Author Topic: Kevin Smith working on "Clerks" sequel  (Read 6383 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: Kevin Smith working on "Clerks" sequel
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 07:25 PM »
I have heard a lot about the Jason Mewes drug problems on Kevin Smith's assorted web sites over the years, but reading the summed up version was a really good way to get a window into it and feel like you know the guy.

I'm not sure how I'd feel being one of his friends (or his friends friends).  It would seem that no one is safe from his blog.

BTW....one thing in that article disturbed me to no end.  It was not drug related, it was that Kevin Smith (even after making it big in Hollywood) is apparently a toy scalper.

Talk about a fallen idol.   Damn.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 07:26 PM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Bumping for the impending release. . .

Anyone else seeing it tomorrow, or this weekend? 

Or are you waiting until. . .
. . .it hits the dollar theaters?
. . .it comes out on DVD?
. . .it hits pay-per-view?
. . .it is shown on an international flight?
. . .it comes out on the premium cable channels?
. . .it hits basic cable?
. . .it's shown on network TV?

From what I've heard, this movie is so filthy, it'll probably never be aired on some of those things, and if it is, it'll be edited down to fifteen minutes long or something. . .

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 04:47 PM »

From what I've heard, this movie is so filthy, it'll probably never be aired on some of those things, and if it is, it'll be edited down to fifteen minutes long or something. . .

Yeah, what's his name from GMA walked out of the screening saying he had enough.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 05:56 PM »
i think that is kinda good news for genuine clerks fans.  i started to watch clerks the other day in anticipation of the sequel and was surprised by the dialogue even though i have seen the movie several times.  if clerks 2 really gets back to its roots, i am kinda surprised most major theaters will play it.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 06:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely going. No midnight show here, so I'll have to see it after work tomorrow.
Got Clones?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 08:45 PM »
Quick report:

Seven walkouts out of maybe 35 people

Worth seeing, for two things:  Randal's analysis of the Lord of the Rings flicks and Rosario Dawson's dancing (hubba, hubba)--but check your sense of morality at the door

That's all.  I'm no movie reviewer.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 08:48 PM »
Someone please describe the filth in this movie. I'm interested in seeing it, but I want to know what I'm in for.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 09:13 PM »
To "describe the filth" would be to give away a bunch of the jokes.  I can say, though, that the language is probably as bad as the first five flicks, combined (which I guess can explain why I've got such a pottymouth this evening).

But here's one hint for you:

Quite a few minutes of the film were spent discussing. . .  shall we say. . .  an act which has it's own smiley on the Internet.  Someone put that very smiley up here a few weeks ago, and Berry was so bothered by it that he took it down.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:52 PM by Matthew »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 11:47 PM »
I'm glad my plans to see this fell through.

Now I'll be spared.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 05:22 AM »
I am a huge Askewniverse fan.

I liked Clerks 2.  Didn't love it.  Liked it.

It is better than Jersey Girl, but the rest of the movies still stand firm in their spots where they were on my lists.

There are some REALLY great scenes in this film and also some not so great ones.  Overall, I think it's a good comedy, with lots of laughs....but I don't think it lived up to what my imagination thought it might be.

As for the "filth", it's more talked about than shown onscreen, but there are a few parts that I can see people being disgusted by.  Certainly nothing I'd EVER watch with a parent, that's for sure.

Got Clones?

Offline Commander_Miseria

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Touching from a distance further all the time..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2006, 01:52 AM »
Im not really sure if it stands up to Clerks (because of the sheer goodness of watching that movie for the first time and such  8) ) but clerks 2 was definitely better then i'd expect a clerks sequel to be (clerks didnt really seem like a movie that should have a sequel). I liked it a lot and being a big Randall fan i loved his dialogue, especially with the triliogy comparisons.  :P

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 07:02 PM »
I really, really enjoyed Clerks 2.  Moreso than I enjoyed the original.  The Christian guy was pretty annoying, but other than that no complaints.  I just must be the target audience for this one because it really spoke to me.

And Rosario Dawson deserves her own photo thread independent of the Top 5 Hotties thread.   ;D
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 12:30 AM »
Finally saw it tonight after not being able to go Friday or Saturday nights.

Loved it.  It has somewhat of a different vibe than the first Clerks movie but some of that had to do with better acting which is definitely not a bad thing.

I agree with Bill, Elias was kind of a pain in the ass.  But the exchange between him, Randall and Kevin Weisman's (Marshall from Alias) character about LOTR was great. 

The scene towards the end between Randall and Dante was flipping brilliant.  All the rest of the standard dick and fart jokes were fine but the friendship and love storylines were very well done.   

E...

"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 10:02 AM »
We caught this on Saturday afternoon, and I thought it was pretty good as well.  In the same line as Kevin Smith's other movies, which I've enjoyed as well.  I thought the story was pretty good too.  Some people tend to miss that sometimes, instead getting caught up in the language and vulgarity.  There was probably only 10-20 people in the theatre when we saw it, but in the row in front of us there were two women probably 65+ years old who got up about a half hour or so in, went "aaaah" and waved at the screen, and walked out.  Kind of funny.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 10:36 AM »
in the row in front of us there were two women probably 65+ years old who got up about a half hour or so in, went "aaaah" and waved at the screen, and walked out.  Kind of funny.

Was one of them this guy in drag, by chance?

"Time to go!  This is the first movie I’ve walked out of in 30 ******* years!"

Before I saw it, my buddy and I had a pool going on how many folks would walk out.  We were all set with our picks, and then right before it started, this group of three women of varying ages walked in.  Might have been a mother, with her mother and daughter, I don't know.  Anyway, we both had them pegged as walkouts even before they got to their seats, and our totals went up by three. 

Sure enough, they didn't let us down.  ;D  They left right around the time of the ATM scene, I believe it was.  What was once a nice little outing at the mall with some shopping and corn dogs in the food court, turned into one of the worst experiences in their lives with the decision to see the "newest wacky comedy" which just came out that day. . .