Author Topic: Marvel Legends Haslab - Ghost Rider's Engine of Vengeance  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel Legends Haslab - Ghost Rider's Engine of Vengeance
« Reply #15 on: October 5, 2022, 09:41 AM »
Figure looks cool. I think they mentioned in one of their livestreams that the figure unlocks would basically be characters that they couldn’t do at retail….and both of these track as far as that goes. I’ve seen a lot of comments online of the “oh they’re getting desperate, that’s why the unlock goal is lower for this”, and it’s like of course, they want this to succeed. Plus, if you are someone that is backing it, bonus, it’s a little easier to get extra stuff. If they didn’t change anything and put Goblin Queen at 14,000 or higher, everyone would complain “why even show this, they’ll never get there”, or “why didn’t they adjust, to help this succeed?” Personally I think it is a good decision to not just stand pat and try to boost things. That’s what the Star Wars team did with the Rancor and look how that turned out.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 5, 2022, 02:02 PM »
Once you put out Emma Frost you can pretty much make any female character IMO. Even Tigra had a skimpy bikini. And to top it off, they didn’t even make her with the requisite underboob which was the most risqué part. I don’t see how she is any more controversial than those other figures.

I also don’t see why they couldn’t make Mephisto a simple Fan Channel exclusive if they are really worried about those two Karens in Topeka boycotting the company over a figure that vaguely resembles the Devil.

But yeah, we’re definitely also at the point where it has become such a divisive topic that people are going to complain no matter what. It’s weird to see generally supportive Legends collectors go full Star Wars over something like this, lol.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 11:01 AM »
Lost another ~100 backers since announcing Goblin Queen Madelyne Pryor.  Now sits at 5217 (or about where it was on day 6 of the campaign) with about three weeks to go.

It’s weird to see generally supportive Legends collectors go full Star Wars over something like this, lol.

I agree. This was never going to be a slam dunk like Sentinel or HISS Tank, but I'm surprised to see it losing backers at this rate.  This thing is very much following the Rancor path (people thinking the price is too high, not an army builder, upset with the tiers, etc). 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2022, 05:35 PM »
It was down to 5209 when I checked earlier but looks like they actually picked up one since then lol. I guess the current beef is the lack of any third tier reveal at NYCC, even though they apparently brought the figure with them but held off for whatever reason. Not sure if that really helps or hurts them at this point, if Goblin Queen didn’t jump start the thing who else could they roll out that would really wow people?

Definitely think overall pricing fatigue is working against this thing too. With all the preorders and other competing large projects, it’s asking a lot more people to pony up dough for something they may not feel is a great value.

3 weeks to the finish line, should be interesting.  >:D

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2022, 10:13 PM »
In honor of the late Eddie Van Halen, a moment of silence for them dipping down to 5150 tonight.  ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2022, 03:06 PM »
Lost another ~100 backers since announcing Goblin Queen Madelyne Pryor.  Now sits at 5217 (or about where it was on day 6 of the campaign) with about three weeks to go.

In honor of the late Eddie Van Halen, a moment of silence for them dipping down to 5150 tonight.  ;)

5099 now.  Down 117 from last Monday.  Two weeks to go... 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2022, 04:32 PM »
Well, the MOTU Eternia playset has officially funded. It actually has more backers than the GR HasLab right now. (Was down to 5080 this morning) I continue to be surprised that some people are convinced this thing is not only going to fund, but hit all tiers. I mean, it might, but I don’t see a lot to inspire that kind of confidence right now.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2022, 04:38 PM »
To be fair, there are people out there who have wanted an Eternia since 1987, and this is the first chance they've had to get one ($The crowdfunding price is way more affordable than buying a vintage one.)

The "Ghost Rider but with a car" is a character from the 2000s that collectors like me didn't even know was a thing until the Haslab started.

