Author Topic: Episode 1 - Balance of the Force?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Episode 1 - Balance of the Force?
« on: September 11, 2004, 07:34 PM »
Today I found another of the so called "Phantom Edits" of Episode 1, this one called "Balance of the Force". This version, however, doesn't really edit the film, per se. The creator (who goes by the name MagnoliaFan) actually takes the aliens in the film (the Gungans and Neimodians mostly) and makes them speak an alien language. By doing this, he gives you - the viewer - subtitles in English, detailing what has been said. The film is actually much darker this way, as the Neimodian's are revealed to be slave traders.

From the file:

The editor (known only as MagnoliaFan) has, through the use of witty dialogue (via subtitles) and skillful editing, managed to weave a new tale in which a vast amount of character and plot have been drastically changed. The once-vague reason for the ‘blockade’ of Naboo is now brutally clear as the Trade Federation is now depicted as slave traders. Atrocities which were only slightly hinted at in the Phantom Menace are now thrown at you with a terrifyingly casual approach. In addition, a majority of the ‘deleted-scenes’ have been deftly reintegrated into the film and several scenes and bits of dialogue (that fans have deemed unnecessary or plain ridiculous) have been trimmed or cut to enhance the overall feel of the story. ‘Balance of the Force’ has become what some may see as a more mature and true beginning to the Star Wars Saga.   

MagnoliaFan’s masterful yet frighteningly darker vision of ‘The Phantom Menace’ may be considered to be the DEFINITIVE version of STAR WARS: Episode One.

If you happen to find this version anywhere, I would recommend it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 1 - Balance of the Force?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2004, 05:41 PM »
I'd love to see this...

:P

Offline MeBeJedi

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 1 - Balance of the Force?
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2005, 06:45 PM »
You can find more information about this, as well as Magnoliafan's other works, at OriginalTrilogy.com. Rikter will send you a copy for the price of a DVD.