hard to find a good deal with all of the huge prices.

However video games for the DS/3DS and original xbox and 360 games are a steal. I've been watching an auction where they will give you a random set of fifty xbox360/ps2 games for $40.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 16, 2014, 10:53 AM »
I agree that is annoying, but I think that's more bigger sellers who are probably going to be exempt from these rules. The people that actually spend the time and effort to list reasonably prices stuff are the ones who are getting pinched.

And honestly, the ridiculous BIN auctions are not as annoying to me as the people who write to me asking me to sell stuff below my asking price when it is not a Best Offer auction. Don't waste my time.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27 PM »
And honestly, the ridiculous BIN auctions are not as annoying to me as the people who write to me asking me to sell stuff below my asking price when it is not a Best Offer auction. Don't waste my time.

Really?  Not to poke fun, but I would love to have the annoyance of people offering me money on a regular basis!  Isn't this is a win-win scenario?  If your item is not selling for the price listed, you have someone making an alternative offer that might still be agreeable to you...especially if you're able to subtract out the added Ebay and Paypal fees you endure from a completed auction.  Heck, in some cases you might take home more than a completed auction sale.  I would love to get offers like that on my Ebay sales, provided their not all outrageous low-ball offers and even then it just takes a few seconds to read and delete. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 16, 2014, 02:47 PM »

Really?  Not to poke fun, but I would love to have the annoyance of people offering me money on a regular basis!  Isn't this is a win-win scenario?  If your item is not selling for the price listed, you have someone making an alternative offer that might still be agreeable to you...especially if you're able to subtract out the added Ebay and Paypal fees you endure from a completed auction.  Heck, in some cases you might take home more than a completed auction sale.  I would love to get offers like that on my Ebay sales, provided their not all outrageous low-ball offers and even then it just takes a few seconds to read and delete.

Agreed.  Probably half of my auctions are completed outside of eBay because I get an acceptable offer and it allows me to avoid the ridiculous eBay fees and only pay the PayPal fees.

I just ignore or politely refuse any unreasonably low offers.