Author Topic: DC Comics' "Super Powers"  (Read 16814 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
DC Comics' "Super Powers"
« on: August 26, 2004, 02:34 PM »
Thinking about toy lines from my youth, and got to thinking about the old Super Powers line.  Did anyone else have these (or maybe still do)?  This was one of my favorite "other" lines as a kid, still have quite a few of them, although our dog got a hold of my favorite, Batman.  I've often considered trying to pick up another one via ebay, we'll see.  Maybe someday.  I think this line (along with the "Super Friends" cartoon), is much of the reason I really enjoy the Justice League cartoon/concept today.  I know its a cartoon, but I do like to watch it ;)  Anyways, anyone else enjoy Super Powers?

Image courtesy of toyotter.com (click the linky above for more)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: DC Comics' "Super Powers"
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 02:55 PM »
I had:
Batman
Robin
Superman
Green Lantern
The Flash

I lost all three of the capes along the way, eventually even poor Batman's head went missing.  I still have Green Lantern and The Flash though, they are sitting on my GL Shrine shelf.

Super Powers was great.  I had the figures, the comics, and loved the SuperFriends TV show.  Probably why I was never turned into a Marvel Zombie and can resist the siren song of the Marvel Legends figures... unfortunately, I can't resist the DC Direct figures, DC Pocket Heroes, DC Kubricks (thanks Kubrick Krazies for starting me on this one)...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 02:58 PM »
I've thought about picking some of these up, some of the best action features ever and one reason I was able to stomach some of the 2002 Hasbro stuff

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 05:16 PM »
I've got a number of figures from this line.  I can't remember them all to be honest, but they were pretty nice for their time.  Kenner made this line, right?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 09:32 PM »
Yeah, Kenner goodness, Kenner pumped out a ton of great product in the 80's, I can clearly remember arguing with my friends about them and Hasbro and the fact Hasbro used to shortpack Joes

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 09:37 PM »
Let's see if I can remember what I have.....

JUSTICE LEAGUE
Superman
Batman
Robin
Wonder Woman
Green Lantern
Green Arrow
Hawkman
Flash
Dr. Fate
Firestorm
Red Tornado
Martian Manhunter

VILLAINS
Joker
Penguin
Lex Luthor
Brainiac
Darkseid
Kalibak
Steppenwolf
Mantis
Parademon

VEHICLES
Batmobile
Lex Soar 7
Justice League ship (what the blazes was it called?)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 09:40 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Well I still have all of them except for Cyborg, I could never find him. I don't have the Riddler either which was only Released under the Super Amigos line. It is a repainted Green Lantern.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline 10incher

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Action Figure Archive
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Yep, got em all (had most of them as a kid). Probably one of the best 80s figures lines produced.
Visit www.action-figures.ca the 70s & 80s action figure guide, online store & forums. Discuss, buy, sell & trade vintage figures.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2005, 02:54 PM »
I just had the GL and Aquaman figures.  I was more into Star Wars and Joes at the time.  I wish I would have had more because of the high quality.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: June 3, 2005, 05:53 PM »
I had:
Darkseid
Brainiac
Red Tornado
Wonder Woman
Superman

I might have had Batman and Robin, but I can't really remember.
I was more into MOTU when these had their heyday, but I watched the cartoon religiously. I think it was on after Ewoks locally.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 03:22 PM »
I have pretty much the entire run, except for Tyr and the Pacipas Riddler. this was one of those lines that I just loved as a kid. the majority of my collection is from my childhood. Except for the Cyborg figure which I picked up on Ebay about a year ago.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 04:14 PM »
I was finally able to pick up a figure I've been watching/bidding/after for awhile now, the Super Powers Superman.  I've bid on a number on ebay over the past year or so, and watched quite a few more, but it never quite worked out.  Well, I guess patience was the key as I was able to get a mint, loose, complete one for $7.50.  The ones I had been watching had gone quite a bit higher than that, and when I got it in the mail last week I was thrilled to see it was in great shape.  Glad to add it to the Supes shelf, now someday I'll have to go after a Luthor (and maybe upgrade some of my others).  Anyways...just happy to have this one in the collection finally:

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 01:25 AM »
So of the original Super Powers line...what still needs to be made in DC Classics?

If Golden Pharoah and Manhunter are coming out...that's it, no?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:27 AM by Scott »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 09:11 AM »
So of the original Super Powers line...what still needs to be made in DC Classics?

Martian Manhunter and Golden Pharoah are just about confirmed and Plastic Man is this year's 2010 SDCC exclusive.  That leaves just Dick Grayson Robin and Samurai.

If you want to get technical, the Penguin, Orion, Kalibak and Riddler DC Classics figures aren't exact representations of their Super Powers figures.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 03:12 PM »

Martian Manhunter and Golden Pharoah are just about confirmed and Plastic Man is this year's 2010 SDCC exclusive.  That leaves just Dick Grayson Robin and Samurai.

If you want to get technical, the Penguin, Orion, Kalibak and Riddler DC Classics figures aren't exact representations of their Super Powers figures.

And i am being technical about it, I hate the Riddler they released. I reappinted my own Green Lantern to get the Riddler I wanted. I could deal without another Penguin but it woul be such an easy repaint and it would give them an excuse to finally release that mechanical penguin the 4HM sculpted.  I would like Orion redone but Kalibak is so awesome i dont mind how different he is.  I would like to see them get to the never released 4th wave of figures too, which they had done a few of.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"