Author Topic: Anybody else a hardcore auto enthusiast?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline austinPOTF

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Drive Fast, Walk Slow
Anybody else a hardcore auto enthusiast?
« on: August 29, 2004, 12:50 AM »
Any other modders or track guys/gals around these parts? I dumped a beautiful 350Z back in April for a Subaru STi which I just completed some additional mods on this weekend. I live to get behind the wheel and hit the track, a real road course with left AND right turns.  I have a membership to a private track (Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX) and try and make it out every other weekend. I also have an '03 Civic Si hatch daily-driver that's bone stock and staying that way. Number one, I don't see the point in modding a Civic and Number two, see Number one. ;)

As a result of all I spend on the cars, the collection does take a back seat, but I am going to complete the OTC and VOTC collections before I take a break again. Here's a few pics of the old and new rides. Show me your cars!

More at... www.waynewmedia.com/350Z

The BEAST!

More at... www.waynewmedia.com/STi

New mods just finished:
Gauges (FINALLY!) Boost, oil pressure and oil temp. 4-point roll bar and harnesses.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody else a hardcore auto enthusiast?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 01:08 PM »
i too am very much into cars. i am trading in my explorer v8 for a new rx8. I was looking at both the sti and the 350, but the 350 drives very stiff and the sti was too small inside. the rx 8 is nice, and it drives nice. i cant wait to pick it up on tuesday
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 01:34 PM »
I was heavy into cars for a while, until I realized I couldn't really afford what most magazines were writing about.

But a Jeep Wrangler is still my dream car.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 01:34 PM by Clark Griswold »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 02:48 PM »
My father raced when he was younger, so I've grown up around racetracks...  He did open-wheel dirt oval racing, and he dragraced his '59 Corvette (well before I was born).  We still went to the tracks after he quit though, and being that he's a motor inspector/mechanic (Just retired Friday actually) for a steel mill, and my oldest brother's a mechanic, and that my family in general always do our own car work all the time...  Well, I guess we're into cars. :)

Currently I own a 1992 Thunderbird SC, and a 1994 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible.

My Le Baron's my daily use car that I put miles on (has 68k now, 58k when I bought it last year), and I have to say that it's impressed me.  It's powerful, solid, sporty, fun...  6 cylinder automatic, but there's a 4-cylinder with Turbo that's supposedly nice (but hardtop only).  I get complements because most of these when you see them aren't in nice shape anymore.  I have people test me (mostly just with cars they are overly proud of) at stop lights and short of them having an obviously more powerful sports car, my Le Baron rarely fails me. 

I don't do customizing to my car, though if I had extra $ I probably would at least do a little bit.  Mostly cosmetic stuff.  The engine's fine as it is, since I don't race, and it's powerful enough for commuting in the city.

My T-Bird's a whole other story.  Stock, it looks like it's been custmized actually.  When people test me at lights in this I personally have come against nothing that was able to match it, though a Vette and I one night did horse around and he easily went past me once he hit his higher gears.

It's a Supercharged 6-Cyl. 5-speed with *drumroll* 158k on it.  Surprisingly it's not got a lot of problems, but, I need to do work on it.  First in line's welding new floorboards, and having a new left rear fender piece cut as the people who've owned it before me never took good care of it.

The engine's solid, but at 158k needs a rebuild because I know some of these have been hard miles put on it by the last owner.  I need to redo the interior (black leather) because it was a daily use car that nobody took care of again, so there's tears and worn out spots (especially on the driver's seat). 

The Transmission is the only major problem area on it, as it'll slip out of gear, or simply NOT go into gear when shifting.  Besides wanting to rebuild or replace it, I've got that little problem.

In general, this car's a project that my wallet can't handle right now, so I have it in storage in this old lady's garage down the road from me.  I have it running, but never drive it.  They're actually fairly "rare" cars, as the SC is tempermental and prone to breaking.  The local Ford garage was shocked I had one, and one in such good shape.  They had to special order the lubricant for it because they thought there weren't any more left running in the area (even at a 12 year old car, it's being considered rare). 