I hope seeing the success of Eternia pushes Hasbro to finally do a new USS Flag...that's a grail item many would be happy to scratch off their wishlist.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2022, 07:15 AM »
I hope seeing the success of Eternia pushes Hasbro to finally do a new USS Flag...that's a grail item many would be happy to scratch off their wishlist.

I don't know what I would do with this, or what divorce attorney to hire, but I don't think I could pass this up were it offered.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2022, 12:08 PM »
5099 now.  Down 117 from last Monday.  Two weeks to go...

4916 now.  Down 183 from last Monday.  One week to go...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 12:08 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2022, 08:01 PM »
4916 now.  Down 183 from last Monday.  One week to go...

4845 now.    I wonder if the launch of the new TFers Haslab will cause people to drop this and go for that instead...

Last ditch announcement = 11k backers gets you Damien Hellstrom

Tier #1 - 10k backers unlocks ML6" Goblin Queen Madelyne Pryor
Tier #2 - 11k backers unlocks ML6" Damien Hellstrom
Tier #3 - 12k backers unlocks ML6" Mephisto

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 08:03 PM by Jeff »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2022, 02:08 PM »
Lol, they kept pronouncing it Damien too during the live stream, but it’s actually Daemon.  >:D

Ironic because that is a character I really, really want…but they chose the most obscure possible interpretation of him, from a video game and not even a comic. The classic version with the red cape would have been a much more exciting choice I think.

They’ve lost backers since the announcement, so I think the writing is on the wall. And I agree the TF announcement has probably cut into their business as well.

It’s getting ugly on some of the online forums…way worse than I recall it ever getting with the Rancor.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2022, 11:04 AM »
Lol, they kept pronouncing it Damien too during the live stream, but it’s actually Daemon.  >:D

I got Damien from HasbroPulse Twitter - funny they messed that up like that.

Anyway, final day... 

09/19 - 3883
09/20 - 4195
09/22 - 5215
10/01 - 5500
10/10 - 5217
10/17 - 5099
10/24 - 4916
10/27 - 4845
10/31 - 4847 

Less than a day to go...  RIP Fancy Ghost Rider Car.

final edit:  5060 as of 12:07am ET.
« Last Edit: November 1, 2022, 12:07 AM by Jeff »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 1, 2022, 08:21 PM »
Surprise, surprise, surprise!  :D

Lots of finger pointing and armchair quarterbacking going on today. This really become a toxic subject the last few weeks to a level I’ve never seen Star Wars sink to, and that is saying something.

I feel like with the Rancor even most of us who backed it weren’t exactly thrilled with the value, especially the super lame tiers. So I never felt bitter about it not funding, nor begrudged anyone who chose not to back it. I totally got that.

But jfc, the insane hostility and hyper defensiveness from some of the people backing this thing was hard to stomach. Seems like a weird item to get so worked up about, but I guess some people need little provocation.

I think a lot of things are probably true here:

The base offering was just not that compelling. 50th anniversary of the character but they chose to put out a much later iteration that a lot of fans don’t connect with. Hard to capitalize on nostalgia with a character that new.

The Early Bird thing was a mistake. They really shot themselves in the foot once that failed to fund, and the bonus head they offered instead just seemed like a halfhearted capitulation. Either do it like Mattel, where only the people who back by a certain date get the Early Bird, or just skip it altogether. Otherwise once that fails to happen you have an instant perception of diminished value.

The timing was ill advised. People are generally more flush with cash in the spring,  and having to compete with the Eternia playset, AND that Transformers HasLab that recently launched did them no favors.

The tiers were so poorly executed it almost seemed like trolling. Hey, you’ve wanted Daemon Hellstrom for 20 years? Well here he is in a look no one recognizes. We can’t sell the Goblin Queen at retail because she’s too sexy, so instead here’s a super conservative interpretation that isn’t even comic accurate. Ditto with Mephisto.

I could go on, but what’s the point, this thing is old news now. Hopefully more lessons learned for the future!