Author Topic: VOTC...haven't I seen these before?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
VOTC...haven't I seen these before?
« on: August 26, 2004, 01:00 PM »
File this one under the "nothing new under the sun" heading...

I was thinking this morning about how all-out Hasbro seems to be going with the rehashes this year to capitalize on the DVD releases, and comparing it to the THX VHS releases back in 95. You know, the whole POTF2 thing.

I thought "wouldn't it have been great to see fifty figures spanning all the movies released at once back then?"

To which I replied: "Yeah, but they all would've been rehashes from the vintage era, probably, with only six new figures thrown in."

"Not necessarily," I responded. "after all, we also got the VOTC line this year. That's something"

And then it hit me: The VOTC of 2004 mirror the original POTF2 line-up almost exactly. To wit:

Luke Skywalker (ANH outfit)
Han Solo (ANH outfit)
Princess Leia (ANH outfit)
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Darth Vader
See-Threepio
Artoo Detoo
Chewbacca
Stormtrooper

Followed closely by:

Boba Fett
Lando Calrissian
Yoda

Throw a Pilot Luke into the VOTC, and you have the first two waves of POTF2 represented completely. Plus a rehash of the vintage X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Falcon.

Kind of amazing how far we've come in ten years, and how much things are exactly the same.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC...haven't I seen these before?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 02:19 PM »
I think you can add the TIE Pilot to that list.

You're right, the character selection hasn't changed in that comparison, but the quality is a substantial upgrade.

:P

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC...haven't I seen these before?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 06:08 PM »
I can definitely see your point there Muftak.  Interesting observation there!  So I guess that means that Hasbro's really come full circle and is now eye-ing the next phase of their line, and the potential stuff for after the ROTS figures are released.  I've seen a lot of members suggesting for years that they do an "Ultimate Edition" line, so maybe that's where the line will move on to as it runs it's course in the next several years.

I just want them to squeeze in some more of the Cantina and Jabba's Palace aliens in there somewhere too though!  Don't start all over, but rather do a nice mix of continued "Ultimate Edition" figures, alongside some POTJesque OT background characters that are still missing.  That'd be just perfect for me!   8)

But I'm glad to see them making some nicer figure finally though.  Just wish they didn't cost so much, and weren't a limited release.