So, I like it...  It's unique, not something you see every day.  I've thought of selling it because they do exist, you just don't see them creep into the green sheets often for sale, but what it's worth to me and what I'd get are prbably two different things.   :-\  So it stays till I have greater ammounts of cash.

EDIT:

Adding photos of what my cars basically look like.  Don't have a camera to do otherwise.  My Le Baron's in pristine condition, but the T-Bird's not, so adjust accordingly.  From a distance you couldn't tell on the T-Bird anyway.

T-Bird...  Mine's the exact same color red but had a limited edition detail job only available on the SC's.  I don't like it though (it's an aqua/black pinstripe that runs the entire way around the car...  That red's a spot on match though, which red isn't a color I'm fond of either.  I plan to paint it some day.

&

The Le Baron GTC Convertible...  This is the exact color combo of mine.  It's a dark green with a metallic flake in it, a gold/tan top, gold trim, etc...  I think this car's sporting t he same aluminum rims as mine too, which are surprisingly nice for factory.  They have gold highlights in them.  Really nice to me.  I got my car from some people with too much money for a mere $3400.  It was under warranty when they put it in a garage and didn't touch it again.  I was quite fortunate... 

Funny note.  I've found out that Le Baron's are a covted item in Europe I guess.  They're "rare" there, and considered quite an automotive prize to many in Europe, especially Germany.  I find that funny I guess because Le Baron's are a commn car seen in the States still.  There's a girl at my college has one IDENTICAL to mine but beat to hell and back.  I guess in Europe they're popular and have their own "club" and stuff though...  So, whatever.  Weird.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 05:00 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 03:40 PM »
I like old cars, pre-1975. I'm a HUGE fan of cars from the '40s with the great big round fenders.

This is car for inspiring wet panties.

Offline austinPOTF

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Drive Fast, Walk Slow
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 11:55 PM »
i too am very much into cars. i am trading in my explorer v8 for a new rx8. I was looking at both the sti and the 350, but the 350 drives very stiff and the sti was too small inside. the rx 8 is nice, and it drives nice. i cant wait to pick it up on tuesday

Nice choice. The gutless low-end is a deal breaker for me, but overall I liked the car.  I'd have to do it up like that Mazdaspeed version that's floating around though. What color are you getting? I've got a friend that works for Rotary Performance in Garland, TX and they picked up 20HP at the wheels w/the Greddy exhaust. No ****.

Offline austinPOTF

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Drive Fast, Walk Slow
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 11:59 PM »
Currently I own a 1992 Thunderbird SC, and a 1994 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible.

I remember those T-Birds when they came out. Nice car! Before I swore off domestics, I really wanted one. That and a '94 LT1 Impala SS.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 01:06 AM »
i am getting it in silver...10 hours away before i get it. i am not tired...too excited. a couple of my friends were surprised i was getting the 6-speed...i asked them why they were surprised i was getting a stick in a sports car. I know there is not tons of torque in it, but it is very quick

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 01:17 AM »
There's ONE major design flaw with the late 80 and 1990's T-Birds, and this may be an SC only issue, but I guess between the ground effects/body kit pieces and the actual body I guess they sprayed some kind of foam insulation to dampen road noise.

It absorbs water like a sponge though, and unfortunately these cars are prone to rotting inside out.  Mine's a victim of this and this is its only major flaw for a car with 158k+ miles on it.  Not bad when you think about it really, and this was a car I can certainly say was NOT well taken care of by previous owners but the engine and tranny hold up. 

