Author Topic: Whats your favorite  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
Whats your favorite
« on: February 20, 2003, 04:00 PM »
What is your favorite book or series.

I will have to say that mine is the Zahn trilogy. It got me hooked on the novels. Now being the completist I am I am pursuing them all ;D  next will be all in HC

I also like that this was the intro of Mara Jade.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re:Whats your favorite
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 06:48 PM »
Easily the Thrawn Series, they had something that has yet to be touched by any other SW's novels in my opinion... I must admit I'm a huge fan of the Rogue Squad books, I read some of them twice and I've got a record of reading one of them (Bacta War?) in 3 days... I never finished the series though, got tired of the Imperials wasting resources.

The reason why I like the Thrawn series is easy - Thrawn. Finally us fans of the bad guys had somebody to cheer for... In fact, when I'm done reading 'Heart of Darkness' (novel version of Apocalypse Now), I think I'll re-read the Thrawn trilogy again.

Here's a good question - Has anyone read the Star Wars trilogy? I've read TPM and AOTC 2 times each, I'm wondering what the OT books are like.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 04:47 PM »
Brad have you read The Hand of Thrawn Duology yet?

I have not at this point as I am making my way up the chain of events but I am hoping they will be as good as the trilogy.

I agree the Thrawn trilogy was very good. It was the first series I read and may have spoiled myself a bit but the other books are pretty good. I haven't hit a real bad one yet.

Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2003, 08:06 AM »
I read the first of the duo, and havent touched the second yet. Its not bad, but not great.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2003, 11:23 AM »
I haven't hit a real bad one yet.

You must not have read any of The Adventures of Lando Trilogy then. I have read many of the novels so far and enjoyed them all but these are the first books that I can honestly say are terrible. I somehow made it thru the first book, stopped shortly into the second book and will never read the third book. They are that bad.

But back on topic the Thrawn trilogy are my favs too. It's what got me hooked on the EU. I too am trying to complete a full set of all the novels. I believe I may have all the HC books so far(half are in storage so I'm still a little unsure if I'm missing 1 or 2) with their PB versions only if they include an ebook with it.  Actually I take that back, I am missing 1 of the 4 covers of the Ep 1 novel. I still need several PB books but with those so easily found in stores, they haven't been a high priority for me to get yet.

I also really enjoyed the Han Solo Trilogy. It was nice to see some backround history of Han and also how he and Chewbaccas relationship came to be. Good stuff.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: What's your favorite
« Reply #5 on: March 2, 2003, 12:37 AM »
Well lookie who's finally poked his nose in here at JD?!  Welcome aboard Jim (chuckles).  Nice to have ya' here.  Looking forward to more of your musings here in the future.

On topic, though I've got about 2/3 of all the EU books released to date, I unfortunately haven't read too many of them - they're just sitting up on the shelves collecting dust.  But of the ones I have read, I'd have to agree with most people and say the Thrawn trilogy was the best - hands down...

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 2, 2003, 01:35 AM »
Thanks for the welcome. I'll certainly be stopping by more often.  :)

Offline Zuckuss44

• Youngling
  • Let my hands speak for me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2003, 10:15 PM »
Well, I haven't read that many books, but have read many of the comic books. I'd have to go with Crimson Empire on this one.

Offline Depmode

• Jedi Initiate
  • Utinni!
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your favorite
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2003, 11:47 PM »
ok the thrawn trilogy was good, I agree with everyone on that... Thrawn was my favorite character for the longest time, and my AOL name for like 3 years was even thrawn related.... but my favorite EU books to date are the JEDI ACADEMY TRILOGY by Kevin J. Anderson. These books were great. I loved the character developement, and the stories were so fast, and Admiral Dala was cool, and Kyp, and the evil Jedi Spirit in the temple... and finally, the spine mine Spider, OMG! It freaked me out reading the part in the book with the spiders in the dark... Yes, that is the best trilogy...

I could never get into rouge squadren... I dunno, just the reading was too... I dunno, " the xwing swooped to the left, then to the right, and chased behind the tie. The engines roared, and the steam vents closed down as the pilot banked to the left." Well that sounds good, but I wrote that lol jk. No really, i dunno, just couldn't get into the non-stop dog fights... found it boring...

The Courtship of Princess Leia is a most read, as it's the book where Han and Leia finally get together, plus the planet filled with the rancors were awesome.

The correllian trilogy got so damn boring by the third book that I never finished it.

The Crystal star was awesome. Dark saber was ok, but it was a QUICK read.

That's all for now.
James
DepmodeETS@aol.com
AIM: DepmodeETS
My lego collection: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Depmode

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 7, 2003, 12:54 PM »
I've read the initial Zahn Thrawn triology then dualolgy (spector of the past/vision of the future), TPM and AotC hardbacks, plus the NJO. I have a few Rogue Squadron books. I remember having the trade paperbacks for Sw and ESB Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy back when but don't know where they are now :(
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #10 on: April 9, 2003, 02:09 AM »
I've only read about 5 books so far, but right now my favorite has to be the "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" and "Shadows of the Empire."  I just absolutely love the short story about IG-88... the bounty hunter tranformed himself into the 2nd Death Star (and eventually destroyed by the Rebellion).
dustrho

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 9, 2003, 01:44 PM »
Instead of adding praise for the Thrawn trilogy (which is well deserved) I'll say my favorite has been the Rogue Squadron series.

Stackpole's and Allston's writing was superb and they dealt with the other hero of the Rebellion, Wedge Antilles.  All of them, including the comics, are must reads IMO.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 04:03 PM »
I've read only Timothy Zahn's Trilogy and Shadows of the Empire.  I really enjoyed all 4 books.  I'm always looking for a list of Star Wars books so I can read them in order.  Anyone know of the order it all supposedly takes place in?

Thanks,

Lemon-Viper
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 04:11 PM »
Lemon-Viper, you should check out the Books section at theforce.net. They have a good timeline over there for pretty much everything that has been released. They also have a listing of just the novels which is also in order of when they take place.  

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 06:21 PM »
Thanks for the help Chuckles! ;D  Does your name have any GI Joe connections to it???   Chuckles is one of my favorites from the Special Missions Joe comics.
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.