Author Topic: Holiday 2004 Jawas at EE  (Read 6918 times)

SilverZ

Holiday 2004 Jawas at EE
« on: September 14, 2004, 04:40 PM »
Up on EE's site for preorder:

Holiday Edition 2004 Jawas

Don't look too hot, though.  :(

JD needs some lovin'
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 05:15 PM by OCB »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Holiday 2004 Jawas at EE
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 05:05 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

Got my pre-order in, not terribly thrilled but it will probably look OK with Yoda and R2/3PO sets.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 05:06 PM »
Pass, thanks for the news though Jared ;)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 05:57 PM »
Oh...my...God.  You have to be kidding me?  LOL!  They are kind of cute though. 

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 06:40 PM »
That is the worst "exclusive" I've seen so far. I could make something better than that with a Luke figure and some tin foil. And $17.99?? Is that for real?

The other thing that bothers me, and this is more EE's fault than anyone else, is the shipping notice. Estimated arrival December 2004. EE isn't known for keeping their shipping on time. I've ordered things that were supposed to arrive in, say July, and not gotten them until September. What good will getting the Holiday Jawa Exclusive pack in May do for me? Last year I ordered several of the Yoda's and actually used them as Christmas gifts. But I sure as hell ain't gonna chance that one this year. Not to mention how awful that looks.

SilverZ

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty quick and dirty. I wasn't expecting much more than that out of Hasbro of late. It looks like the hands are new on the taller Jawa. Yay. Its not a big deal either way since its not a misfire on something we actually really needed. I'll just put it in a box with all the other Holiday Edition and look at them for 30 seconds every couple of years.

From what I'd heard this was a last-minute rescue of the exclusive from SWS.com/Fan Club. Can you imagine depending on SWS to ship for Xmas with a December arrival?

What I do think is neat about this is the turn to online shops for delivering exclusive merchandise. This type of thing may finally open the door to higher-end exclusives or a home for something like the Cloud Car.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 07:29 PM »
To this set, I give a giant

MEH
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 12:08 AM »
A big pass for me too, and I'm a huge Jawa fan.  They could put SOME effort into it.   ::)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 11:23 PM »
$18 for that rehashed crap?   ::)  That's terrible.  They didn't even alter the figures this time around.  Just rehashed garbage, holding a present.  That's great.  Then to add insult to injury, EE charges $5 more than what the previous two holiday sets cost?  Completely and totally weak.  Just show a tiny bit of effort on these things, that's all I ask.  Something.  Anything?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 12:27 AM »
Something interesting I noticed today. These Jawas appear in the newest EE catalog that I got today - at a price of $14.99. So why are they $3 more if you order them online?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: October 7, 2004, 04:29 PM »
Finally got an answer on why the Jawas are cheaper in the catalog...

"PLEASE NOTE: Some copies of our 2004 Halloween catalog have an incorrect price listed for this item. As stated throughout our catalog, prices are subject to change. In this particular case, this was a typographical error. This item has only been offered at $17.99. No units have been offered at any other retail price."

I guess it was just an "oops"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 7, 2004, 06:00 PM »
A friend of mine named Bill from the Pitt collecting group said he'd sell me his extra 3PO/R2, so I jumped on the Yoda when it resurfaced at SSW.com...  Then I went in on an order with Bill and another chap from the area, so I've started a complete carded set of these figures.  I almost wanna open them and display them at X-Mas time on the table or something.  I'll debate that when I have a full carded set to observe. 

They're nice for what they are, but for what it took to tool moldings, distribute these, etc...  I'd rather have seen a SA army builder put into the basic line or something. 

In business (and life) the term Opportunity Cost comes up a lot, and every time I see any of these side lines, especially when they take new efforts to make them, I always wonder what the alternative foregone was to make these.

I'd skipped the Holiday figs, but since Bill's offered me his extra R2/3PO (which I never saw) I'm on them now.  I figure I can't argue with that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 8, 2004, 08:45 AM »
I kind of wanted to have a "complete set" of these holiday figs as well, and just put them out during the Christmas season.  I never did find the R2/3PO one at retail though, and it seems to be quite pricey online.  I have the Yoda, and hope to pick up the Jawa set as well.  Just something "fun" to have out during the holidays I think.  I kind of hope they keep doing them for awhile.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: October 8, 2004, 09:31 AM »
I've got R2/3PO and Yoda, so I ordered the Jawa set as well.

Every year in my SW Room, I set up a little mini-tree (2-ft) with a string of blinky lights and my SW Ornaments (I collect the SW Vehicle ornaments only) and then I place the Holiday Figures around the tree.  The more I look at them, the more I think they'll fit in OK.

My wife is happy because it keeps the SW "crap" off of her "elegant" looking tree, and I am happy because I get to have the multi-colored blinky lights I like and SW Christmas tree for my own.

:)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 8, 2004, 09:48 AM »
Guess I'll get a set to go with my R2/C-3PO & Yoda sets. Nice to have them set up for X-Mas.