A quick weld job and I'll be really set.  It's just a matter of me getting off my ass, taking out the whole interior, dropping the gas tank and transmission, and going to work on it.  My old man retired this past week and I think I'll have him to help me...  Maybe.  I know he isn't gonna want this in his garage forever though, so me working on it has been a matter of me having the time to devote to it.   :-\

It's a fun car though.  :)  Very ballsy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 09:45 AM »
i had an 84, 88, 95 tbirds. my 95 v6 was just as fast as the mustang v6. I actually beat one in a race. I would imagine the v8 would be just as fast as the mustang v8

I loved those cars

15 minutes until i leave for the rx 8

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 02:02 PM »
well i got the rx 8. the place was really prepared i only had to sign 200 forms, but they were prepared and i didnt have to wait. the care is fantastic. very different than the explorer. I am noticing the little things like blind spots and the fact that i get cut off more in a smaller car.  I love the car, the body design and everything is absolutely fantastic. it is very quick, i am not used to it yet...i love it though

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 02:14 PM »
I'd be into them if I didn't waste so damn much money on toys.  Ahem. 

My dream car remains a '67 Camaro SS, much to the chagrine of my wife who loves old Mustangs.  I like them too, and were I to buy a domestic car, I'd buy a Ford.  Something about the Camaro, and I suppose the older Firebirds as well, that just gets me.  I grew up not too distantly removed from these cars and lots of guys had them in high school (79-82 for me).  I owned a 73 (?) Challenger for a while, but got rid of it when I went back to university.  Very sad day, even though it was never the car I really wanted to own. 

I've been a Japanese car fan since then, mostly because of the reliability factor.  86 CRX; 89 Accord; now a 98 Altima, which is a very nice car and has proven extremely reliable.  Because I commute 110+ miles 5 days a week, there is no point in getting anything new.  I love the look of the new Altima, but since my car currently has 116, 000+ miles on it, there's no point.  My current car, in spite of being well maintained and running very well, is essentially worthless in terms of trade-in or sale value.  So I'm riding this until it drops, or I get a different job close to the city. 

I'd love to have a two door again as well, but with a four year old at home, it remains largely impractical due to car seat laws.  I'm hoping the next car is an Infiniti G35 or something of similar style/quality.  All wheel drive would be helpful/desirable considering the snow pack on the roads for 5 or more months a year.  Nice styling as well. 

I'm surprised reconsgt hasn't piped in yet, he's a car buff IIRC.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 05:19 PM »
i had an 84, 88, 95 tbirds. my 95 v6 was just as fast as the mustang v6. I actually beat one in a race. I would imagine the v8 would be just as fast as the mustang v8

Indeed!

And the SC's just put standard 6's to shame.  It's incredible...  I love when people packing what they think's hot pull up along side you.  For all the pain in the ass that an SC is, what with maintenance and simply the fact it practically COVERS the entire engine on top making routine maintenance a bitch, it really makes the difference between going fast and being thrown into your seat on every gear selection. 

The LeBaron has a 4-Cylinder Turbo model I guess that's like a 4 speed...  I've never personally seen one but I'm told it itself is an impressively fast "little" car.  The engine's in Le Baron's are Mitsubishi's if I'm not mistaken.  They're a Japanese make at least I'm pretty sure, but the 4-cylinder I guess is domestic.

My T-Bird's kinda like the Falcon I figure...  Lotsa owners, and none who treated it that well.  Kinda ugly body wrk on the outside (and underneath) that makes it not "look like much", but it sure "has it where it counts".  :)  I just gotta get it looking pretty some day.  And really for what I paid ($1,000, and about $500 in to get it inspected, and most of that in a new windshield), I could probably recoup that cost alone by selling the SC...  Parting the rest of the car out would retain a tidy little profit, or so I'm told.  I just kinda hate to do so...  It's really actually quite nice.  :-\

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #13 on: September 2, 2004, 06:02 PM »
Besides Star Wars prototype collecting, and Led Zeppelin, I also hit the streets every once in a while. 8>)

I've now owned the car almost 15 years.  How time and the car flies! 8>)

Robert
NOOMIVARR SECTOR
BLACK S. U. N.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 2, 2004, 10:55 PM »
i was driving my rx8 today and someone in dodge avenger pulled up next to me and was revving his engine then the light turned green and he gunned it. I decided to do it also and blew right by him and i looked down and i was doing 75. this car is so fast